• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ever cry?

I rarely cry. Like someone else on this thread said, I felt it was a sign of weakness so I stopped myself from crying back when I was prone to. The problem with that is, I can't cry now when I normally should and feel like I should. I can usually only cry when I'm drinking, but then again everybody has a "drunk cry". My mother died last May and I could cry then when I drank something but couldn't cry at other times. I was dry eyed at the funeral and I was the only one who was. Even my husband teared up but I didn't.

When I cry now, and sober, you know it's something that is seriously hurting me so my husband takes my crying very seriously unlike some husbands whose wives cry a lot, I suppose.

In a way I still feel that crying shows weakness when I do it, but I don't feel that way when others cry. I don't like to see men cry except over something like a death. For some reason I do buy into the double standard about men crying. I get very uncomfortable when a man cries around me unless it's over a death.

I usually cry in response to built-up frustration, but not as a response to grief. I sometimes have crying meltdowns.

I cry quite often, both alone and around others. Usually it's a few tears that seem to accompany strong emotions, or realising tension after bottling something up. I do not mind those who know me seeing me cry, even work collegues I don't mind. I do try to make it less obvious if I'm around strangers though, as I don't want the awkward attention.

I used to think crying showed weakness, but a programme I saw when in school explained there is nothing wrong with crying, and it releases a pain killing chemical into your body that makes you feel calm and happy. I have never worried about it since.

I could not care less if people know I'm a grown man who on the odd occasion cries around other people. If only that was all I had to deal with in life. :)

I cry at least once a month. I think its a healthy thing to do. Not crying over little things, but things that matter like depression or missing friends or being stressed out. Its a good way to relieve the negative emotions. After having a good cry I always feel so much better.

I cry a lot. Usually in response to anger or frustration, rather than like sadness. For example, when I heard a family member had passed away, I couldn't cry. But if I am having difficulty communicating, the floodgates open. Idk.

Answering the original question I "heard," you may be in shock, which is pretty typical and has nothing to do with being aspie in this case, so far as I can tell.

I can cry, with difficulty, because I have to override other emotions and blocks first.

I can cry when feeling stuck, frustrated, not able to gain an understanding of something important. I do not cry for situations and events that normally make people cry. Once every few years I do seem to notice how alone I have been for decades now, and some tears come for expressing that. I think of it as necessary and natural passing storm; as I enjoy and prefer my solitude and peace.:evergreen:

Last edited:
I cry but its rare,OliveOilMom longtime no see this is my new home from Wrong Planet, i was banned there but feel more home here snd making progress i just hope your not banned here, i consider you as an old friend.

I cry probably an average amount. When my leopard gecko died, I spent the entire day doing nothing but crying, I was so heartbroken. But I have had other times where I feel like I really should be crying but mostly just feel numb.

As much ad I HATE HATE HATE to admit it,.. I do cry myself to sleep at night sometimes.. I just get overwhelmed by.. life.. Especially having to get through it with a sensory disorder and a lack of understanding of things..

New Threads

Top Bottom