• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

dating sites

I've thought about this before. But I think it depends more on the level of functioning on either side, and if the details of their Aspberger's ends up complimenting or complicating each other's. It just depends on the individual, in my opinion, it can go either way probably.

Yep. There are higher odds that people with dyslexia could be more complimentary to autistic people than fellow autistic people, due to neurological differences.

This is a little thought fact until... well, I hit it up with the dyslexics myself!

Dating takes two to tango, though

Yes, I'll concede that it does depend on the individuals involved, ultimately. However, just thinking from my personal perspective, if I had to live with someone with similar traits to myself, I doubt I would be a happy camper because, to be quite honest, I'm not the easiest person to live with. Which is why I prefer to have someone with different traits to me so they can balance the relationship.

I have enough issues being around my current partner, who is probably ADHD [but he won't get himself formally tested]. He has a lot of ADHD traits, like disorganisation, planning issues, procrastination...so that's probably biasing me. I know ADHD is not ASD but I guess the parallel I'm making is that we are probably still two people with some condition occurring that impacts on our lives.

I guess the flip-side is that if you were dating someone with similar issues to your own, there is a mutual understanding and potential for greater support. It all depends if both people are stable and healthy in their mindset.

I guess the flip-side is that if you were dating someone with similar issues to your own, there is a mutual understanding and potential for greater support. It all depends if both people are stable and healthy in their mindset.

All the best to your relationship, Occasional_Demon.

I hate the term "dating site". As if I'm only looking there to score a date (and get laid). I'd like to establish contacts before I go somewhere. That being said, I browse around. It's not solely for the purpose of scoring a date, even if it's for contacts. I should add, that I tend to go around some social networks, and I treat a site that specifies itself as "dating" no different. The only difference probably is minor details on yourself which you put out there. I don't write anything else on either site, than I would on another. People should accept me like I am, and if that would mean I'm using big words, have odd interests and whatnot, well.. that's what they're getting. It's the last thing I'd do, is to over-romanticise myself just to score some sex.

I could've imagined that there's site for aspies and all. But they seem so stereotypical. Same as the geek2geek site. From what I've browsed everyone has a university degree... cause that what apparently makes up being a geek. I've had a profile up on a site where it was supposedly a 130+ IQ to get there. I found the site a no-brainer (pun intended). And those people over there, are equally stereotypical. Well, in a way, I stood out, as not having a degree or a job. And to boot, not look like a stereotypical geek/nerd. I've been on Okcupid recently, more so just to see what's around. The odd thing is that sites like myspace or facebook get me more in touch with people... probably because it's not the entire "wink" deal and the succesion of someone proposing an ice-breaker. I tend to mix in a lot better in alternative lifestyle networks, then I am with the "normal" networks, probably cause of interests, looks and the full deal.

I agree with Kasmanafto8 on the point that it can go either way, and even more so with people on the spectrum. It's a more critical stage of hit or miss I guess.

Recently I got in touch with a girl who suffered from anxiety disorder and PDD-NOS, but after 3 months we figured it didn't work out on a social level even. She thought I pointed out way to much details about life in general, made too much of a fuss about a lot... I'll leave that in the middle if that's either ASD or just "me". In the end she pretty much figured that the person of me, got her to up her dosage on meds. In a way I found it quite funny... but actually, that's when it gets serious. People in need of meds to cope with you...

I think going specifically for another aspie significantly lowers your options.

On the mainstream sites, people are more accepting than you might think. Especially if you have taken the time to build. Email for a month or so, get her number, text a bit, talk a bit, text, talk, etc... and by the first date you're almost a couple. Zero awkwardness. Best buddies. Everything is awesome, and it continues on.

Yes,

I have been on other Dating websites but not any ASD Dating websites including the ones you mentioned on your post but I am considering giving it a go as I have never had any luck in establishing any romances with men without any ASDs. Therefore some of my work colleagues have suggested to me that I should try and establish a romance with a man who also has an ASD.

I have signed up with aspieaffection.com. I have also signed up with autisticdating.net. The problem I have with them both is that there are not many local members on these websites as most of them live far away from me and I would want someone local.

I have signed up with aspieaffection.com. I have also signed up with autisticdating.net. The problem I have with them both is that there are not many local members on these websites as most of them live far away from me and I would want someone local.

I actually think that is a problem for a lot of datingwebsites that are "specific". If I'm autistic, or for instance like trains or even exclusively like only Ridley Scott movies... how big are the chances you will run into someone within 10 miles AND that it's actually a good match?

I'm not putting you down for expecting it... I really hope you'll meet up with someone nearby, but it's a bit of a games of odds I think.

I've never used a dating site as I'm married but I'm fascinated with the idea of them. I know a NT who met her husband on one & they're apparently happy together. As for an Aspie dating site, I'd be more bound to trust the info a person puts in their profile since few Aspies wear a social mask very well or are interested in lying about their passions. Your passions don't have to be identical to the person you meet's passions: they only have to be compatible. For ex, my husband has a rigid after work routine he adheres to most evenings. FINE! Let him do his thing. I LOVE to take time to write quietly in the evening so I leave him to it & he does the same for me.

I HATE when my phone rings during the day. I must leave it on because if there was an emergency with either of my kids or my elderly parents, I'd need to take the call. My husband is the absolute boss where he works & is a workaholic who hates interruptions at the office. GREAT! I won't call him unless there really IS an emergency & HE doesn't bug me either.

:bounce: Hello,

I have found another ASD Dating website last night through the google search engine and found Autistic Personals. This website has more local members on it than the other two dating websites that I have already signed up with. I have signed up with this website last night and been on it again this morning to complete the rest of my profile on it. The website address is www.autisticpersonals.com. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have accounts at most of the major dating websites and none of them have ever turned up anything even remotely promising.

Actually I don't have accounts at Eharmony or Chemistry because the sites themselves rejected me!

I have found another ASD Dating website last night through the google search engine and found Autistic Personals. This website has more local members on it than the other two dating websites that I have already signed up with. I have signed up with this website last night and been on it again this morning to complete the rest of my profile on it. The website address is www.autisticpersonals.com. :biggrin:

I'm surprised that I've never heard of it.

I doubt I'll be signing up, but I'm curious: How many profiles are on there?

I met my current gf on a dedicated dating website. I wasn't really looking for relationships, just wanted to see if I could make some friends. It worked out OK so far. I have met many people through the internet, just not on dating specific websites... back in the days of the IRC, pretty much all my friends were met online. Some girlfriends came from the IRC. When ICQ arrived, it was da bomb. I could query with so many parameters, location, age, eye-color, xyz perversity... couple of dependable booty calls came out of ICQ.

I have also met most of buddies online, on chat rooms and forum boards. Some romantic partners were met in real life, but through people that I met online.

PS: I need to add I've only used *FREE* dating sites. Many "Paid Dating sites" out there are usually scams, full of fake profiles and paid models. Like with everything else, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited:

Neat. I never heard of that before. I might have a look, just out of curiosity. I don't think I'll sign up.

I have used a couple of the free dating sites... Plenty of Fish and Ok Cupid. I never had much luck with Plenty of Fish, I had some dates but they never really worked out well. I had one long term relationship with a guy I found on Ok Cupid about 2 years ago, and decided to give it another try after hearing that my sister has found some good guys on there lately. I have been dating a guy from Ok Cupid for about a month, and we we in contact via the internet and texting for about a month or so prior to meeting up in person. So far it is going pretty well, but my insecurities and anxieties sometimes get in the way. I am so used to things going badly and I really like him, so I worry about the smallest things and interpret things as being negative when I probably shouldn't. He seems to be a good match for me, so I hope things will work out.

I actually think that is a problem for a lot of datingwebsites that are "specific". If I'm autistic, or for instance like trains or even exclusively like only Ridley Scott movies... how big are the chances you will run into someone within 10 miles AND that it's actually a good match?

I'm not putting you down for expecting it... I really hope you'll meet up with someone nearby, but it's a bit of a games of odds I think.

Yes, sometimes this can be the case of a distance romance being a good match as well as or instead a local romance. I am thinking about if I do want a distance romance or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom