• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Do Something Your Own Way?

Two which spring to mind are holding a pen at a 90 degree angle to write rather than with it pointing over my shoulder. The other would be holding my fork oddly - hard to describe but a bit like some of the awkward shapes you need to make to play the guitar.

Dishes. In general. My mother often gets angry because i have to rinse each one seperately. the thought of putting my hands into a huge sink full of water with bits of food in it makes me reallllly uncomfortable.

I end up doing things my own way largely because I have trouble following directions. I do well with visual direction, but written or verbal directions are difficult.

I have a thing about machines and efficient operation. In my own world, I figure out the best way for a machine to work and then keep doing it that way. However, this gets me in trouble at times. My wife does not seem to appreciate me telling her the most efficient way to load the dish washer. My neighbor did not seem to care that I had a better way to mow his lawn. In fact he said something to me that was not very nice. Oh well, I will keep doing things my way, even if others do not appreciate the value of my way.

Sometimes when my wife is not looking, I will rearrange the dishes in the dish washer so that they will get cleaner and you can get more dishes in it.

I do the dishwasher thing.

I find the optimum arrangement and I rearrange the load when my wife does it.

I get quite stressed at the thought of guests putting my global knives in the dishwasher too, and I got my wife's send a text to her cousin when she stayed telling her not to do it.

She also put porridge covered spoons and bowls in that coats everything in ick and stick.

I used to set up people's TV's and monitors to optimum visual performance but they didn't appreciate that very much.

I use scissors to cut pizza, because they do a fantastic job and better than any pizza cutters. In fact, my scissors come in handy for many things that are usually not acheived by using scissors lol

That is what comes to mind right now.

A few years ago I basically taught myself HTML and MS Visual Basic from books... And the "Powers that be" say I have a learning disability!

I always try to find the optimal way of doing something as efficiently as possible, then stick to that. For example, I was the dishes in a certain order and stack them in a certain way.

At the supermarket, I go round the aisles in a specific order, put my purchases on the conveyor belt in a certain order and pack them in a certain way (though I don't think this is actually so unusual behaviour).

Also, avoiding situations in which I don't feel comfortable dictates the way I do things, for example, in the metro I use the stairs and not the escalator, I go to the end to the last carriage and not to the middle ones which are always more crowded. I never take the lift, always use the stairs.

Also, I don't follow fashions and trends automatically just because everyone else is doing it, so no, I don't have an iphone and I don't need to have a new smartphone every year. I don't have a tablet (don't need one). I don't have internet on my phone as well as my PC. I don't rush out to see the latest Hollywood blockbuster, don't play video games or keep up with celebrities or soaps or chart music - I like my own thing and do my own thing, and do things because I want to do them, not because everyone else happens to do them. Everyone else can do what they want and I will do what I want and everything is ok.

Don't know if this counts but I use superglue to heal guts in my skin instead of plasters.

Works much better, and is used in heart surgery.

I don't get it in the cut, just on the outside and smear it about so it makes a virtual skin layer.

I have never been able to hold a pen correctly. Many teachers tried to teach me to do it correctly, but I could never write that way. I'm assuming it has something to do with my motor skills, but I wasn't diagnosed till I was 29, so I never really figured out the specific reason why. Sometimes my hands cramp up writing the way I do, but I can't write any other way.

I also couldn't do mathematics the way they wanted me to in school. They would always get mad because I couldn't show my steps to solving the problem, but a lot of it went on in my head, and I couldn't figure out how to translate it to the format they wanted. My mathematical brain just works different than the school-taught method.

I also couldn't do mathematics the way they wanted me to in school. They would always get mad because I couldn't show my steps to solving the problem, but a lot of it went on in my head, and I couldn't figure out how to translate it to the format they wanted. My mathematical brain just works different than the school-taught method.

I was the exact same, I can do maths in my head almost literally with my eyes shut, but put a page of sums in front of me and unless it's extremely simple I still can't do it even now almost 30 years later.

Funny- that was me too.

I hated maths and thought I sucked at it, but for some problems I was better than average NTs.

I also get cramp from hold a pen.

My solution; just type. I don't write anything with a pen any more. Notes I put in Google Keep, planning in spreadsheets, Google slides, or Google Docs.

Pens are ancient tech, and they will become obsolete in our lifetimes. People who say otherwise are clinging on to an outdated anachronism, thereby proving myself correct whether you agree of disagree.

Adapt or become one with the past :D

Funny- that was me too.

I hated maths and thought I sucked at it, but for some problems I was better than average NTs.

My solution; just type. I don't write anything with a pen any more. Notes I put in Google Keep, planning in spreadsheets, Google slides, or Google Docs.

Pens are ancient tech, and they will become obsolete in our lifetimes. People who say otherwise are clinging on to an outdated anachronism, thereby proving myself correct whether you agree of disagree.

I have google quill.

Funny- that was me too.

I also have problems with getting cramps from writing. I cannot hold a pen or pencil in the standard way that my teachers wanted me to either. They would try and try and try to get me to hold my pen the way they wanted me to do it, but I just couldn't do it that way. (motor skill issues, I'm guessing). If I write for long periods of time, my hand cramps up very badly.

New Threads

Top Bottom