• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ever cry?

I very rarely cry. As a child for some reason I adopted the attitude that crying is weak, for those who aren't strong, etc. I still get quite impatient and uncomfortable with crying, and I'm ashamed of myself when I do cry. For me, it's what happens after about 5 months of bottling everything inside, (I'm a "bottler").
Same. I'm a bottler too.

I've been going through a bout of depression, so I am prone to the occasional, brief, random bout of crying. Even in good times, I cry at movies and TV shows. I cry whenever I come across something that triggers my experiences with mental illness (I cried at Robin Williams' death for that reason, even though I've never cared about any other celebrity death, ever).

Yup, I can be an emotional basket case. :)

Oh goodness... I hope your pastor will be okay. There was a darling old pastor I knew most of my young life and I was terribly upset when he died. He was 92, so I couldn't complain about it, but it still hurt. He had a huge influence on my opinions of kindness, acceptance, and how to be a good person. I've never known a gentler man.

I have a delayed reaction to deaths. I think it's some weird play of balance and sense of responsibility. During the initial shock, everybody I know is upset and needing support. I instinctively suppress my emotions and focus on them. When they're more under control, I take my turn, like I'm rationing out our turns to grieve. I have no idea why I've worked out that way. It's a bit quicker with pets though. I guess because I know they aren't going to be as attached and devastated with a dog like they would a person, so I let go much sooner. When I had to have my cat put down (again, 17, couldn't complain about a short life), I wore my sunglasses all day so nobody would know how bad it tore me up.

Other than that, I don't cry much. I may during a really stressful argument, or if I have a bad memory plaguing me for days, but I don't cry around people much. I can go a few months between crying if it's just me and my issues. Some shows and stories are trying, but I can keep it reined in until I'm by myself.

Oh goodness... I hope your pastor will be okay. There was a darling old pastor I knew most of my young life and I was terribly upset when he died. He was 92, so I couldn't complain about it, but it still hurt. He had a huge influence on my opinions of kindness, acceptance, and how to be a good person. I've never known a gentler man.

He's still in the hospital...he's way too young for this sort of thing (just in his mid-50's) and takes good care of himself.

His speech has cleared up, and he seems to be thinking pretty clearly, all things considered. Emotionally he seems more distant than usual, at least in person. And last I heard, he still doesn't have much movement in his left side. I'm planning to go see him again tomorrow. They're looking for a rehab placement now.

I have a delayed reaction to deaths. I think it's some weird play of balance and sense of responsibility. During the initial shock, everybody I know is upset and needing support. I instinctively suppress my emotions and focus on them. When they're more under control, I take my turn, like I'm rationing out our turns to grieve. I have no idea why I've worked out that way. It's a bit quicker with pets though. I guess because I know they aren't going to be as attached and devastated with a dog like they would a person, so I let go much sooner. When I had to have my cat put down (again, 17, couldn't complain about a short life), I wore my sunglasses all day so nobody would know how bad it tore me up.

This sounds similar to my experiences. It's like I keep everything at a distance until the necessities are dealt with, then slowly the reality starts to seep in. Sometimes it takes years. I had a professor in grad school who was pregnant and died during childbirth right at the end of the semester. I've slowly been mourning her death off and on for 20 years now.

When I lost a baby to miscarriage a few years ago, though, it was different, especially the first of the two. It hit a lot sooner, and a lot harder. I had no idea I could hurt so much.

Losing pets doesn't really bother me, though. My DH was really torn up each time we've lost a dog (3 during our 20 years of marriage), but I only cried for the first one. And that one, I only cried once. The other two died about the same time as my two miscarriages, and honestly, I just couldn't be bothered about a dog when I was grieving the loss of my babies.

Other than that, I don't cry much. I may during a really stressful argument, or if I have a bad memory plaguing me for days, but I don't cry around people much. I can go a few months between crying if it's just me and my issues. Some shows and stories are trying, but I can keep it reined in until I'm by myself.

About the same here. If I cry at all, it's usually just a couple of tears, and I guess that scares me or something, and I have to stuff it back in.

He's still in the hospital...he's way too young for this sort of thing (just in his mid-50's) and takes good care of himself.

His speech has cleared up, and he seems to be thinking pretty clearly, all things considered. Emotionally he seems more distant than usual, at least in person. And last I heard, he still doesn't have much movement in his left side. I'm planning to go see him again tomorrow. They're looking for a rehab placement now.

Any movement is a good sign to me. =)
I've recently read an article on how they're experimenting with robot aids and rigorous exercising to stimulate the brain to regrow the damaged cells that control those lost functions. I don't know if it helps with very fine motor functions like artistry, but the outlook for stroke patients is much cheerier than it used to be. I don't know if the robot and heavy exercise is still in testing or starting to spread to rehab centers

This sounds similar to my experiences. It's like I keep everything at a distance until the necessities are dealt with, then slowly the reality starts to seep in. Sometimes it takes years. I had a professor in grad school who was pregnant and died during childbirth right at the end of the semester. I've slowly been mourning her death off and on for 20 years now.

When I lost a baby to miscarriage a few years ago, though, it was different, especially the first of the two. It hit a lot sooner, and a lot harder. I had no idea I could hurt so much.

Losing pets doesn't really bother me, though. My DH was really torn up each time we've lost a dog (3 during our 20 years of marriage), but I only cried for the first one. And that one, I only cried once. The other two died about the same time as my two miscarriages, and honestly, I just couldn't be bothered about a dog when I was grieving the loss of my babies.
Double condolences. My sister had one miscarriage, and that was an awful blow. I can understand not mourning a pet with something like that on your mind.

About the same here. If I cry at all, it's usually just a couple of tears, and I guess that scares me or something, and I have to stuff it back in.
Just curious, does it make your throat really hurt? I don't know if it's normal hurt or Aspie overachieving nerve-endings hurt, but whenever my throat "gets a lump" is when I get my biggest urge to suppress it.

I cry when something reaches me or when I feel defeated by life. I don't remember ever crying for things I've seen others in my life cry for, funerals, dogs passing away and etc.

It doesn't happen too often but when I cry, I retreat myself to an isolated room and do it because I see what happens around me. I cry for the humans who seal their fate everyday, damaging one the other and even hurting themselves by growing the darkness in their soul. I see the tragic and drama of tommorow and what makes me suffer is that humanity can always choose, between good and evil. And the sad part is that we are tending to choose the second option ...

I don't know if it helps with very fine motor functions like artistry, but the outlook for stroke patients is much cheerier than it used to be. I don't know if the robot and heavy exercise is still in testing or starting to spread to rehab centers

I'll keep that in mind--might not be necessary for him because he's so determined to get back into his life. He'll push himself pretty hard. :)

Just curious, does it make your throat really hurt? I don't know if it's normal hurt or Aspie overachieving nerve-endings hurt, but whenever my throat "gets a lump" is when I get my biggest urge to suppress it.

Yes! Actually, my throat hurts very often. It's really tight. I guess this is kind of OCD-type stuff, and it might not make sense...when I think of things that are "bad", like sicknesses or tragedies or evil people or whatever, I have to tighten my throat to "resist" it coming into the inside of me (strange, I know). Since I'm constantly thinking of possible courses of events that I don't want to happen, my throat stays pretty tight most of the time. It's been like this for as long as I can remember, so now oftentimes I can't even make it relax. Is that just really strange? I know it's not "normal", and many times as an adult I've tried to make myself stop thinking like that...stop thinking that "tightening my throat and breathing out" when bad things cross my thoughts will keep them out of my life. But I can't make it stop. If I don't "keep it out", my anxiety level rises exponentially and I feel like I'm about to lose myself in a panic.

I cry from time to time. I cry when someone that I look up to passes away and I don't get support from my family. There were a couple of times that I cried over the past 12 months, due to my thinking that things haven't changed for trans people in the past 30 years. I cry when I witness child abuse or pet abuse from a distance, as opposed to when it happens close to where I am. I can see why I remind my mum of a certain member of my favourite band, because I'm so sensitive.

Yep. Just read my posts. (You can start with my first post of today!) :p Thank goodness I'm a girl - it makes crying somewhat acceptable.

Not everyone cries at the same times or for the same things. I didn't really cry at my grandfather's funeral until my father teared up while speaking.

My pastor had a stroke yesterday morning. It's pretty serious. He is greatly loved and admired in our small church. He's the closest I've ever had to a healthy father, even though I don't get to spend a lot of time with him. But I haven't cried yet. I rarely cry. I spent all day at the hospital yesterday, and mostly was just numb. Is this an aspie thing?

I find myself mostly mourning the impact this will have on his life and his family...his children are grown but still pretty young. He owns his own business...no idea yet how long until he can go back to work, if at all. He loves playing golf and playing the guitar...he may never do either again.

But he's a fighter--I've never known someone so committed to LIFE.

It is rare that I cry, very rare to almost being non-existent. The last time I cried is when I found out my Father died about two years ago - When I cried then it was barely a full, real, deep cry and it lasted for less then a minute. When I went to his wake a few days later I did not cry nor did I feel anything about his death. Numb. I sat outside the funeral home most of the time that night and chain-smoked.

I think I am a very sensitive person and there are times when I feel tears welling up inside me but for some reason they cannot physically escape; When this occurs I get this tightness in my throat and it feels like it is burning. This is due to, I believe, me repressing something, and the feeling/emotion tries to get out somehow, hence appearing as a physical sensation, the tightness/burning off my throat.

I am also a person who infrequently cries. I don't cry at death and have gotten in trouble with people for that. When I do cry, emotionally it's like a thunderstorm and I don't like it.

New Threads

Top Bottom