• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Developing and maintaining friendships with Neurotypical-like adults on the Autism Spectrum.

MROSS

Easier said or easier written than done. I sense that the real issue is that finding quality people is challenging - esp. people who had experiences with Aspergers - yet are NeuroTypical (NT) like.

Any experiences with such quality people?

I don't sort my world and friendships by neurology.
I base them on merit.

My friends are a unique bunch of oddballs. I suspect some are autistic, some are definately NT. All are successful in their careers. I fell in with them because they are very accepting. They are wonderful people.

I know a lot of people fitting your description. My profession (IT) is full of them.

I can't figure out what you're trying to achieve ...

... but FWIW, someone with the right social skills could "collect" such people "in the wild" (both Aspies and NT's with HFA traits that wouldn't self-classify as Aspies). They're not all that uncommon outside IT.

Meaning of the term, 'NeuroTypical' (NT) is unrelated to the field of Neurology:

I began this discussion thread to "break the ice" developing freindships can be a challenge if one is not disabled enough, yet not quite able enough either with the Autism Spectrum.

One of my favorite people is not diagnosed but feels he may be, and he knows a lot about it, and he's extraordinarily kind. I love him. He's also smart.

Easier said or easier written than done. I sense that the real issue is that finding quality people is challenging - esp. people who had experiences with Aspergers - yet are NeuroTypical (NT) like.

What do you mean exactly by "neurotypical-like"? High functioning autism?

What do you mean exactly by "neurotypical-like"? High functioning autism?
Simply put, I'm seeking people who've had personal experiences with Aspergers, yet are pretty much able to function in the world at-large.

I stronlgy feel that arts programs e.g, painting, drawing, sculpture can offer excellent "ice breakers" to meet new people - yet such arts programs might be pricey.

I have problems with your referencing "quality." Everyone is "quality" in some sense.

Friendship is an accidental relationship. Two people discover mutually reinforcing traits and common interests and friendship develops. Both friends take pleasure in the other's company. The only way to develop friendships is to interact with people and see who you fit with.

Every friendship has a beginning and many have an end. You have to be open to the idea. You can stumble onto friend material anywhere but the best place to look for friends are organizations and events for people who have similar interests to yours.

Simply put, I'm seeking people who've had personal experiences with Aspergers, yet are pretty much able to function in the world at-large.

I stronlgy feel that arts programs e.g, painting, drawing, sculpture can offer excellent "ice breakers" to meet new people - yet such arts programs might be pricey.
Do not disregard outings groups; hiking, bicycling, or paddling, where I met many nice people. One who recently died has willed me her Mad River, Liberty, canoe. I love that model.

I have a long distance neurotypcial friend. It’s cool and all, but I can’t help but feel she just thinks I’m ok. I mean she talks to me but she’s also pretty independent and I feel she could easily carry on without me. Of course our views are pretty different, which I won’t get into.

Are you looking to considering providing a service or an activity that would appeal to a specific kind of person, or perhaps just looking to make friends you'd get on with? Or something else?

There are a lot of "Aspie-compatible" in the world. I'm often surprised at how easy it is to find others (or in my case be found by others) in the same situation who are looking for informal human interactions.

(If the "60" that shows when I mouse-over your icon is your age, we're of the same generation. My comments in this thread aren't related to looking for romantic partners :)

Are you looking to considering providing a service or an activity that would appeal to a specific kind of person, or perhaps just looking to make friends you'd get on with? Or something else?

There are a lot of "Aspie-compatible" in the world. I'm often surprised at how easy it is to find others (or in my case be found by others) in the same situation who are looking for informal human interactions.

(If the "60" that shows when I mouse-over your icon is your age, we're of the same generation. My comments in this thread aren't related to looking for romantic partners :)
These are good questions as to whether I'm looking to consider providing a service or an activity, or looking to make freinds in a specifc activities.

Before the pandemic, I had participated in two arts programs that closed with the pandemic. Presently, these arts programs have not resumed activities. Arts programs are hard to come by - I sense there is a lack of interest in my community - hence long term arts programs may be viewed as not feasible.

This discussion thread presented potential opportunities, and experiences via other activities unrelated to the arts.

These are good questions as to whether I'm looking to consider providing a service or an activity, or looking to make freinds in a specifc activities.

Before the pandemic, I had participated in two arts programs that closed with the pandemic. Presently, these arts programs have not resumed activities. Arts programs are hard to come by - I sense there is a lack of interest in my community - hence long term arts programs may be viewed as not feasible.

This discussion thread presented potential opportunities, and experiences via other activities unrelated to the arts.
This discussion-thread can be reviewed to better understand potential opportunties, experiences, etc.

Hello,

Any follow-ups to this thread 'Developing and Maintaining Friendships with Neurotypical-Like Adults on the Autism Spectrum?' The thread title alone conveys alot!

You do not have to.
I have found pressure with this too because neurotypical traits at their worse are as just plain evil
And if you cannot do it how can you be less than yourself
People that have problems and sit around complaining all the time are toxic period for the mental health and soul
Once you find your people I do believe you find freedom because as I know bit certain people in my life they are the ones who support you and want to see you happy and you have fun with them. And can be yourself and want to see you healthy.

New Threads

Top Bottom