• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Do Something Your Own Way?

Antonio

Is there something that you do your own way instead of the way "its supposed to be done"? I'd like to hear about it.

Majority of the time. When I watch someone do something, I think of ways how things can be done better. Example when I use to upload a truck for temp work. I aim to grab product in a way to do the least amount of bending possible. I will also find ways I can just slide the item on the pallet aiming to do the least amount of lifting possible. I mean, these temp jobs pays little money. Why the hell should i work my ass off?

Majority of the time. When I watch someone do something, I think of ways how things can be done better. Example when I use to upload a truck for temp work. I aim to grab product in a way to do the least amount of bending possible. I will also find ways I can just slide the item on the pallet aiming to do the least amount of lifting possible. I mean, these temp jobs pays little money. Why the hell should i work my ass off?

Bill Gates said he would always employ a lazy man as they are best at improving the way things are done...

Still waiting for his call.

If I call him it means I'm not lazy enough.
Picking up the phone saying 'hey Bill, how about that job?' Is just falling into his trap.

Most of the times, yeah. I have an exam this afternoon in which I have to perform physical examinations in a very specific order. I hate this. I've been doing these examinations my own way (which is more efficient and just makes more sense) for years and now I have to do them in a way that doesn;t make sense to me. I usually fail these things because the order doesn't make sense and I get confused and mess up. When I get to do it my own way I get great results though.

Another example is my current job.

My boss wanted to setup a new system on a new computer. I told him we should virtualized the computer so we can run multiple systems on one machine. My boss wasn't really for this idea at first but I decide to go along with my way anyways. The result going my way saving him lots of money. Running 3 to 4 virtualized computers on one system saved him from buying 2 to 3 extra computers. My setup also saving him in power consumption. After having things setup and him learning the value, all future servers are setup this way.

I always just figure out how to do something then people come along and say "no you're doing it wrong do it this way" and it makes me mad because why didn't they tell me before I figured it out the hard way?

I always just figure out how to do something then people come along and say "no you're doing it wrong do it this way" and it makes me mad because why didn't they tell me before I figured it out the hard way?
I think people are afraid of change but without change there would never be innovation.

Yup. At work sometimes my managers will tell me to do something a certain way, but as soon as they leave I keep doing it however I want to. Often my way is more efficient than theirs, but they won't have any of it because 1) Authority can't stand the perceived threat of being contradicted, and 2) their way is standard procedure and "just the way it is." I resent that. I hate when people blindly accept "just the way it is," and parrot it to everyone else, not thinking about it or questioning WHY it is that way and whether it's actually the best way.

Is there something that you do your own way instead of the way "its supposed to be done"? I'd like to hear about it.
Why, yes I do - all the time! ( It's how things are done around here:) ) I am a jazz buff; it is always on at our house, that, or something else... *Got out of the shower yesterday, and Frank Sinatra's "I Did It My Way" was on... Wet, and naked, I howled along with old blue eyes - doing a bit of "can-can" on the chorus! Then, I realised the blinds were open. A very startled, and somewhat traumatised crow was staring in the window:eek: I shouted : "What? You've never seen greatness before???" Off he flew - probably to the nearest therapist's officeo_O:D *Life is just way too short to worry about what other folks, ( or crows ), think. I spent much of my life failing miserably at "normal"; now I take pride in excelling at "unique" ;)

I made the most delicious "omelet" a few weekends back. Served it up with a side of crunchy sourdough toast, and watched my husband make a right pig of himself:D What I didn't tell him, was that "omelet" started out as a souffle:rolleyes: IOW : It "fell" in the oven:( Never feel bad about an honest mistake; it's how we humans learn. Mistakes are all part of the "creative process", and besides, some mistakes aren't really "mistakes"... They are only creative "tangents", and "detours", that can take you down a road you didn't even know was there;) Yep, that "omelet" wasn't just delicious - it was downright "glorious":laughing::smirk:
aa525301c30b90e05a8981d6912992bc.jpg

People have been asking me if I'm left handed my whole life.
Also don't huck no chairs... wth!

We were tearing off a roof... just helping a friend and his crew. They (all pro roofers) were peeling up 3-4 shingles tossing them off into piles. One guy on the ground picking them up and filling the trailer.
This was my first roof. I asked if I could try a different way. Dan said sure. I took a shovel and went down the slope, on the edge of the roof. Cut a trench. Then along the bottom. Back to the top... skip over 5-6 feet. Another trench. Had the ground guy put the trailer under. Rolled the 5-6ft piece down the slope into the trailer. All paper, nails, shingles... everything came up very clean. Dan moved everyone to the other side and let me do my side, my way.

He still thinks I'm a goof. I'm okay with that.

I giggled a bit when I read your question, because almost everything I do is "my way."

I've learned over the years that everybody has their "own" way, so unless I'm in complete control of how something is supposed to be done -- or I am clearly more knowledgeable than the other person -- I allow them to use "their way."

Once I see that they are clearly lost, I might offer to show them a "different" way, but if someone tries to correct "my way" of doing something (unless it's clearly better and accomplishes the exact thing I'm trying to do), I'll continue to do it "my way" until I read enough (or research) the other way, until I feel comfortable changing.

In my circumstance, however, I often have a very specific "reason" for doing it "my way." Of course, the reason might not be important to anyone else but me -- but if someone were to ask me "why?" I do something, I'd be happy to explain it to them.

My biggest beef is with people who hear my question and then assume (or, at least offer) to "just do it" for me -- when in most cases, I just want to know if something *can* be done -- and how. I don't actually *want* to do it (and I certainly don't want someone keeping me from learning about it.

Good question!

I have always made it a point to do everything different than the rest of the world. Like technology for instance. While everyone else was bragging about their smartphone, I was hanging on to my flip phone. I purposely avoid new technology just because everyone else thinks it's so great.

Also I avoid the latest movies and other popular things like sports. I also keep my business schedule the old way, by writing it on a day planner instead of entering it into some gadget.

I work hard at being different just because I don't want to conform to the rest of the world.

People have been asking me if I'm left handed my whole life.
Also don't huck no chairs... wth!

We were tearing off a roof... just helping a friend and his crew. They (all pro roofers) were peeling up 3-4 shingles tossing them off into piles. One guy on the ground picking them up and filling the trailer.

Did that one viciously, hot summer, down in south LA, with my dad - hard work. *It was on our own place - had to strip it right down the boards, haul it all off, then the real fun began:eek: My dad decided to cheap out, and not rent the magnet - we picked nails for years to comeo_O

I look for better ways in everything I do.

If I'm doing a repetitious job I'll entertain myself by looking for process improvements no matter how minor.

I also learn different which forces a bit of doing difference. I can't learn to do something by following steps as I'll forget steps and get confused, but if I understand the whole process and see it visually I'll generally be able to do things better and faster than people who do things step by step.

"I look for better ways in everything I do."

*I hear you. Me, too - seems like time and life kind of make me. Lately, I seem to always be pushed for time.

I love efficiency and ease. I am astonished when others make no effort whatsoever to try to improve matters.

I once "did the impossible" with some database programming; by thinking outside the box, I was able to make the stuff work the way it should. Creativity is a joy.

For instance, I was standing in line at the donut shop, and I figured out what donuts I wanted and what order they are in. When the lady got the box out to choose my dozen, I told her the numbers of each, in order, and it added up to 12.

She was amazingly thrilled by this, and said this was the fastest she had ever filled an order.

I've seen people not even start this process until they get up to the counter. Fools! You are here to get donuts and you don't give it any thought?!?!?!?

I frequently got told, "Jame, your not breaking new grounds there"... I always tried different ways thinking I'll crack onto something new. But i was a labourer, not paid well enough to think and was working too hard. Relax.

Sometimes I put myself into an imaginary situation where I get to show off to my talents to invisible voyeurs. They are always seem impressed to be honest ;)

Usually yes.
Not so great with paragraph after paragraph of written instructions.

Diagrams are great. Even a picture/sketch of the assembled product and I can work it out.

Aerobics instructor at the front of the class, I copied her direction rather than listened to her instruction.
She was facing the class. She moved forward, I moved backwards, the rest of the class moved forwards as per her instruction
She demonstrated a move with her right arm I copied it with my left, like a mirror image.
Same in Zumba with the dance moves, short term memory not a problem, just copy the woman in front of me. Simple.

Learning to knit, similar thing copying you tube tutorials. I've ended up with the same stitch but I achieve it back to front.

New Threads

Top Bottom