• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disclosing my autism to my church?

I'd suggest you look for autistic social groups that are to be kept completely separate from your religious life if you have time and possibly also seek out a therapist where such issues can be more private and feedback will be positive for your growth. Since your wife is married to you and is definitely on-board with you as a person, she can join you to these other places and spaces, but probably no one else in this religious circle unless you super know them well that they would not judge so improperly and potentially mess your life up over "nothing".
I like your suggestion---I'm trying to find a therapist but it's really difficult.

It sounds as though you are doing okay, as of now.
If you tell them, what do you wish will happen? How likely is that?
What is the worst that can happen? What is the risk for that to occur?
I guess I'm doing okay. Some days...a lot of things are a struggle.

That's the tricky thing. I have all these fantasies in my head of what I wish will or could happen. Maybe I'm looking for folks to understand me in ways that my parents never did? Sorry, it's been a rough few weeks. I've got a bunch going on in my head.

I like your suggestion---I'm trying to find a therapist but it's really difficult.
Are you in the US? Are you okay with a video chat with me privately for us to tell each other who we are, etc.? Do you have insurance or have lots of funds?
Are you okay with remote therapy- therapy online? I could recommend you the organization and the therapist I have personally if the prior applies.

Are you in the US? Are you okay with a video chat with me privately for us to tell each other who we are, etc.? Do you have insurance or have lots of funds?
Are you okay with remote therapy- therapy online? I could recommend you the organization and the therapist I have personally if the prior applies.
I am in the US. Frankly, I'm not comfortable with that as I don't know you very well, but I appreciate the offer.

I feel as though online therapy wouldn't fit the bill for what I need.

I am in the US. Frankly, I'm not comfortable with that as I don't know you very well, but I appreciate the offer.

I feel as though online therapy wouldn't fit the bill for what I need.
I understand. In the same token, I'm not comfortable giving out references to others without knowing a person substantially enough either. Not knowing someone well doesn't bug me as much as long as I can see and hear who they are, but most people are like you.
my life is short, and people still shy away even if I do build enough with them. so, it is what it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom