• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Definition of "Being Nice"

Ste11aeres

"Being Nice":
When after "like"ing a couple of comments on somebody's post, you go through the remaining comments on that same thread, pushing "like" so that the people who wrote them won't have their feelings hurt.

You must be joking, lol.

You can't please everyone, and to the same extent, liking everything just to please others and make sure they don't get their feelings hurt seems ludicrous at best. I like something because I agree with it (or something along that extent), if people need to collect their likes just to feel appreciated all the time, they might want to go outside and notice the "offline world" is nothing like that.

You must be joking, lol.

You can't please everyone, and to the same extent, liking everything just to please others and make sure they don't get their feelings hurt seems ludicrous at best. I like something because I agree with it (or something along that extent), if people need to collect their likes just to feel appreciated all the time, they might want to go outside and notice the "offline world" is nothing like that.
I only did it once. And then I realized how ridiculous and funny it was, so I wrote the above post about it.
BTW, if I like anybody's comments or posts, yes, I really meant it.

Yes! If I'm in a good mood, like what they say, or to be geopolitically correct :p Hmmm or globally correct...? Depends on my mood. My brothers friend in high school, on facebook-he likes a lot of posts. He's popular + he's a nice guy. I believe that sends a positive wave/energy
on facebook. Same with here-being generous with likes makes AC a more fun place to be.

Just a late night I'm so tired thought... ;)

"Being Nice":
When after "like"ing a couple of comments on somebody's post, you go through the remaining comments on that same thread, pushing "like" so that the people who wrote them won't have their feelings hurt.

Yes! If I'm in a good mood, like what they say, or to be geopolitically correct :p Hmmm or globally correct...? Depends on my mood. My brothers friend in high school, on facebook-he likes a lot of posts. He's popular + he's a nice guy. I believe that sends a positive wave/energy
on facebook. Same with here-being generous with likes makes AC a more fun place to be.

Just a late night I'm so tired thought... ;)

LOL...works for me, Sparticus. Plus I think it's another way of conveying GMTA. ;)

It's been a long time since I ran into so many people on the same wavelength. Something worth commenting on...even if only with a "like".

Something similar happens to me when I personify inanimate objects (which is... pretty much all the time). I'll start wishing the trees a nice day, and then I notice the grass and wish it a nice day too, and then I notice everything else, and...

It basically winds up with me saying "God bless everything".

People really take 'likes' on facebook to heart like that?
Whenever I try to be nice to people, it's seen as being mean, like correcting them when they say something incorrect. Why would a friend let someone go around spreading incorrect information? I always am thankful whenever someone corrects me or informs me about something, but whenever I do it, people get mad :rolleyes2:
So I guess the only other way I know to be nice to someone is to be quiet lol

"Ste11aeres, post: 67925, member: 2094"]"Being Nice":

I try to put nice flags on peoples stuff so they will be happy and feel noticed...sometimes it backfires and and they think I'm over liking them...they don't realize I decorated almost everyone on the thread as I read it...and sometimes the site eats my likes if I exit wrong, and I don't feel like redoing 50 likes again.:rolleyes:

I like the posts which really resonate with me, the ones in which the writer explains something really well and ones in which the writer is being particularly kind to another member. Oh, and quite often when tree posts something I find funny. I hope that's not too much, although it probably is...!

Hmm, ghoulbler you're quite right, people don't seem to like being corrected despite the fact that you're making them cleverer (or at least less likely to look a bit of a wally in front of others!) for the future. It's an odd phenomenon...

I 'like' all the posts in a thread - except the occasional one I deem inflammatory or insulting:

1. So I know I've read the thread if I come back to it at a later time.
2. Because it makes me happy to be acknowledged when I get a like.. spread the love..
3. I'm a little OCD.

Hmm, might have to rethink that behaviour :confused:

I like the posts which really resonate with me, the ones in which the writer explains something really well and ones in which the writer is being particularly kind to another member. Oh, and quite often when tree posts something I find funny. I hope that's not too much, although it probably is...!

Hmm, ghoulbler you're quite right, people don't seem to like being corrected despite the fact that you're making them cleverer (or at least less likely to look a bit of a wally in front of others!) for the future. It's an odd phenomenon...

I agree with you metalminx24 , I try to help someone in my posts most of the time...my efforts aren't always appreciated no matter how careful I am, but perhaps something I said will stick down the road and save someone from some heart ache...one can always hope?

I agree with you metalminx24 , I try to help someone in my posts most of the time...my efforts aren't always appreciated no matter how careful I am, but perhaps something I said will stick down the road and save someone from some heart ache...one can always hope?

It's the thought that counts...even if the words don't always come out the way you intended. ;)

Indeed you can Sir. Or if it's too much to hope, you can always hop...because it's shorter [emoji12]

Ha ha! metalminx24 :p...:rabbitface: hopping is manditory:confused: I think??? after one gets ones toes stomped on for unwelcome advice...:rolleyes:

The problem is allot of the time all is wanted is validation for a grievance, and I do try to sympathize, and empathize, but 2 people feeling poor instead of one doesn't do much to make the world more pleasant.
At the end end of the day even tho I'm a Romantic Utopianist I still feel some practical basic effort needs to be made to improve the quality of happiness in our lives. Sometimes it involves sacrifices of pride, and comfort, on one or more sides. If you get 2 people in 1 room someone is not going to get their way on something at least part of the time. The trick is learning how to share the baby, instead of cutting it in half, or stealing it. Taking the time to express friendship, and love, smooths allot of these things out, in my view. I know these things aren't easy, I have suffered plenty, but it doesn't have to be a all or nothing thing for either side sometimes just a little softness and explaining is all that is needed. hopefully:rolleyes:

But what do I know I'm just a tired battle scarred auspie... best wishes in life Mael :cool: :cat: cats help too!

It's the thought that counts...even if the words don't always come out the way you intended. ;)

Yes Judge , and you know the saying the road to Hell is paved by good intentions. I try not to get under foot too much... as it is also unrealistic to expect someone to turn their lives upside down because one said the perfect words. My view is maybe? just plant the good seed and get out of the way, and if it grows, it grows, if not it wasn't meant to be. We don't control the evil winds and rain that blow through the world, we just try to survive them, one day at a time.

One day at a time Mael, that's all we can do.. one moment at a time, in fact as all we really have is.. right now!
Help those who want to help themselves as those who don't won't listen anyway, I've found.

Hey, I've made two comments on this thread now - intentionally without 'like'-ing a single other post.. and I only feel guilty and.. fidgety/itchy/stimmy ;)

One day at a time Mael, that's all we can do.. one moment at a time, in fact as all we really have is.. right now!
Help those who want to help themselves as those who don't won't listen anyway, I've found.

Hey, I've made two comments on this thread now - intentionally without 'like'-ing a single other post.. and I only feel guilty and.. fidgety/itchy/stimmy ;)

Yes Spiller ,one day at a time, Sigh! some times the road left for me looks too hard and lonely to bear.:confused: I don't consider my self the Oracle Delphi on this autism relations stuff, but it would be nice to know I spared some one out there some of the suffering I went through. It took years for me to figure out some of these Byzantine relational things...and I'm still not done working on some of them.:confused: Emotional logic in relations often makes very little sense.o_O

"Lonely and hard - ye don't need te tell me aboot lonely and hard, we lived in a paper bag in 't middle o' road.."

Nyahh.. Monty Python lyrics coming to mind there :D

<Clears throat>

Yeah, got no answer to that, Mael my friend, except to try to find a way to laugh anyway.. even if you have to get off your face to do so!

I share far more here on AC than I've ever shared anywhere, with anyone - so people know they're not the only ones going through sh*t, right?
It helps me, I consider I have a reasonable resemblance to Human-kind, therefore it (hopefully) helps them.

No-one's gonna come up to you and go, "Hey, thanks man, you really helped me!".. all you can do is be the best person you can be (even when you feel like a pig farmers boot-scraping) and trust that you can still teach by example.

I learned that being a parent - when you want to cry, scream, tear your own face off.. leave it till the kids're in bed and definitely asleep!

I get emotional logic, function that way myself - I just wish other people did.. I bet they'd find it's a lot more fun my way.. ;)

(Ps: I just noticed that even a full stop, '.' looks different in italics: '.'.. is there a purpose to italic punctuation? Small things make me smile, lol)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom