• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discord Question- Is this a scam or legit?

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I got a DM from a Server Booster Bot on Discord.

It says:
"$10 Nitro Gift
You've been gifted a 1 Month Nitro Games by Discord for Events
(link)
Click on the Link for Accept & Add The Bot!
We will boost your server to level 3!
Just click link for boost.
Discord Offical Event"

Considering I don't own a server I'm thinking this is a scam? Or is there really a Discord event going on? Is there any way to tell if these kinds of things are legitimate?

Generally if someone sends you a message that goes something like "Hello! OOH HAPPY THING IS HAPPENING!!! EXCITEMENT!!!" followed by a link, it's a scam.

This applies for Discord, Steam, and any other messanging service you might use.

The scam format is pretty much universal.

Dont accept links unless it's from someone you actually know. Period.

And when this does happen, report it to those in charge. I dont know exactly where that is with Discord. I'm used to Steam, where it's in the profile page for the user being reported on.

I normally avoid opening any link that comes out of the blue. I will from someone I know of course and also if it is from something I generated/asked for. I use same principle with sales in general. I turn away any contact initiated by sellers. If I want something I will go to them.

I got a DM from a Server Booster Bot on Discord.

It says:
"$10 Nitro Gift
You've been gifted a 1 Month Nitro Games by Discord for Events
(link)
Click on the Link for Accept & Add The Bot!
We will boost your server to level 3!
Just click link for boost.
Discord Offical Event"

Considering I don't own a server I'm thinking this is a scam? Or is there really a Discord event going on? Is there any way to tell if these kinds of things are legitimate?

It's most definitely a scam that goes around fairly frequently in large servers, generally Emoji servers and similar where people won't expect such things. Discord never hosts such events nor do they DM people either. Anything official that needs to be said gets emailed to you by them. For future reference their email address is generally [email protected]

However, if you use Gmail, you can check the authenticity of any emails you get from them by following what's written under the "How to Check if an Email is Authentic" section in this article: How to Tell if an Email is Fake, Spoofed or Spam

Mobile app is very similar, but to see the "mailed by", "signed by" and "Security", you need to tap the little arrow beside "to me" in the header of the email.

Screenshot_20200816-025653_Gmail.png

then tap "See security details" in blue in the little box that shows

Discord will always have "mailgun.discordapp.com" for both "Mailed by" and "Signed by"

Thank you everyone! I don't know what server it came from as I am in multiple servers. I appreciate all your help.

New Threads

Top Bottom