• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a sensitive sense of smell? Can you smell temperature?

Madame Catfish

...Fascinating...
I know aspies have overtly sensitive senses in general, but what about smell in particular?

Can you tell if something is hot or cold by the smell of it?

Do you ever get a sensory overload from smell alone?

Just curious. I'm hoping I'm not alone over here. : ) Does anybody have any other unusual sensory capabilities (eyesight, hearing, etc)?

I can sometimes smell if it's going to rain, snow or be frosty.. and it feels like I use my nose to tell which direction I'm facing.

I have a stupidly sensitive nose. When in junior high, where gum was not allowed, the teachers would sometimes use me as a sort of "drug dog" to sniff out the people with gum in their backpacks. I can smell it even when it's not being chewed or hidden in a backpack. I can also smell just about any kind of anti-depressant, melatonin, tylenol, advil, and vitamin supplements in tablet form if I am in the same room as them, even if they are in a bag (but not inside a bottle). What about you, is there anything "weird" that you can sniff out?

I can also recognise cancer patients by nose, but I'm not quite sure if it's the cancer itself that I can smell, or some sort of medication they take, or some result of chemotherapy.
I can also smell angry animals (people included), but that might be common. When pigs get angry, it smells like blood, which might just be all of their blood rushing to their skin because the yorkshire hogs can get really red when angry. I identify with pigs for this reason. They don't really communicate in overtly complex facial movements, as humans do, but rather release smells that others can interpret. I can sometimes smell a scared or especially happy pig. Honey Bees can be that way, too.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I can recognise something as really hot or cold by smell. Sometimes something will be taken out of the microwave that is too far away to directly feel, but I can tell its temperature by smell- Cold is sharper and clearer and heat is more mellow and earthy. Is this normal for an aspie?

I'm not a particularly emotional person, but smells can really get to me. I have a friend, for instance, who used to wear a cologne (Black, by rue 21) in 2010-11, that I miss. Sometimes a whiff of that smell can make me really sad thinking about missing him, to the point where I get teary, which is really unusual for me.

Can you sleep in hotel rooms with all of the new smells and textures, or does it get to you?

Sometimes I get upset when the house is cleaned because it changes smells and makes it harder to sleep or concentrate, anyone here the same way?

Do any of you identify with certain animals, like pigs?

This post is becoming ridiculously long. I should probably stop. I'm addicted to writing like that.

I can sometimes smell if it's going to rain, snow or be frosty.. and it feels like I use my nose to tell which direction I'm facing.
Huh. Do different directions smell different or do you determine which way you are facing by recognising familiar smells around you? That's really neat!

Huh. Do different directions smell different or do you determine which way you are facing by recognising familiar smells around you? That's really neat!

I don't know, I always had a good sense of direction, though a rubbish memory for roads. But I noticed recently that I kinda wave my nose in the air to tell direction.. maybe I've got a pigeon stuck up there :D

I don't know, I always had a good sense of direction, though a rubbish memory for roads. But I noticed recently that I kinda wave my nose in the air to tell direction.. maybe I've got a pigeon stuck up there :D
Lol, you think it has something to do with your sense of balance? The fluids in our sinuses help us with that sort of thing, maybe waving your nose around helps with that!

Lol, you think it has something to do with your sense of balance? The fluids in our sinuses help us with that sort of thing, maybe waving your nose around helps with that!

I see no reason why humans can't detect the Earths magnetic field, or earthquakes, come to that.. I read somewhere.. ah, 'Standing Down Falling Up' by Nita Jackson, that some people with AS/ASD are sensitive to quakes 2-3 days before they happen, just as animals are..
Next I'm gonna try flying and breathing underwater :D

I see no reason why humans can't detect the Earths magnetic field, or earthquakes, come to that.. I read somewhere.. ah, 'Standing Down Falling Up' by Nita Jackson, that some people with AS/ASD are sensitive to quakes 2-3 days before they happen, just as animals are..
Next I'm gonna try flying and breathing underwater :D
You go for it! You're going to be the first mermaidpteradcatylaspie the world has ever seen!!

I know aspies have overtly sensitive senses in general, but what about smell in particular?

Can you tell if something is hot or cold by the smell of it?

Do you ever get a sensory overload from smell alone?

Just curious. I'm hoping I'm not alone over here. : ) Does anybody have any other unusual sensory capabilities (eyesight, hearing, etc)?

I can bloody smell everything! Sometimes I feel its in my head because apparently everyone else can't smell it. I can deconstruct a meal and then recreate it using taste, and hearing wise super sonic cat scarers that are meant to be heard by cats drive me mad!

I can bloody smell everything! Sometimes I feel its in my head because apparently everyone else can't smell it. I can deconstruct a meal and then recreate it using taste, and hearing wise super sonic cat scarers that are meant to be heard by cats drive me mad!
You can, too?!!! I hate those things, some people have them in their yards to keep their dogs in and it hurts like crazy!! Have you ever considered the culinary arts?

My sense of smell is annoying at times since I pick up so many things other people seem to miss, including those times when I smelled a tiny gasleak around the house and no one even smelled it.

I often end up being able to identify people by smell; which is rather handy since I fail at recognizing faces at times.

I can smell warm and cold things, but I think it has to do with the heat or cold coming from for instance the food.. it has little to do with smell I think but more with hot or cold air coming in your nose. On the topic of cold; I like the smell of snow.

I'm very sensitive to smell - I can smell all sorts of things that others don't notice, pleasant and unpleasant, and a certain smell can evoke strong images and memories from the past. Some smells bother me a lot because they are so intense and overwhelming - things such as perfumes, deoderants and cleaning fluids. Someone lighting up a cigarette in my presence will send me fleeing from the room, I can't stand the things!

Oh my gosh! I guess this is coincidental, but last night I smelled a bowl of the Fritos, chili and beans I heated up, and all I could think was, "People are gonna find me so odd if they ever catch me doing this..."

But yeah, I can. I don't have to be close, or I can be. Like, if I just got out of the shower, hot things are going to feel normal to me (or if it was a cold one, then cold things). But even when/if I can feel the heat of things, they all have different scents when their temperatures change -- most times, it's something I can smell but others can't.

I suppose a pro to this that affects others, too, is that I'm usually the first to smell if something's burning/overheating.

I can also have something making in the oven (back of the house) and be in my room with the door shut (front of the house) and be able to smell when it's done... but I use a timer, of course, because some people prefer that/feel the need for a time. It's also my proof that I'm paying attention to it well. >.>

Once upon a time, my sense of smell was incredible. However, I have been a regular smoker for a number of years, now, so it has dulled quite a lot. Moral of the story: Don't take up smoking. (Seriously. In retrospect, it wasn't worth it.)

You can, too?!!! I hate those things, some people have them in their yards to keep their dogs in and it hurts like crazy!! Have you ever considered the culinary arts?

Haha I think you can tell by my safety equipment I work less with edible materials and more hazardous :p
However I make an excellent sniffer dog in case of a Sulphide, chloride, or fluoride gas leak (if the alarms don't work haha)

Interestingly, I can smell the bodies of a couple of people (not sweat or the lack of a shower, just the people themselves), but not of everyone. My best friend smells very good. A certain other person doesn't, but has a nice personality that makes up for it. I don't know why I can smell their bodies but not other people's.

I can't smell temperature explicitly, I don't think so anyway, but I recognize the smell of freon and hot metal pretty easy. Even if it's too faint for my skin to pick up on a temperature change, I know if the AC or heater has ran recently. Hot and cold food also have a slightly different smell, as does hot and cold water, but I can't pinpoint it enough to say why.

And there is this one blasted annoying breed of ant. I don't know what they are, I've heard them called sugar ants, grease ants, and piss ants, but they come in drastically different sizes per colony and when you squish them they STINK. It's some kind of weird rotten sweet smell, never smelled anything like it. It's one thing I'm dreading about working with my grandmother this year, she just laughs at me when I tell her they stink and give me a headache.

Speaking of working with her, there is this one old woman in our office that runs this "ozone machine" that's supposed to purify the air. I know exactly when she runs it because it puts out this... round/blue/cold smell (weird description, sorry, it's what comes to mind) that burns my nose and lungs and gives me a splitting headache. I hate that machine. But I'm the only one it bothers. She says it's to make the office smell better after stinky clients or loudly perfumed clients visit. Yeah, sure, by putting out a worse stink than what they had!

I have a good sense of smell for many things and a lack of smell for other things.

I can't smell temperature from far away.

I hold my breath when walking by most people, because I don't want to smell them.

Some smells are so bad I want to run out of the building. These change over time.

Most cologne/perfume makes me hold my breath and look for an exit.

My grandmother always told me to stop smelling my food, because I smelled all food before I put it in my mouth.

I've never seen an angry pig, but this possibility of smelling emotions sounds very interesting.

I have a stupidly sensitive nose. When in junior high, where gum was not allowed, the teachers would sometimes use me as a sort of "drug dog" to sniff out the people with gum in their backpacks. I can smell it even when it's not being chewed or hidden in a backpack. I can also smell just about any kind of anti-depressant, melatonin, tylenol, advil, and vitamin supplements in tablet form if I am in the same room as them, even if they are in a bag (but not inside a bottle). What about you, is there anything "weird" that you can sniff out?

I can also recognise cancer patients by nose, but I'm not quite sure if it's the cancer itself that I can smell, or some sort of medication they take, or some result of chemotherapy.
I can also smell angry animals (people included), but that might be common. When pigs get angry, it smells like blood, which might just be all of their blood rushing to their skin because the yorkshire hogs can get really red when angry. I identify with pigs for this reason. They don't really communicate in overtly complex facial movements, as humans do, but rather release smells that others can interpret. I can sometimes smell a scared or especially happy pig. Honey Bees can be that way, too.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I can recognise something as really hot or cold by smell. Sometimes something will be taken out of the microwave that is too far away to directly feel, but I can tell its temperature by smell- Cold is sharper and clearer and heat is more mellow and earthy. Is this normal for an aspie?

I'm not a particularly emotional person, but smells can really get to me. I have a friend, for instance, who used to wear a cologne (Black, by rue 21) in 2010-11, that I miss. Sometimes a whiff of that smell can make me really sad thinking about missing him, to the point where I get teary, which is really unusual for me.

Can you sleep in hotel rooms with all of the new smells and textures, or does it get to you?

Sometimes I get upset when the house is cleaned because it changes smells and makes it harder to sleep or concentrate, anyone here the same way?

Do any of you identify with certain animals, like pigs?

This post is becoming ridiculously long. I should probably stop. I'm addicted to writing like that.

But what this eventually boils down to is that you're a superhuman. :cool: Better than X-men

New Threads

Top Bottom