• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulty Learning/Adjusting to Driving

I can imagine a good car helps. The family one I'm working with turns horribly wide with very few reference points to work with, so a lot of it is by feel which I have yet to master. I'm almost done the required 60 hours of practice time in order to take the test, but I don't feel that it's nearly enough especially for highway and parking.

If you pass the test and can afford one, I highly recommend finding a good used Honda Fit (I think called Honda Jazz in Europe). They have incredible visibility, and despite looking like a typical tiny car, they are well engineered and drive a little bit like oversized go carts. My ex-girlfriend had one, and it is the easiest car I have driven to judge distances (since you can see everything), have tight turning radices and have just a touch of sports car stability.

Also the maintenance costs of performance vehicles can be through the roof. I much prefer project cars which were quite nimble to begin with - but can be turned into something with crazy power.

I've always been a fan of sleeper cars, that catch the unsuspecting off guard.

Ed

I miss my built Honda Prelude Turbo so much. Previous owner spent a boatload of money having it upgraded by the leading performance shop in the area. Everything was professionally done and it looked like a sleeper. Had anti-sway bars and replacement suspension, but wasn’t lowered or only lowered just slightly. Carbon fiber hood and battery in the trunk to make room for all the engine enhancements. Just looked like a normal prelude, but was a lot faster and more stable. Even had upgraded clutch, waste gate, intercooler/radiator, upgraded brakes and things I don’t understand

Damn thing was that it had so much more power than stock that they made a mistake and kept stock mounting bolts to engine and engine first broke off mounting bolts then there was a problem with clutch separation due to same problem. It got too expensive and I had to sell it. Triple turbo gauges and so on installed inside. Was really professionally done. They just missed properly securing the engine to the frame to make up for extra horsepower/torque

But it’s really something when you can drive on a highway exit ramp at twice the suggested speed limit and car is so stable and predictable that you can keep the front wheel centered on the white inside line very easily. Where with even a new, oversized SUV this kind of control is difficult at much lower speeds

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom