• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Diagnosed" with ADHD

l0v3d

Hi everyone! In September I visited a neurologist about the possibility of ADHD. We went through an entire two-hour evaluation of talking and so fourth and I explained over and over about how difficult it is for me to concentrate or calm my mind down because of how everything goes on at the same time and it never ever takes a break no matter what I do. We then discussed an issue of me "zoning out" which she thought were petit mal seizures after conducting a nerve test and an EEG she found so seizure activity or evidence of past seizures. So we set forth to give the diagnoses of ADHD and she prescribed Adderall. I go back to see her on the 4th of November to discuss any progress and let me tell you there is none.

As I look back having been so focused on the fact that I have a million and one things going through my mind and how hard it is for me to maintain a focus, I realized that there are symptoms that I didn't take into account from early childhood to now. And I'm not sure how I might approach it. It isn't so much that I am looking for a diagnosis, so much as I am seeking answers to understand why I function or dysfunction the way that I do. So I rounded up all of my symptoms and am now poking at my mother for questions about my development as a little one -- I just don't know if I am asking the right ones?

Anyways, that's my introduction. :cute:

If there is anything you can think of that I could ask my mom - please post. FYI I had no speech delay.

Wow! So many welcomes!

I guess I probably won't be posting here for guidance or help, lol. :o_O:

Hello 10v3d. I just joined, but wanted to respond to your post...hope you're still around...

I also have ADHD, plus Aspergers / high-functioning autism. You don't mention Aspergers, and from what I read, you are struggling with the symptoms of ADHD. The good news is you have nothing to lose by taking your medication as prescribed and to see how you feel. Does it help you focus? Does it help you socially? (I know with my ADHD medication, I find a lot of relief with social settings and also I'm able to read & concentrate better.)
Trust your doctor, but don't be afraid to ask questions, either. Also, talk to your mom about things that you want to know.
And don't worry! Because you are smart and can figure things out, and if the medication or diagnosis doesn't feel right to you, then explore other possibilities. A good therapist will be happy to explore these things with you. In other words, TRUST YOURSELF, too, and also in your ability to do what's best for you mental well-being...but give the medication a chance...with ADHD, it's an immediate response, so you will know if it helps you or not pretty quickly. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom