• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do the Aspie Stare?

I hadn't realized that my stare is so obvious. I went donating blood the other day and the nurse asked me five times if I was ok. They usually ask once if at all. I never get nauseated while giving blood, seeing needles or seeing blood of others or my own splurt around. Maybe I was just staring and making her confused. Oh well.

I think I'm pretty lucky with mine in that everyone I spend time with are used to my expression (or lack thereof). When I first got with my fianc? he used to ask me if I was OK like 4 times a day, but now he just lets me get on with it. Whatever 'it' is :)

I do it a lot. I wear sunglasses when I'm in public most of the time.That way if do the "Aspie stare" I don't offend people or make them feel uncomfortable.

I have always been able to fake a believable smile for pictures, but I still do like having my picture taken. I have pics from my early years and the smiles are so natural, now they are forced. :/

I don't stare, it just looks that way. I can't decide whether I should say, "actually, it was you who just walked into my field of vision, I was already looking that way and thinking about something entirely else." It's true, but even I can see how it would be rude.

Actually, that's not so… but I can only envision their reaction to be deeply insulted, so I don't.

image.jpg well, do I?

Yes, usually only when I'm zoning out at home or in class. I never ever stare at PEOPLE though, it's always objects. Because I hate it when people stare at me, so I take into consideration not to stare at them. Haha, but yeah I can really go deep into thought and just look totally dead. I always avoid eye contact with people though, because I find it difficult to talk while looking into their eyes, and I'm also afraid I'd start staring.

Yes, usually only when I'm zoning out at home or in class. I never ever stare at PEOPLE though, it's always objects. Because I hate it when people stare at me, so I take into consideration not to stare at them. Haha, but yeah I can really go deep into thought and just look totally dead. I always avoid eye contact with people though, because I find it difficult to talk while looking into their eyes, and I'm also afraid I'd start staring.

Well, I don't generally stare at people intentionally, but when I start thinking on particular subjects, people can walk into my field of view and I won't notice. Then I'll wind up staring at them for who knows how long and...

Awkward situations often result.

I smile in all photos. I love smiling in photos because I feel prettier. But I do the aspie stare when I'm alone or in a deep thought.

I can't even tell. That's how much subtlety I pick up on in faces: none.

Yea I think I do. There are a bunch of pictures of me doing this. I can now kind of realize when I am doing it and it feels like a lot haha.

Yep, all the time. I can't fake smile at all, and never smile in photos because I don't know how without looking very strange. I don't like pictures of myself for that reason. When I'm focused or thinking, I usually have a constant furrowed brow, though. That's really the only other face I make (at least that I realize). The only time I really smile is when I'm laughing. Otherwise, even if I was smiling, I wouldn't be able to tell. Sometimes I feel like I'm smiling, but I'm actually not. Its very strange.

Usually when I am very tired (72+ hours awake) the stare and blank expression is clearly evident, most other times a smile plays on my lips, something between a Cheshire Cat Grin and a Cat Smile. I've received mixed reviews on how natural the smile appears, I also do things like close my eyes and tilt my head to the side and make a little te-he sound in my throat. My playful nature borders on the extreme, I like to stare straight at people and force their eyes to meet mine, making the blush or look away quickly, which sends a shiver of amusement down my spine. :bounce:

I always make a point to smile for pictures (even though it feels weird and fake), but I've noticed that my posture and expression usually looks exactly the same. Fun observation, though. Last time I was having my picture taken (for a costume party, so I was in character, and not smiling), my sister remarked that I'm "always scowling." So, maybe I'm not as good about always smiling as I thought? Hmm...

I guess I do too. More often than not. Might explain why people are more apt to ask me if there's something wrong than simply say, "Hello".

New Threads

Top Bottom