• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did you already get the vaccine? What did you feel?

Louie

My country is still vaccinating risk groups, and autistic people and people with down syndrome are included.
So I had my first shot today.
I really wanted to be vaccinated, but I thought that I wouldn't be until the general public was. But I heard on the news that the mortality rate between us is twice the rate between NT.
Now I'm having brutal side effects. I always get really bad when I get colds: headache, fever, body pain, lack of appetite, and now isn't being different. I don't regret getting the vax, cause it's really important and if the vax did this to me, what would happened if I get covid? My immunological system is a joke , but when will this side effects stop? I slept all afternoon and I feel like crap.
You had side effects? How are you now?

I had the Moderna vaccine.

I had a minor headache for a little bit an hour after the first jab.

I had the same headache in the same time frame after the second, and then the next morning, the headache was worse and I had a cough.

I’m fine now.
Everything disappeared at the 24 hour mark.

I had the Moderna vaccine.

I had a minor headache for a little bit an hour after the first jab.

I had the same headache in the same time frame after the second, and then the next morning, the headache was worse and I had a cough.

I’m fine now.
Everything disappeared at the 24 hour mark.

I had the oxford vaccine. Hope that my side effects go away as fast as yours (the headache is no joke).
Thanks for your answer

Pfizer.
First shot made me achey for a day.

Second, I didn't have any rare side effects but I had literally all the common ones. Laid me out for a day and I ached for two more (mostly back to normal, just couldn't exercise)... except I had chest pain the fourth day, which no one was talking about! So a lot like yours.

I heard the side effects are all from your immune system, it has nothing to do with COVID. I think I had chest pain because I have allergies and the pollen was really coming down that week. My immune system was already working to "fight" the big bad pollen, and it worked again to fight the vaccine, so my allergies and the vaccine effects both got worse.

The Internet says Oxford's actually worse on the first shot, not the second, and the first shot gives side effects more often than any shot from any other COVID vaccine. So it's strong stuff.

I just had my first Pfizer shot on Saturday. No side effects except a sore arm, nothing major. But I've heard from multple sources that the second shot is more likely to produce side effects, so I'm not looking forward to that one. A doctor told me that when he had his second Pfizer shot, within 4 hours he was sapped of all energy and had to go and lie down, but then the next day he was fine. But it's different for everyone.

Last edited:
My country is still vaccinating risk groups, and autistic people and people with down syndrome are included.
So I had my first shot today.
I really wanted to be vaccinated, but I thought that I wouldn't be until the general public was. But I heard on the news that the mortality rate between us is twice the rate between NT.
Now I'm having brutal side effects. I always get really bad when I get colds: headache, fever, body pain, lack of appetite, and now isn't being different. I don't regret getting the vax, cause it's really important and if the vax did this to me, what would happened if I get covid? My immunological system is a joke , but when will this side effects stop? I slept all afternoon and I feel like crap.
You had side effects? How are you now?
Would like to answer but this section is not in the private discussion area and I don't want my info broadcast to the whole world

The Influenza vaccine has been around for many years. You hear in rare cases that people have relatively mild but still unpleasant side effects from the "flu" vaccine but the number in proportion is nearly insignificant.

Why are side effects so common with the Covid vaccines????

I worked with a woman who had unpleasant (yet relatively mild) side effects to flu vaccines. Even so she never was "laid out" for a day or longer, etc.

I just had my first Pfizer shot a few hours ago. So far just a sore arm and I’m tired, but the tiredness may very well be caused by cycling to the vaccination site through fields in full bloom with my severe pollen allergies.

I’m really happy I finally got my shot. I know whatever side effects I can expect will be over in a day or two-three tops. I can deal with that :)

I've regularly had side effects to flu jabs.

Had the Moderna vac. first shot: sore arm, second: chills, fever, sore joints for 4 days....

Why are side effects so common with the Covid vaccines????
It triggers a bigger immune response than the flu vaccine and does so faster, because the vaccine uses a new delivery system (mRNA vaccination) that hasn’t been used in flu vaccines so far.

So you’re seeing more symptoms and they develop sooner after getting the shot, compared to the flu jab.

Yes all done.
1. On the walk home, for about 5 minutes I had a weird mettalic/chemical taste in the back of my throat. Very sore arm, went away in a couple days. Headaches. Vertigo. Nausea. Yech.
The worst of that was over in about a day & a half.

2. Sore arm, went away in a coiple of days. Tired, chills, slight fever, then a couple of days of deeper fatigue & brain fog.

Psychologically: very glad to have that little chore over with and the card in my wallet.

It triggers a bigger immune response than the flu vaccine and does so faster, because the vaccine uses a new delivery system (mRNA vaccination) that hasn’t been used in flu vaccines so far.

So you’re seeing more symptoms and they develop sooner after getting the shot, compared to the flu jab.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it being an mRNA vaccine. Observational studies I've read suggest that AstraZeneca at least more systemic side effects than Pfizer or Moderna, although the mRNA vaccines do seem to show higher local side effects around the injection itself.(newsGP - AstraZeneca and Pfizer: What are the side effects of Australia’s vaccines?)

Here's an article that discusses why people react to vaccines, and how various vaccines have different "reactogenicity", and also discussing how at least sometimes it has more to do with how much we're focusing our attention on it as opposed to just going about our lives. Covid being in the news constantly makes it very easy for people to fixate on their shot and whether or not they are feeling sick, and so probably results in more side effects being reported than would happen for the flu shot.
I Felt Sick After Getting a Vaccine. Why?

Oh, and to answer the OP.

I had my first Moderna shot back in April. Had a sore arm for a couple days, and a mild headache that may or may not have been related to the vaccine at all.
Should be getting second dose within the next month or so I think.

Got the Moderna version of the vaccine. Had a sore arm, some very slight chills, maybe a light sickness. Otherwise, nothing else noteworthy and it's been over a week now since the shot. Everything's good.

I'm due for the second dose sometime this month. Supposed to have stronger symptoms compared to the first dose, but I'll report back on that.

I am in good health and got covid back in October. The only thing I noticed was loss of taste and smell and a bit of heaviness in my chest. That lasted for about 4 months. No other symptoms.

@Amy Stone A friend of mine has lost her sense of smell & taste from Covid-19. At what point, how long, before yours returned? She is sad, misses tasting food & beverages.

The second dose was the worst. I felt very uncomfortable for about 2 days 24 hours after getting the shot. It felt like the day after a long hike where you get dehydrated. I took aspirin that first night to make myself a bit more comfortable. Still happy to be vaccinated.

Okay thank you. I think she’s about 3 months out from it so hopefully normal sense will be back soon.
Hope you’re all healed and completely inmune to it too.

New Threads

Top Bottom