• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you Decorate for Christmas?

No.

Is the above reply putting in a lot of effort into replying to this thread? What do you mean, "no"? Okay then, no and I never do, the last time I helped put up Christmas decorations and lights was when I was still living with my parents and only because I felt that it wouldn't be right not to help. Now as an adult I don't celebrate Christmas and I pretty much hate it, but even if I did love Christmas, decorations don't really do anything for me simply because they have absolutely no useful purpose, I'd much rather put the money towards upgrading my PC lol!

Some people put up better and better decorations each year to compete with their neighbours however and for some people it gets out of hand:

Okay, not everyone's Christmas lights get them in the news, but there's some pretty incredible setups even in my area and normally you see a few other good ones nearby by other people competing.

Now look at all the energy that's used just to power everyone's Christmas lights as well as fossil fuels, then look at all the money + resources spent on the lights themselves that could have been spent on other things that actually have a use. Imagine what could have been saved and given to people who really need it.

Last edited:
A24646A1-3F18-4F71-985F-7F1A55C6BEE9.jpeg

decorations don't really do anything for me simply because they have absolutely no useful purpose

I absolutely agree.

To be honest, seasonal decorations make me a bit angry, because it's so much wasted resources and trash. I have no problem with decorations in general, if they are kept for a long time and reused. But I would love for people to stop over-consuming, especially if it's useless trash like plastic trees, etc.

I must add though, that I once saw some absolutely magical Christmas decorations in Florida, where they just took some sort of disco-light and projected lots of starry lights into the palm trees, walking through the trees was like being in another world.

Decorate? Heck yeah!
Colored lights in two rooms and a white rope light strung across the room in my living area.

I have a Christmas train layout,decorated with some of my childhood toys,ones I collected along that path we call life and various uber cool stuff added as I went.
The layout includes a one foot tall decorated and light tree with a fiber optic tree that is blue.
The lighted ceramic Christmas Carol houses and buildings make the small town in the center,with the Cratchits home having a blinking bulb in it so it looks like Scrooge is up to his usual cheapskate antics.

A brass chandelier in the kitchen area is all festive with C-7 oldschool Christmas lights,some of which blink. My commercial grade LED scrolling sign has Merry Christmas/happy new year on it and I have a table decorated with loads of brass items and many brass candle holders with red and white taper candles.

The neighborhood brats all have a ditty bag of trinkets and snacks and their gift wrapped items that all add to the spirit in my home.

Outdoors,I have two laser light displays,one running red and green dots and the other a kaleidoscope of blue,purple and white that simulates a snowstorm.

When I get a chance,I will provide images for y'all

All I have is a small 3 foot tree, that's about a meter for you metricated types. Just two ornaments, made by my friend Margaret, so that was the focus of this photo...
IMG_20171214_012601_619.jpg

I do! Usually me, my mum and my sister put up a 6ft plastic tree and decorate it, but I got a kitten in November and it's not very safe to have a big one up she could climb, so we went for a small tree and some lights.
IMG_20171217_161507.jpg
IMG_20171217_161454.jpg

No.

Is the above reply putting in a lot of effort into replying to this thread? What do you mean, "no"? Okay then, no and I never do, the last time I helped put up Christmas decorations and lights was when I was still living with my parents and only because I felt that it wouldn't be right not to help. Now as an adult I don't celebrate Christmas and I pretty much hate it, but even if I did love Christmas, decorations don't really do anything for me simply because they have absolutely no useful purpose, I'd much rather put the money towards upgrading my PC lol!

Some people put up better and better decorations each year to compete with their neighbours however and for some people it gets out of hand:

Okay, not everyone's Christmas lights get them in the news, but there's some pretty incredible setups even in my area and normally you see a few other good ones nearby by other people competing.

Now look at all the energy that's used just to power everyone's Christmas lights as well as fossil fuels, then look at all the money + resources spent on the lights themselves that could have been spent on other things that actually have a use. Imagine what could have been saved and given to people who really need it.
I like it because my mother liked it ,what I can't understand is getting a tree every single year ,we have a plastic tree that is over 30 years old -it looks exactly the same as the day we got it !!!why would you need to get another tree when that one lasts over 30 years .

No. Just more things I'll have to take down and put away. When I was a kid, we had a HUGE Christmas tree and so many ornaments that took at least three days to get them packed away for next year. Putting up a tree really wasn't that fun in the first place because my mom had some kind of OCD and everything had to be a certain way. Presents had to be wrapped up a certain way too.

Me neither.

Just feels like extra work this year.
Bah humbug.

I'm really sad about not being able to decorate this year.

I didnt get to last year either.....hopefully next year.

I like it because my mother liked it ,what I can't understand is getting a tree every single year ,we have a plastic tree that is over 30 years old -it looks exactly the same as the day we got it !!!why would you need to get another tree when that one lasts over 30 years .

I have wanted since childhood to grow a dwarf conifer in a huge container and decorate it at the holidays for however-many years before planting it in the ground. I would probably like to grow more than one, actually, but staggered in terms of their age so that I could have a little tree to decorate every year even though I was planting them.

I like real trees better than the plastic ones (lots of reasons, including how they smell like trees instead of like plastic and how I can touch the real trees as much as I want without getting a rash) but I don't want a tree to die just so that I can put it on display in my house for a few weeks before throwing it away.

I have wanted since childhood to grow a dwarf conifer in a huge container and decorate it at the holidays for however-many years before planting it in the ground. I would probably like to grow more than one, actually, but staggered in terms of their age so that I could have a little tree to decorate every year even though I was planting them.

I like real trees better than the plastic ones (lots of reasons, including how they smell like trees instead of like plastic and how I can touch the real trees as much as I want without getting a rash) but I don't want a tree to die just so that I can put it on display in my house for a few weeks before throwing it away.
As long as your house isn't too hot you can get a dwarf conifer and plant in a pot or put it in the cold area.

This is what I have done for a while now. When the tree gets too big (more than 3 feet or so) then I plant it in the ground in the springtime.
When we moved from our last house, there were 2 pine trees growing in the fron yard which we planted. They had been tiny Christmas trees. One was 30 ft high, the other about 12 feet. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom