• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a sensitive sense of smell? Can you smell temperature?

But what this eventually boils down to is that you're a superhuman. :cool: Better than X-men

I can see it now- NOSTRIL WOMAN! Saving citizens from propane leaks since two days ago! lol.

I wouldn't exactly call it super-human, but most aspies have some pretty impressive abilities do to our sensory sensitivities.

Speaking of working with her, there is this one old woman in our office that runs this "ozone machine" that's supposed to purify the air. I know exactly when she runs it because it puts out this... round/blue/cold smell (weird description, sorry, it's what comes to mind) that burns my nose and lungs and gives me a splitting headache. I hate that machine. But I'm the only one it bothers. She says it's to make the office smell better after stinky clients or loudly perfumed clients visit. Yeah, sure, by putting out a worse stink than what they had!

I'd tell her to toss that thing out the window, or do it for her. Ozone, while occurring naturally in the air we breathe is a toxic gas at high levels. It is a respiratory irritant. It is generated in variable quantities by many electrical devices, especially high voltage equipment. The maximum allowable concentration is .050ppm, the average person can detect concentration levels at .003ppm. It's not that hard for a generator to exceed health standards, especially in smaller enclosed spaces.

Speaking of working with her, there is this one old woman in our office that runs this "ozone machine" that's supposed to purify the air. I know exactly when she runs it because it puts out this... round/blue/cold smell (weird description, sorry, it's what comes to mind) that burns my nose and lungs and gives me a splitting headache. I hate that machine. But I'm the only one it bothers. She says it's to make the office smell better after stinky clients or loudly perfumed clients visit. Yeah, sure, by putting out a worse stink than what they had!

"The ozone released from the devices is another deal-breaking shortcoming, Sublett says. Ozone is a pollutant and an irritant. Even small amounts are too much. People who use several units at a time are especially likely to get an ozone overload, he says. One of Sublett's patients noticed a great improvement in her breathing when she turned off the six ionic purifiers in her home."

Ionic purifiers' dirty secret - Los Angeles Times

I'm like a dog when it comes to smell and hearing. So yeah cold and hot have a different smell sensation to me. My sense of smell gives me a mental image. It also can effect me emotionally. I also tend to recognize people by their smell. When I'm having a meltdown, usually it's the smell of the person trying to comfort me that I notice. The smell of my dad and cousin are the most reassuring to me.

My sense of smell is very sensitive, but I've spent so much of my life around such a wide range of smells that I'm more desensitized. Except for tobacco smoke and petroleum distillates/solvents. They go right to my head and make me feel bad, have to get away.

I'm like a dog when it comes to smell and hearing. So yeah cold and hot have a different smell sensation to me. My sense of smell gives me a mental image. It also can effect me emotionally. I also tend to recognize people by their smell. When I'm having a meltdown, usually it's the smell of the person trying to comfort me that I notice. The smell of my dad and cousin are the most reassuring to me.
Same here, my counsellor at school thought I was going crazy when I described her smell in visual terms (light tan- a little light yellow, rectangular, but with an angle) Nice to meet someone else like that. Maybe we need to come up with a "Nasal Power" sub-community, lol.

I like your profile pic, by the way. : )

Same here, my counsellor at school thought I was going crazy when I described her smell in visual terms (light tan- a little light yellow, rectangular, but with an angle) Nice to meet someone else like that. Maybe we need to come up with a "Nasal Power" sub-community, lol.

Nasal Power! I like it haha

I like your profile pic, by the way. : )

Thanks! That's Cosmic Cat. My cousin made several versions for me. Here's the one I have on Govteen

I'd tell her to toss that thing out the window, or do it for her. Ozone, while occurring naturally in the air we breathe is a toxic gas at high levels. It is a respiratory irritant. It is generated in variable quantities by many electrical devices, especially high voltage equipment. The maximum allowable concentration is .050ppm, the average person can detect concentration levels at .003ppm. It's not that hard for a generator to exceed health standards, especially in smaller enclosed spaces.
"The ozone released from the devices is another deal-breaking shortcoming, Sublett says. Ozone is a pollutant and an irritant. Even small amounts are too much. People who use several units at a time are especially likely to get an ozone overload, he says. One of Sublett's patients noticed a great improvement in her breathing when she turned off the six ionic purifiers in her home."

Ionic purifiers' dirty secret - Los Angeles Times
Eek! Thank goodness she rarely turns that awful thing on...

The problem with 80+ year old women is they aren't too concerned about protecting their health. XD

I cant smell certain things but then when it comes to things like certain foods or the smell of petrol (love that smell links to my love for the automobile) my mind quickly picks it up it must be a evolutionary advantage so to speak

I've a very sensitive nose too. I call it "The Super Sniffer" (I borrowed the expression from the TV series "Psych" :D ) and it's quite a scourge!!! Sometimes I'd like having a switch! I've a very bad habit: when I walk into a room, I "sniff" (like a dog, lol) and if I smell something wrong...I say it aloud. Last week I walked into a colleague's office, I sniffed and I said: "Oh, it's smelling like fish". The colleague wasn't very happy. :confused:

I've a very sensitive nose too. I call it "The Super Sniffer" (I borrowed the expression from the TV series "Psych" :D ) and it's quite a scourge!!! Sometimes I'd like having a switch! I've a very bad habit: when I walk into a room, I "sniff" (like a dog, lol) and if I smell something wrong...I say it aloud. Last week I walked into a colleague's office, I sniffed and I said: "Oh, it's smelling like fish". The colleague wasn't very happy. :confused:
Same here! It can be a pain, especially when driving by chemical plants that other people cannot smell!

I know aspies have overtly sensitive senses in general, but what about smell in particular?

Can you tell if something is hot or cold by the smell of it?

Do you ever get a sensory overload from smell alone?

Just curious. I'm hoping I'm not alone over here. : ) Does anybody have any other unusual sensory capabilities (eyesight, hearing, etc)?

I am extremely sensitive to smell I reckon I could be a sniffer dog in my next life
I can't read newspaper because of the toxic smell of the print ink
I walked past a house once and could smell gas so put a note in their letterbox in case there was a leak
maybe I did some good there

My sense of smell is not very sensitive. I alaways put that down to being exposed to degreasing agents like trichlorethylene in the days before health & safety said it was harmful.

I think my sense of smell acts like it has a mind of it's own. I will explain what I mean. Sometimes I get a distinct whiff of crap. It's then I know that I will either have to sort out a naughty or ill dog, or change a nappy. The weird thing is, I can be about 50 meters away, with closed doors and walls in between, and I can still smell it. When I get to the source of the smell, it's not abnormally potent. .. Somehow, my nose knows [emoji4]

I don't have the best smell. It means my smell isn't that sensitive. Of course I get irritated by bad smells but I'm often not able to distinguish similar smells.
Nevertheless I adore pine, Asian foods and coffee smells.

New Threads

Top Bottom