• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
Just a thought I had. I always want to believe things happen all the time and they have some sort of reason behind it. You might not know why something happened, but it has a hidden meaning behind it.

I tend to think of the physics behind everything that happens.
Everything happens for a reason, but not for a hidden reason.
I don't believe there is a purpose guiding things that happen.
It's all physics and emotionally- free will.

Example could be I walk out the door and see a pretty flower.
I could think, wow, if I hadn't walked outside I would not have found the flower.
Something must have guided me to do so.

Or if I had chosen not to go outside, I wouldn't have found the flower.
But that's just a matter of making a choice to go outside at the right time.

Flip side, I might walk out the door, slip on the step and fall flat on my face.
Karmic retribution?
Or did I just walk outside and slip and fall, end of story?

Just my way of thought.
And the flowers in your avatar are lovely!

Yes and no.

I think the 'hidden meanings' are in plain sight most of the time; if someone has to keep learning the same lesson in their life, there's a definite reason for it. If a random event happens, it's just part of the universe's random number generator.

Does that mean any of this is 'divine'? That's all subject to interpretation, but I think the fact that we're all here on this planet rather than not is pretty meaningful in itself. That may have happened for a reason, too.

Random coincidences? The world can feel so small when they happen. I truly believe my life is simply a giant random coincidence that just needs to be animated into a lively anime book then l can read and laugh over l guess.

I dont think humans are so important and divine creatures that everything happening in the universe has a special meaning/reason for us, or that was created on purpose to teach us something or to serve us. Thats very human-centric to me.

I do believe and see the world as systems. So the vulcano explodes because lava pressure, and lava pressure accumulate because of tectonic movements and internal lava flow mechanics. So there are "mechanisms" or reasons "behind" how things happens. I dont believe the vulcano exploded because the humans living there forgot to sacrifice their sacred cow to the fire god. Too much human centric.

There are physical systems like the vulcano, biological systems like the flower growth, socioeconomical systems like human economy, and certanly many other systems. Most of them still unknow and because of that, misterious and hidden.

If I dont know how a system work I tend to accept my lack of knowledge and not "invent/suppose" human centric/magical/religious reasons for that unknown system.

I think there can be reason and meaning given to everything that does happen. I don’t believe that there is anything larger than life dictating the course of the universe, but I think the human mind is extremely capable of finding meaning in things, gaining understanding from them, and using that to guide their actions.

Yes. Everything has a cause and effect. I have a difficult time with wrapping my brain around the concept of "randomness" and "chaos". What may seem like randomness and chaos is just our inability to process what is happening. There are physical, biochemical, electrical, magnetic, quantum, and many, many other forces that are at play, often overlapping forces that influence the end results in each situation. Even if you take a basic physics course, you have to have some basic understanding of what other forces were at play that can account for your error(s) in your calculations. If you've ever learned about how military snipers make those 1000-1500 yard/900-1300 meter shots with a sniper rifle, it's amazing everything you have to consider from the specific design of the rifle, to the bullet, to temperature, wind currents, if the target is moving in any particular direction, etc. There's a lot of variables and forces at play, and to have some working understanding of it and then to actually hit the target, is mind-blowing. Every action has some reason for it happening.

Now, if we are talking about behaviors of humans or animals, again, it seems like chaos and randomness, only because we generally have a poor understanding of what is going on inside of our brain, let alone another's. However, if we had some ability to fully understand the brain and monitor all the activity in ourselves and others, we could have some high predictability of behaviors and interactions. We simply don't have that ability right now.

Random stuff happens to people. It is supreme selfishness to think that the cosmos designs things that happens to oneself. I think things also happen because of choices we make and how prepared we are to take advantage of circumstance.

Last edited:
That sounds neat and tidy but consider this as an example: I had a family. Lost my daughter, she's gone and the relationship ended and now I'm alone. Everything happens for a reason... I would like to know the reason or hidden meaning behind that. I just see random chaos.
I've had two of my brothers die, one at 7 weeks of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, the other at 36 years old of colon cancer (leaving behind a beautiful wife and two little boys), I don't have contact with my mother, my father passed away a few years ago, and my two sisters, their kids, etc. I don't have contact with. It's just my wife, and I rarely have contact with my own children.

So, back to my my statements above:
"Now, if we are talking about behaviors of humans or animals, again, it seems like chaos and randomness, only because we generally have a poor understanding of what is going on inside of our brain, let alone another's. However, if we had some ability to fully understand the brain and monitor all the activity in ourselves and others, we could have some high predictability of behaviors and interactions. We simply don't have that ability right now."

We have a forum full of people, you, me, everyone here, that have a difficult time understanding ourselves and the people around us. It's not chaos and randomness, things happen for a reason. You can put blame on the autism, or your past childhood traumas, your health, your stress, something you said, so on and so forth, and then add all of the other person's "baggage", but likely, it was many "forces" at play that contributed to that seemingly "unique" situation or result. If you were to turn back the clock and relive those moments, knowing what you know now, the future may be different, but you still couldn't predict what that future may be or the correct pathway to achieve the future you wanted. However, it is not chaos and randomness.

If you have some understanding of parallel universes, and how a different action, sometime in the past, can dramatically change the outcome of the future, it really makes you think. Today is Groundhog Day in the US, a silly day in and of itself, but there is an old comedy movie called "Groundhog Day" in which the main character wakes up to the same day, every day, and he finally learns through trial and error how to take a crappy day and turn it into a great day by changing little things he does. Another movie, "The Butterfly Effect", takes on these same concepts of how one seemingly minor, benign action can have profound effects in the future.

"Your beliefs create your reality."

Written in the Seth material throughout the 70's and 80's.

Reinforced by Dr Joe Dispenza in his books regarding how the mind, our thoughts and beliefs affect the quantum field.

"The Law of Attraction explains that if we change our electromagnetic field (by changing our thoughts and emotions), then that will attract a new reality from the Quantum Field. The thought must match the feeling, and then we have to hold that state of being long enough for the manifestation to occur."

Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr Joe Dispenza

There's also a lot of books in the Seth material by Jane Roberts.

A quote from Seth:

"En masse, your beliefs bring about the world conditions that you know. Individually, they form your intimate daily life."

So yes, everything happens for a reason - and you are that reason.

Ed

Just a thought I had. I always want to believe things happen all the time and they have some sort of reason behind it. You might not know why something happened, but it has a hidden meaning behind it.
I do believe stuff happens for a reason, that’s how I got trough high school

I try to take the agnostic approach to all things in life.. so do all things happen for a reason, sure. But for what reason whether by "divine" intervention or by scientific principle as defined by man? Just don't know for sure thereby cannot form a definitive belief.

I think the fact that humans tend to only think within the context of their own short existence and their small surroundings, the fact that we're so insignificant in the vastness of time and universe plus the limited capabilities of our human biology and brains, who still can't seem to exist without being triggered by something and still ruled by fear, ego, and own survival, plus countless other reasons... is all telling that we are still pretty far from finding an answer ourselves.

Profoundly- that we are all here for specific reasons. That we "craft" our mortal existence on this temporary, "secondary plane" to experience things that cannot be properly achieved through our primary plane of existence as eternal souls.

The purpose being spiritual enlightenment on a very broad scale. Regardless of the rigors it can involve. For example, that we are autistic because our own souls wanted it as such. That all the pain and toil of this existence are inevitably left behind when we return to our primary plane of existence. Leaving only "lessons" to ponder.

Things I gave little concern over as an agnostic for many years, until I had two paranormal encounters over a 20-year period in broad daylight that I kept to myself for twenty years. Experiences that science and logic seem unable to adequately explain relative to time, space, life and death.

For a select few of us, we have seen dead people come back to life, and enter and exit this plane of existence quite contrary to any simple scientific or physiological explanations. Forcing me as an eyewitness to adopt a very different perspective of our existence given the apparent fluidity of time, space, life and death.

Last edited:
I actually can say 100 percent everything has a reason, purpose, and plan. Good and bad. I've studied and read enough real world and theoretical sciences along with historical perspective and real world application by human testimony.

I do believe as a Christian as well in purpose for each man and woman who ever is, was, or will be.

Reality is just chaos. Our perception is just a filter over the chaos that attempts to make sense out of it. This is an almost impossible illusion to dispel, but I think autistic individuals experience less of this illusion in some ways than NDs. I can look at the same object a dozen times a day for a dozen years and I'll never fully feel like I've taken it all in. I'll never take it for granted. I'll be evaluating and observing it every single time, at the same level. At no point will I ever feel like I've finally gotten a grip on any part of reality. The most I can hope for is to just stop thinking about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom