• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do certain speech patterns (and words) annoy you?

Noelle

Hi, everyone.

I've not visited this forum for awhile, and am not sure this is the right place to be posting this question, but hopefully it will receive at least a few replies.

I've been aware for awhile that I get very irritated by certain voices, pronunciation/inflection patterns and words... particularly American accents (I live in the US, though hopefully only temporarily). I love hearing foreigners speak other languages here; it is literally like music to my ears. Even if I don't really like the sound of the whatever language they're speaking, I would still rather hear it than hear most people around me speak English (including yours truly- I can't stand to hear myself speak either).

The word "like" is a huge trigger for me. People use it 18 times in a single sentence and I just want to cut out their tongue. I also despise the way people's voices rise in intonation when it's not needed, and I want to scream when every other sentence starts with... "So..."

Another expression that is starting to get on my last nerve is "I feel like..." before every single point or explanation. These may be exclusive to American English speakers in the States who are GenX, Millennial or GenZ, but who knows? I just know I hate all of this. I walk around with earphones in my ears most of the time. I teach international students exclusively now and don't ever want to work with American students again.

When I watch TV shows like Friends or Glee, I often wonder why people here can't just speak more like those characters. They're funny, cool and not annoying. Most of the time, anyway...

When I was in my teens, I swear these things would not have bothered me. I'm trying to figure out if it's age or Asperger's that makes me react this way. Or maybe that's a false dichotomy? Maybe it's a mixture of both, combined with a variety of other factors. Who knows?

I would love to hear what other users think... especially those living in other countries where English is the primary language.

I feel like I agree with the general idea but can't think of anything specific right now... I love Glee, though!

But even though I know there are things like that which bother me, it sounds like it doesn't bother me to the extent that it does you. For me, it's more like, "Ugh, I hate that," then immediately forget and move on, having felt a small spike in some not-all-that-bad emotion.

And I had the opposite progression, so far, but that was probably just teenager-ism. From, let's say, 13-23, things like that drove me nuts. Then I didn't want to be constantly going nuts and it slowly stopped in that degree.

Something like that.

I saw this earlier and had an equally inadequate response and so didn't say anything, but since there aren't any replies, inadequate is better than non-adequate, right?

Whaa? :eek:

I don't understand @tducey what you mean by saying U in place of You.
They sound alike don't they? I've never heard someone say "Hey, Y-O-U."
Or do you mean in type/text?

The only thing that annoys me is the use of so many curse words.
Calling people duragatory word names and every other word is the F bomb when speaking.

The word "like" is a huge trigger for me.
I'm guilty of using that one when talking. Try to not put it in text so much.
So, it's like, you know? :eek:

Lots of things bug me. One is the over-use or wrong use of words or phrases like "kind of" or "like" or "really". For example, "It's kind of sad." It makes no sense - either it is sad, or it isn't, how can it be "kind of sad"? I think people use it because they don't want to be so abrupt or direct, or out of habit perhaps, but it drives me mad.

Another thing: People using acronyms and expecting that everyone is going to automatically know what they are talking about. This applies to both spoken and written communication, especially on forums like this, where people come from different countries and cultures. Some posts I've read have been so full or acronyms that I haven't a clue what they are talking about, in which case, unless the subject matter really interests me, I'm probably not going to bother reading.

People talking in a silly or theatrical voice, when I haven't a clue why they are doing it, what or who they are supposed to be imitating, or why it's supposed to be funny.

I have an uncle who starts every question with "so" - that's annoying.

The sentence starter “to be fair” before continuing their point in a conversation.

Filling the pauses in conversation sentences with a very long “errrrrrrm “
(Why not just take a silent breath instead?)

“Yar” for yes

“Hun” as a term of endearment (?)
(Lazy way of saying ‘honey’ or ‘honeybun’)
I bristle when called “hun”

Me and my family being referred to as “you guys”

The word ' like' for example.

They say it but add an extra 'k'

Like -k

They also do it with lots of other words ..

Just say the word.

There are lots of pronunciation trends I've seen.
There a social climbing aspect to it,sometimes. (And snobbery)
Or people can estabilish a difference from others by emphasising words.

If you read my own post "you guys" is annoying especially if there are all girls or mixed genders.

Then there is "bestie" and "best friend" which is stupid because nothing is "the best" there is always something better and there is no such thing as "forever" everything ends.

I have a best friend, and I will be friends with him forever! :)

Sounds like maybe you just don't like hyperbole!

Good for you I wish you luck. Really not saying anything bad about you Fino but I learned that "best" and "forever" is a dream to me.

"hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally."
Maybe it'd helpful for you to write down various bits of information, or typed into your phone or computer, such as this one being a little explanation for hyperbole and some contexts in which people tend to use it.

That's what I do! I forgot things very easily, so it's helpful to be able to review important social-type things that my brain keeps trying to delete. :)

So do I, and now that we know that, we can accommodate for it by learning when certain things aren't meant to be literal, such as "forever" and then not be bothered by it because now we know.

I find my brain crunches whenever I hear some one ask "Can you borrow me" instead of using the word lend.. & "Lush" being used as a value of beauty in comments to a picture on FB as in "You look lush"

The "valley girl" way of speaking fuels my anger, especially the "ummm"s. I've also come across people over the phone and online who add an extra sound to the beginning or the end of some words...they all happen to have higher pitched voices (No offence if your voice is higher in pitch, not your fault).

Shortened/cutesy words like littles, hubs, brekkie, preggers, etc. All that, and bad spelling/grammar drive me up the wall.

The "valley girl" way of speaking fuels my anger, especially the "ummm"s. I've also come across people over the phone and online who add an extra sound to the beginning or the end of some words...they all happen to have higher pitched voices (No offence if your voice is higher in pitch, not your fault).

Shortened/cutesy words like littles, hubs, brekkie, preggers, etc. All that, and bad spelling/grammar drive me up the wall.

The first thing is so funny when people pretend, though! Especially guys! :D

I work in engineering and it bothers me when coworkers say "orientate", or "orientated". It's not supposed to be a word but enough people say it that it's now in the dictionary. The proper word is orient, or oriented. Orientation is orient with the -ation suffix.

New Threads

Top Bottom