• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Different Kinds of Food Issues

I also had the milk thing as a kid (and still do today. Although I love dairy products in general I would sooner die of thirst than drink a glass of milk.) Totally made me gag and I refused to drink it. I could be fooled by chocolate milk, though. My husband (also on the spectrum) has and still has egg-o-phobia and has to leave the room if I eat eggs. Still amazes me how things that seemed so odd are so common around here!

I'm not fussy, but I am strict.

I love spicy, exotic food, but I hate food that's not cooked perfectly.
If I cook rice or pasta, eggs, toast I will make sure it's perfect, and I'll often avoid those things at other people's houses as they are usually all wrong.

I need to have fixed breakfasts though. I have 3 that I rotate now, but it was poached eggs on toast for years with little variation.

I am not picky at all or allergic to any food.
I am not crazy about being around other people who are picky.
I do notice quality, but will eat many things even if the quality isn't great- especially if I don't have to pay for it.

Generally, I hate seafood. Even the freshest sea food tastes like it went bad. I remember the stench of my dad's scallops--ugh! To make matters worse, it took my wife several years to finally accept that I don't secretly like seafood and just don't know it!

I also can't stand mayonnaise. I detest cream-based soups. I have nothing against butternut squash itself, but anything served pureed reminds me of vomit. It's fine when roasted--especially with some southwest spices.

I remember being pickier as a child, but I also remember being able to eat some fish before the age of 12 or so. I also used to have issues indirectly related to food, such as being unable to tolerate wooden popsicle sticks.

Over the years, I have come to like a wider variety of food. This weekend, I had a pizza made with Gorgonzola cheese, for example.

My kids are extremely picky and they hardly eat at all. My daughter lives on ramen, perogies, cucumbers, carrots, eggs, and maybe a few other things. She is a vegetarian who does not eat very many vegetables. Recently, she found out that most cheese is made with rennet. I avoided telling her this because she eats so few foods already. She probably won't eat pizza now because she can't be sure that the restaurant uses rennet-free mozzarella. This means more fries for dinner!

Generally, I hate seafood. Even the freshest sea food tastes like it went bad. I remember the stench of my dad's scallops--ugh! To make matters worse, it took my wife several years to finally accept that I don't secretly like seafood and just don't know it!

I also can't stand mayonnaise. I detest cream-based soups. I have nothing against butternut squash itself, but anything served pureed reminds me of vomit. It's fine when roasted--especially with some southwest spices.

I remember being pickier as a child, but I also remember being able to eat some fish before the age of 12 or so. I also used to have issues indirectly related to food, such as being unable to tolerate wooden popsicle sticks.

Over the years, I have come to like a wider variety of food. This weekend, I had a pizza made with Gorgonzola cheese, for example.

My kids are extremely picky and they hardly eat at all. My daughter lives on ramen, perogies, cucumbers, carrots, eggs, and maybe a few other things. She is a vegetarian who does not eat very many vegetables. Recently, she found out that most cheese is made with rennet. I avoided telling her this because she eats so few foods already. She probably won't eat pizza now because she can't be sure that the restaurant uses rennet-free mozzarella. This means more fries for dinner!
A certain amount of vegans like vegan cheese (coconut based), she would get protein from nuts and beans and fat from sunflower ,almond,olive oil,also get soy mince.

I don't let my food touch each other - including ketchup - has to be in a separate dish, so I can dip just before eating it. Textures bother me - even if I'm eating my favorite food, if I start thinking about the texture I just start gagging, have to spit it out and can't finish it. I usually am reading or something while I'm eating, to keep my mind off the texture. And I eat the same foods over and over - all pretty bland. I don't even add salt when cooking something. When I see something that looks appealing, then they start adding more and more of this and that, ugh. My daughter in law has a tendency to add things - she'll try a new recipe and it'll actually be really good so she'll make it again and, yes, I'm in. Only to find out she has changed it up and now I'm forced to eat it without gagging and making faces or just throwing it out because it'll hurt her feelings. She'd added lime and celantra - :eek:

Sometimes, when I'm eating, I end up subconsciously hyperfocusing on the texture of the food; especially if said food is more on the bland side in terms of flavor. Then, my gag reflex goes ahead and says, "Time to go to work!" resulting in me having to swallow the bite of food quickly just in case I might puke. I think I only ended up puking from this once before.

Whenever I get a big, yummy, juicy steak (slather that thing in some A1 sauce), it's a must that I cut off the fat. It's actually a good idea to cook steaks with the fat still on as it makes it more flavorful, but once it comes off the grill, the fat has to go, including any knobby bits and gristle. Yuck. Sometimes I prefer pork because I find the fat pieces easier to locate and remove.

I actually get super excited when I get to try new and weird stuff, such as calamari (squidken nuggets, anyone?), which I love very much. Ironically, the texture doesn't bother me at all, even if it's like biting into brittle rubber for some people. I also like starfruits, which taste similar to apples but with a lighter taste, and passion fruits, which look like alien egg sacs when you open them up. They're still very yummy, though! Haven't had either in a long time, unfortunately.

But yeah, I prefer more flavorful foods as they keep me from going into that weird hypervigilance mode. And, they're more yummy!

New Threads

Top Bottom