• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depression is stealing things from me

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Depression has stolen a lot of things from me. I want them back in my life. These would be:

- My enjoyment of music. Depression has made it to where I can’t listen to the bands I loved listening to before this COVID crap flipped the world upside down and isolated me even more than I already was.

- Reading in general. Reading usually helped me to calm down and stimulated my mind. Lately, I can’t decide on what to read or feel like I am getting pleasure from it.

- Playing video games. I am not a hardcore gamer but I had been playing more video games than ever before but I now can’t decide on what to play or even feel motivated to do so.

- Watching movies and shows. I used to find the time to watch something but similarly with video games, I can’t decide on what to watch or feel motivated to watch anything.

Totally relate for me depression is a dark sky with no light or comfort, complete negative thinking and not having a wish to do anything i love or enjoy, fortunately i haven't had a full on bout for a while, i often feel the signs and 'push them away' and go to my 'gratitute' list, also 'make' myself go for a walk, sometimes none of my stratgies work and i do a little meditation to accept my mood and feelings, and sometimes i feel less anxious and calm and sometimes not, for me who's had regular depression since i was 15yrs old i kindof accept that it comes and goes like a distant and unwelcome visitor, i was on antidepressants for a long while and had CBT do you have any strategies, or support from anyone?

Depression has stolen a lot of things from me. I want them back in my life. These would be:

- My enjoyment of music. Depression has made it to where I can’t listen to the bands I loved listening to before this COVID crap flipped the world upside down and isolated me even more than I already was.

- Reading in general. Reading usually helped me to calm down and stimulated my mind. Lately, I can’t decide on what to read or feel like I am getting pleasure from it.

- Playing video games. I am not a hardcore gamer but I had been playing more video games than ever before but I now can’t decide on what to play or even feel motivated to do so.

- Watching movies and shows. I used to find the time to watch something but similarly with video games, I can’t decide on what to watch or feel motivated to watch anything.

The only one that can get that back to you is YOU . Belive me i know its not easy BUT it CAN be done .

Dont try to force things but on the other hand give the things you have enjoyed a chance again even if at first you feel this dont give you anything continue to try. if still nothing try something else on that list

Depression is bacikly youre own mind that tries to mess with youre feelings and the secret to overcome this is DONT listen to youre brains negative feelings. recognice that its the depression starting to mess with youre head again.

Depression has been a frequent unfriend of mine since age 30.
Antidepressents didn't help. Hospitalized several times helped a little.
At least it got me out of my room and around other people.

Daily meditation and guided imagery helps more than anything at home.
Also, working in my garden and being out in nature.

When I'm in a bout of it, I pick one small thing per day and do it.
Even if it is nothing more than cleaning out a drawer or going outside and look at a flower
or the squirrels and birds.
It gives a sense of accomplishment, no matter how small the action.

I relate.

I can't concentrate at the moment, so reading is hard work. I can't even concentrate enough to learn a new computer game.

I downloaded Eastshade from Steam the other day. It was on sale. It looks like a slow enough pace for me to concentrate on. You like art too. It might be something you'd enjoy. I haven't played it yet.

One more thing i like to add (and it hit me when i read Susans brilliant REPLY ) and thats the worst enemy when in the depression is idlenes (belive me i know) So if you dont got something that can ocupy youre mind . then youre brain will work overtime to mess with youre head. it really dont matter what you do as long as youre doing something.

I have been bipolar since i was born bacikly (only then it was called manic depression tendencies ) same with depression and anxiety (now bumped up to Severe on both ) so it has takend me a LOOOONG time to learn how to winn over this attacks :rolleyes: & even for me i have to give it ALL i got to winn over this BUT it CAN be done

Sunshine or a light box, hour in front of light box. This is prescribed by medical docs. This helped my ex if he stuck to it. He would read and eat breakfast in front of it. The cat loved sitting right on it because fur can obstruct sun's rays. There was a definite change in ex's personality.

Feel for you, it's dilbiltating and irritating at the same time.

What has helped you on some days dealing with this?

Sunshine or a light box, hour in front of light box. This is prescribed by medical docs. This helped my ex if he stuck to it. He would read and eat breakfast in front of it. The cat loved sitting right on it because fur can obstruct sun's rays. There was a definite change in ex's personality.

Yeah, I'll testify to this one too. I was prescribed the same thing. It did help.

I'm also going to add one other thing to this: Drink water. ALOT of water. Not just for like one day... it needs to be a whole new regimen and it takes a few weeks for your body to get used to it.

Seriously though, I cant overstate the effect it has. Being dehydrated has a ton of effects both physically and mentally.... and one of those effects is that it does indeed increase negative moods and feelings.

It's not easy to get onto a proper water regimen, because you have to really keep up with it and not get lazy about it, and it'll make you have to use the bathroom about 5 billion times until your body learns to process it properly. But boy will you feel better once that happens. But you have to KEEP AT IT for it to do anything. Dont start it and expect to feel amazing in an hour, things dont work that way. Took about 3 weeks for me. But it sure was worth it. EDIT: also, dont drink alcohol. It's literally a depressant, and it'll cancel out the positive effects listed here.

These days, if I'm starting to feel down, it's usually a cue that says I'm not following that properly, so I'll drink a ton of water, and the problem dissipates.

Yeah, I'll testify to this one too. I was prescribed the same thing. It did help.

I'm also going to add one other thing to this: Drink water. ALOT of water. Not just for like one day... it needs to be a whole new regimen and it takes a few weeks for your body to get used to it.

Seriously though, I cant overstate the effect it has. Being dehydrated has a ton of effects both physically and mentally.... and one of those effects is that it does indeed increase negative moods and feelings.

It's not easy to get onto a proper water regimen, because you have to really keep up with it and not get lazy about it, and it'll make you have to use the bathroom about 5 billion times until your body learns to process it properly. But boy will you feel better once that happens. But you have to KEEP AT IT for it to do anything. Dont start it and expect to feel amazing in an hour, things dont work that way. Took about 3 weeks for me. But it sure was worth it. EDIT: also, dont drink alcohol. It's literally a depressant, and it'll cancel out the positive effects listed here.

These days, if I'm starting to feel down, it's usually a cue that says I'm not following that properly, so I'll drink a ton of water, and the problem dissipates.

I stress what's in water these days. I was drinking LA Croix and found out bad they were for you.
But some fruits and vegetables are loaded with water though.

Pandemics suck very much. History is littered with episodes of Pandemics that tore through lives. Try to lean on those who love you. The word everyone keeps using is "Pivot" Can you take a class online or join a study group? This has caused so many people a lot of stress. At first it was JUST GET THROUGH IT. Now, it is "Good gracious.....we are in for a long haul......" I like this place a lot because it helps me connect with people who get it like I get it. So I hope we can help in some small way.

I understand how you feel. I was majorly depressed since I was a toddler up until last year. I created a blog that explains how I overcame it and other problems associated with autism using methods proven effective in scientific studies (the posts relevant to depression are the ones on self-esteem and alexithymia):
How I overcame problems associated with autism

I stress what's in water these days. I was drinking LA Croix and found out bad they were for you.
But some fruits and vegetables are loaded with water though.

I looked that stuff up. The problem is, it's not pure water. "Soda water", and it absolutely doesnt work for this. Particularly when ingested in large amounts. I mean, I drink soda every day, Mountain Dew, but a very limited amount. One small bottle, and that's it. The people that make that La Croix stuff will be quick to say things like "but it's not really soda", but... they're also quick to want you to hand them money.

When it comes to the idea of a water regimen though, it's gotta be the real thing, the pure stuff, otherwise you can run into issues. No sweeteners, no carbonation..... just water.

Yeah, it's not exciting or amazingly tasty, but it's what the body needs.

Though, it's also best to avoid tap water if possible. Depends on where you live. Best to go with bottled stuff, or water that's been through some sort of proper filter.

Going through this is truly a test of oneself and of others. Not sure where l signed up for this test,and l missed the FYI memo on it too. Think l would rather suffer through a tornado or hurricane but at least it's one catastrophe at a time, wait, major illness, major deaths, major job losses, major riots,
major shortages of things, major tension. Of course- we just need to stay out of major depression and support each other.

Yeah. Where depression ebbs and flows...and periodically robs one of motivation to do a great many things. Rough when it happens, but even worse when it's practically a way of life for some of us. Always returning at some point to make us feel at times like we are less than we should be. :oops:

I looked that stuff up. The problem is, it's not pure water. "Soda water", and it absolutely doesnt work for this. Particularly when ingested in large amounts. I mean, I drink soda every day, Mountain Dew, but a very limited amount. One small bottle, and that's it. The people that make that La Croix stuff will be quick to say things like "but it's not really soda", but... they're also quick to want you to hand them money.

When it comes to the idea of a water regimen though, it's gotta be the real thing, the pure stuff, otherwise you can run into issues. No sweeteners, no carbonation..... just water.

Yeah, it's not exciting or amazingly tasty, but it's what the body needs.

Though, it's also best to avoid tap water if possible. Depends on where you live. Best to go with bottled stuff, or water that's been through some sort of proper filter.

Tap water can be fine - and preferable to bottled water - depending on where you live. Filtering tap water is a good idea, too. To make plain water more palatable, add ice and squeeze a little fresh lemon or lime juice in it.

The USA is fortunate in that we have what is probably the world's best and cleanest supply of water. Back in the old days, like when Nixon created the EPA, New Jersey and later California led the nation in adopting regulations to help ensure clean water for everyone. The reason those 2 states took the forefront is because they were so filthy contaminated. The industrial filth from New York was sent to New Jersey, and past industrial and farming practices in California contaminated the aquifers. The ground water under Silicon Valley is grossly contaminated that I would drink bottled water if I lived there like I did when I lived in New Orleans. Know thy water source!

I want to edit this to say that children are chronically dehydrated. It is a parental responsibility to make your children drink water and NOT soft drinks or fruit juices all the time. I've conducted blood testing on thousands of people in environmental contamination cases. So often the children that we tested were too dehydrated for us to draw blood. Your body cannot make blood without liquid. Even with us sending letters to parents days prior to the blood draws to remind them to make sure their children are hydrated, they would still show up, dry as a bone basically.

Try new genres of music, books and TV/film. If the tried and tested things you usually enjoy aren't eliciting much interest or pleasure, try something completely different.

Ed

There's a cheap and effective way to deal with tap water. get a jug and full it up with tap water and let it sit for 24 hours with the cap off and then use it for drinking water. By letting it sit for a day. It causes all of the chlorine(as well as the other chemicals.) to evaporate.

I can relate. I find that I don’t get the same enjoyment out of the things I usually love, I have lost interest in many movies and also I use to read a lot but now it’s a struggle to finish a book let alone pick one up. I like to draw but I have to get to at least 70 percent satisfied with the sketch I am doing otherwise I will start picking at what is wrong with it and abandon the drawing. Depression can rob you of your interests so I say without forcing yourself too much try to just do a bit at a time regarding reading or your other interests because that’s what I do with my drawings, I get to at least 70 percent because I know I never be 100 percent satisfied and I proceed with finishing my drawing.

It’s difficult but don’t let your depression completely stop you from doing the things you love because those hobbies could be what will help you mentally in the long run.

Last edited:
There's a cheap and effective way to deal with tap water. get a jug and full it up with tap water and let it sit for 24 hours with the cap off and then use it for drinking water. By letting it sit for a day. It causes all of the chlorine(as well as the other chemicals.) to evaporate.

I remember doing this to change the aquarium water. I was told the chemicals would kill the fish.

I remember doing this to change the aquarium water. I was told the chemicals would kill the fish.

The problem with some countries and using tap water to tanks is as been stated they ad chlorine as well as the other Chemicals that is NOT good for the fishes (over here we can use tap water directly from the tap BUT (in fresh water we need to add a special mix for making tap water bilogical, and man use special tank filters to filter tap water before adding it in for example reef tank, Diskus tanks....=Ie fishes etc... that are extra sensitive to water quality )

New Threads

Top Bottom