• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do K-12 schools really have an understanding towards students on the spectrum.

Dillon

This has crossed my mind lately just thinking of how a school system should be accommodating students who are on the spectrum in a modern society. I don’t know how schools were to you or how the the environment and structure was like but for me I didn’t like it that much as I had some experiences I’m glad I don’t have to live through again as far as grade school goes.

Based on past experiences, I remember back in elementary school I had to take speech therapy due to me not sounding out certain words right and all that other good stuff. During that time the admin at my elementary school took of the coating of aspergers entirely and claiming that aspergers does not fit under the autism spectrum. They claimed that my aspergers has just magically gone away on its own and I would no longer be needing any services provided such as the speech therapy. Well a few weeks later after that I started stuttering to the point I couldn’t get the first syllable out of my mouth and that’s when they claimed “oh you do have aspergers and it never went away”.

in middle school I was put in what was called Antecedent-Behavior-Consequence (ABC) class where I was put in there for extra help that did me no good anyway since I was stuck with other kids who mostly had the capability of a 4 year old (not to be rude but was true) mainly for behavioral problems. The school claimed that I was not adaptable with the other kids and that aspergers was labeled as “mentally challenged” with “behavioral problems”. It made no sense when during most of middle school I had been in all honors advanced classes like in science and math being social and physically capable like everyone else yet and never been disciplined or caused trouble at school yet I’m classified as intellectually disabled and “slow in catching up”.

Highschool was not any better either as there were many times I needed academic accommodations on exams and such but was never given that opportunity cause once I got to highschool they took the aspergers coating off again and basically said I was no longer eligible for services. I did have several teachers who understood what I was going through during that time and was able to help me out anyway they can which really helped me out in a way.

I guess I’m saying all of this cause I notice the public school system even today seem to lack the understanding of what being on the spectrum is and different levels of being on the spectrum. It’s like the thinking of the school saying that “oh you’re on the spectrum therefore you’re never going to live up to the capacity as other students who are not on the spectrum” which that is bias in my opinion. The other point of them saying “ you don’t seem to have aspergers and look like you don’t need extra academic help therefore you no longer need services” in which I’ve need some help before in the past but have been refused; both things feel kind of counterintuitive. I do not like of labels and being categorized based on a “condition” and claiming that all people on the spectrum have extreme mental challenges. I am wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this in their lives or what your opinion is over the matter?

Most schools are loathe to do anything special for students with special needs. They don't get money in proportion to the additional costs so they declare you nonspecial. We live in a relatively well-off school district and getting IEPs for our kids was a major effort. The school sure as heck wasn't going to mention it to us. They don't want to recognize the milder examples of autism because if they do they are required to do something about it. It costs money.

OTOH, if the schools got one penny more in aid than they spent for it, you'd have a surfeit of autistic students.

There are many conservative areas where they simply don't accept Asperger's, ASD-1, or high functioning autism as a diagnosis. It is all a lie. Or at least nonsense. Doesn't matter what the DSM-V says if the evaluator on the spot doesn't accept it. You are just not behaving appropriately. A discipline problem, not a psych issue.

Up until a few short decades ago, that described the entire country.

I grew up as DSM4 came out, i.e. growing up in the 90s as part of the last cohort to make it through elementary school before AS / ASD1 became relatively known and diagnosed.

That being said, looking back, I was spotted as different. I spent 3 years in ESL despite English being my first and primary language. Clearly the way I spoke was markedly different enough.

I also spent one year where I was oddly, participating both in a weekly alternate program for gifted students, but also in another program where the other participants either had learning disabilities and/or ID. Weird.

That reminds me of:

deliveryService

I haven't been to school since 22 years ago, but at that point in time, I'm going to say absolutely not. I hope things are getting better.

It’s been like 5-6 years since I’ve been to a k-12 school. Colleges and Universities seem to have a heck of a lot better awareness and understanding of people on the spectrum and are more flexible to work with you than in grade school. Even though I had been taking classes for my bachelors degree, I was able to get accommodations mainly extra time on exams where I would go into the counselors office (which is the main place within the University to get special academic help) and take my exams there. Subjects like calculus take me a little bit to solve into a calculator or to think about the question so I am a little bit slower than other people in regards to that. This was during my freshman and sophomore years in college but after that I felt like I didn’t need any of my accommodations anymore given that I had been getting by pretty well with several of my professors in a way and the classes I took were not the rigorous or overwhelming as classes like in highschool where they like to cram everything in your head at once while also telling you at the same time and been told this before before graduating highschool but I was told that “your professors will make you life miserable”, “professors will not be so caring towards you” and “college will be more restrictive in the things you can do than in highschool”...none of those aspects were true.

I am currently doing a masters degree and I feel like even with being on the spectrum I didn’t have the need to tell anyone within the masters program since being in a graduate program is pretty accommodating anyway as opposed to being an undergraduate student without all the rigorous exams and long essays to do.

I'm not diagnosed ASD, but my teachers show no understanding when I have panic attacks because of their subjects.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

The point of school is not learning. The point is conforming. And who conforms less than those on the spectrum? Not many.

Schools DEFINITELY dont have an understanding... they wont allow themselves to have one.

A useless waste of time for everyone involved, really. Particularly the student.

I spent 3 years in ESL despite English being my first and primary language. Clearly the way I spoke was markedly different enough.

By any chance, are you not white?

I did learn English as a second language, but it has since become my primary language. People still seem to assume that my speaking struggles have more to do with my ESL background, though. Not sure if it's better to let them think that or inform them I have a host of other issues they just can't begin to understand.

Last edited:
By any chance, are you not white?

I did learn English as a second language, but it has since become my primary language. People still seem to assume that my speaking struggles have more to do with my ESL background, though. Not sure if it's better to let them think that or inform them I have a host of other issues they just can't begin to understand.
When I was subbing, the schools would throw everyone they could into ESL classes because there was a big state subsidy to be had. Including kids whose only language was English but had difficulty with speech skills.

New Threads

Top Bottom