• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do play Arcade Games?

When Reimiel was little, bringing him to public places was always a challenge. He loves to be in the gaming arcade because of the colors and the sounds. But then, he is not behaving well inside.

For one, he keeps on interrupting other players if he wants to play the same game they are currently playing. He also does not understand the mechanics of any game and just pushes buttons happily. He also throws tantrums when he cannot wait for his turn to play.

We are happy that he was able to overcome all these and now, he can mingle in the crowd and truly enjoy the games that he wants to play. People with autism can have fun in public.

Agree.
That's a big Arcade there in the video though. Looks like fun.
Maybe it's because of where I live there aren't any left.

Agree.
That's a big Arcade there in the video though. Looks like fun.
Maybe it's because of where I live there aren't any left.

That may be the case. Here where I live, people are still enjoying arcades and are updated with the latest craze. Probably because they are also eyeing the high-ticket prizes like Nintendo Switch, QLED TV, and others.

In Oregon we have a popular chain of nickel arcades called "Wunderland". I've loved going there since I was a teenager. They charge admission, but then the games are very cheap.

I do love arcade games, but generally when I say that I’m thinking of ones from the 80s. Past a certain point the whole thing went all stupid though… I’ve been to modern arcades, but as a rule would wander around and then leave without playing any games. As a rule, if it threatens to throw tickets at me, I probably dont want to touch it, and games that DONT do that are usually the “hey put like 800 dollars in this, now you have a strict time limit of exactly 10 seconds to play but you can earn more seconds if you do impossible things” sort of “game”. Racing games in particular like to do that one.

As it is, if I’m going to do arcade stuff, it’s probably in VR (and this is what I originally bought the VR unit for to begin with). There IS a proper retro arcade sorta nearby kinda, within driving range, but I dont know if it survived the pandemic (I really doubt it). So… VR it is, then, or via other forms of emulation when I dont feel like doing that.

I do love arcade games, but generally when I say that I’m thinking of ones from the 80s. Past a certain point the whole thing went all stupid though… I’ve been to modern arcades, but as a rule would wander around and then leave without playing any games.

O-YA! the 80s was defiantly the golden age of arcade. Who could ever forget going to Chuck E Cheese's and pumping quarters into those big boxes that had better graphics the your home system did. Arcades of the 80s, including Chuck E Cheese's were much darker inside and therefor, not so much of a sensory overload as today's brightly lit ones are.

As a rule, if it threatens to throw tickets at me, I probably dont want to touch it, and games that DONT do that are usually the “hey put like 800 dollars in this, now you have a strict time limit of exactly 10 seconds to play but you can earn more seconds if you do impossible things” sort of “game”. Racing games in particular like to do that one.

Ya! it's kinda bad that they are teaching young kids to gamble. Even though they call them "redemption games". As far as I am concerned. It's just the "Candy cigarette" version of gambling. Ya know, get the young ones hooked.

As far as cost goes. Ya, when they started charging more then a quarter to play the games. That was the final straw for me. When they where just a quarter. all it was, was a single coin you had to put in the machine. Now that they started charging 50 cents to a dollar just to play a game. It really started feeling wrong that I had to put more then one coin into the machine just to get it started.

As it is, if I’m going to do arcade stuff, it’s probably in VR (and this is what I originally bought the VR unit for to begin with). There IS a proper retro arcade sorta nearby kinda, within driving range, but I dont know if it survived the pandemic (I really doubt it). So… VR it is, then, or via other forms of emulation when I dont feel like doing that.

Using MAME and other emulators for that retro gaming experience is defiantly the way to go.

Arcades did go away... But where I live two different pubs/craft breweries have opened up with the theme of either video games and/or pinball, and are very popular!

I do love arcade games, but generally when I say that I’m thinking of ones from the 80s. Past a certain point the whole thing went all stupid though… I’ve been to modern arcades, but as a rule would wander around and then leave without playing any games. As a rule, if it threatens to throw tickets at me, I probably dont want to touch it, and games that DONT do that are usually the “hey put like 800 dollars in this, now you have a strict time limit of exactly 10 seconds to play but you can earn more seconds if you do impossible things” sort of “game”. Racing games in particular like to do that one.

Games that spit out tickets are fun for Reimiel. He gets excited when they come out long and wants to collect them for a prize he wants. The only non-ticket game he wants to play are racing games like you said.

As far as cost goes. Ya, when they started charging more then a quarter to play the games. That was the final straw for me. When they where just a quarter. all it was, was a single coin you had to put in the machine. Now that they started charging 50 cents to a dollar just to play a game. It really started feeling wrong that I had to put more then one coin into the machine just to get it started.

That is true. Putting more than 1 coin than usual is like too expensive for me to play a game

Games that spit out tickets are fun for Reimiel. He gets excited when they come out long and wants to collect them for a prize he wants. The only non-ticket game he wants to play are racing games like you said.

Aye, they’re fun in theory even to me. There’s actually a game over on Steam, just called The Coin Game, that’s all about recreating those types of games (the ticket sorts) and simulating them as accurately as possible… it’s a good game, I have it myself. Difference though is that those simulated games dont want real money, and they aren’t rigged…. So there’s only the fun elements remaining.

I dont know how these sorts of games are where you’re at, but every arcade I’ve ever seen in the US, they’re generally rigged, and everyone knows it. Particularly ones like those coin pushers. Which is the real reason I wont touch those sorts IRL. The take what could be a fun concept, rig it all, AND then charge exorbitant prices for them.

Needless to say, arcades around here dont tend to do very well. I always wonder if any of them ever manage to figure out why. Considering the type of people that come up with the idea to rig such things… I doubt it.

A brand new video arcade just opened up about a mile down the road from my house. You only pay $10 at the door and then you can play as many video games, all day long, as you want, for free!

I think I might bring my daughter there for her eighteenth birthday. It's next to a Vietnamese baguette sandwich shop, so, even better!

A brand new video arcade just opened up about a mile down the road from my house. You only pay $10 at the door and then you can play as many video games, all day long, as you want, for free!

I think I might bring my daughter there for her eighteenth birthday. It's next to a Vietnamese baguette sandwich shop, so, even better!

Advance Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter. I bet that will be a lot of fun! $10 for unlimited play is a very good deal. I wish we had that kind of promotion here but amusement arcades here are pretty competitive.

New Threads

Top Bottom