• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Darkness

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
This may sound strange but does anyone else out there do better with darkness than light? I am finding the shorter days easier to deal with. I like the cold nights very much and my new job keeps me out of doors at night. It's peaceful ....

I would much rather it be cold during the darker months than hot during the Summer since without expensive air conditioning I can't avoid the heat and I find it very uncomfortable, it then winds me up hearing heat wave forecasts on TV when they keep saying how glorious it is when I absolutely hate it with a passion and it in fact puts thousands of people, especially older people in hospital (and also causes lots of deaths). Also during the colder months there's less likely to be idiots hanging around for ages outside making noise near where I live and people are more likely to have their windows closed so I can't hear their awful blasting music (I hate hearing it).

People also often wonder why I keep myself in semi darkness all day with my curtains drawn and even my main light is very dim and rarely used, I do much prefer darkness over light in that respect, also total darkness doesn't frighten me even in allegedly haunted locations as I was a serious paranormal investigator for years from 1996 until all the more recent hype and unprofessional companies making money from it with fake public investigations and TV series where everyone is supposed to be frightened like out of a horror movie put me off. The only thing I don't like about darkness is going out certain places where there's probably an increased chance of being attacked.

Last edited:
I like the dark, the cold, and the night. With winter, I go to work in the dark, stay indoors all day, and come home in the dark. All I know is dark in the winter, it's pretty awesome actually.

I would much rather it be cold during the darker months than hot during the Summer since without expensive air conditioning I can't avoid the heat and I find it very uncomfortable, it then winds me up hearing heat wave forecasts on TV when they keep say how glorious it is when I absolutely hate it with a passion and it in fact puts thousands of people, especially older people in hospital (and also causes lots of deaths). Also during the colder months there's less likely to be idiots hanging around for ages outside making noise near where I live and people are more likely to have their windows closed so I can't hear their awful blasting music (I hate hearing it).

People also often wonder why I keep myself in semi darkness all day with my curtains drawn and even my main light is very dim and rarely used, I do much prefer darkness over light in that respect, also total darkness doesn't frighten me even in allegedly haunted locations as I was a serious paranormal investigator for years from 1996 until all the more recent hype and unprofessional companies making money from it with fake public investigations and TV series where everyone is supposed to be frightened like out of a horror movie put me off. The only thing I don't like about darkness is going out certain places where there's probably an increased chance of being attacked.

You would love my job, @pjcnet. I am a security guard on the night shift at an abandoned mental hospital. There are all kinds of strange sounds and I am sure the place is haunted. It's not in a great area so I am armed but there are four other guards roaming the grounds and nothing bad has ever happened. But, oh man, there are times when I've felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I do believe in ghosts and several times I thought I saw strange hafts of light.

I block my room with cardboard boxes, because the blinds aren’t enough to shield the moonlight. Although, I’ve had a few nightmares about being trapped in a box, because my room is almost pitch black at night.

I also need the dark. I hate the sunlight. I can do artificial light. But I HATE THE COLD. I cannot stand it. In the summer, I could die in a hot car and not even notice. I wear long sleeves in the summer and a knit hat, as I have said before. I need to post a pic of my sitting in the SAUNA at the gym with long sleeves, knit hat and frozen hands!!!!

You would love my job, @pjcnet. I am a security guard on the night shift at an abandoned mental hospital. There are all kinds of strange sounds and I am sure the place is haunted. It's not in a great area so I am armed but there are four other guards roaming the grounds and nothing bad has ever happened. But, oh man, there are times when I've felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I do believe in ghosts and several times I thought I saw strange hafts of light.
That is very scary! I feel sad when I see those place, thinking how awful they were. I am sure I would have been in one in the 40s. My friend was in one in the 70s and we went later to see his building that was now abandonned. My heart ACHED as he walked around, looking at things and wondering why they did those things to him. He never got over it. I miss him. He killed himself, they were such B&&****rds to him.

I also need the dark. I hate the sunlight. I can do artificial light. But I HATE THE COLD. I cannot stand it. In the summer, I could die in a hot car and not even notice. I wear long sleeves in the summer and a knit hat, as I have said before. I need to post a pic of my sitting in the SAUNA at the gym with long sleeves, knit hat and frozen hands!!!!
Wow, you are the complete opposite to me, but my neighbour who lives above me who I also suspect is on the autistic spectrum says he hates the cold too. He is always wearing winter clothes and a warm hat even in the middle of the Summer on boiling hot days which I can't stand, I spoke to him on one such day and he said it was just about warm enough when I was suffering even in a t-shirt, he even said he'd like it if it got even hotter.

Last edited:
Do the other guards think they have seen ghosts?

Well, a few years ago I began putting a blanket up over my bedroom window from May through October.

Now I've just left it up there indefinitely. More darkness, better sleep. :)

I need darkness to sleep. We have blackout curtains on our bedroom window. This time of the year, nighttime is no problem. But I work in the mornings (2 to 4 hr.) and usually take a nap in the afternoon. I could not do this with out blackout curtains.

I'm very sensitive to cold - I hate the cold, and darkness or absence of sunlight really affects my mood. Also, I find the lighting in places like supermarkets very intense, for some reason it's not such an issue in the daytime. I prefer natural sunlight to artificial lighting.

gives you skin cancer.

No, the sun does not give skin cancer. It is the creams one uses that give skin cancer.

My husband is out all day because of gardening and never wears creams and he has never had skin cancer.

Honestly, it is a hoax, to get people to buy creams; but creams have ingredients that cause cancers.

Yes, the sun causes sun burn, for some and is damaging if one insists on trying to look at it directly, but that is all.

That is very scary! I feel sad when I see those place, thinking how awful they were. I am sure I would have been in one in the 40s. My friend was in one in the 70s and we went later to see his building that was now abandonned. My heart ACHED as he walked around, looking at things and wondering why they did those things to him. He never got over it. I miss him. He killed himself, they were such B&&****rds to him.

Those Mental Hospitals were terrible places where unspeakable things happened. Who knows the full extent of the experimental horrors that went on? In those days record keeping was shoddy at best, and at worst, records were outright destroyed. The cruelty that some patients suffered under a cloak of secrecy is reminiscent of the medical experiments conducted by nazis. Personally, I hope that this building stands as a reminder to all that we should never forget our past. Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

You've got to get your blood tested the doctor needs to know your iron count or if you have low blood sugar

No, the sun does not give skin cancer. It is the creams one uses that give skin cancer.

My husband is out all day because of gardening and never wears creams and he has never had skin cancer.

Honestly, it is a hoax, to get people to buy creams; but creams have ingredients that cause cancers.

Yes, the sun causes sun burn, for some and is damaging if one insists on trying to look at it directly, but that is all.
Where is your evidence that the sun doesn't give skin cancer

This may sound strange but does anyone else out there do better with darkness than light? I am finding the shorter days easier to deal with. I like the cold nights very much and my new job keeps me out of doors at night. It's peaceful ....
It depends on how bad the panic attacks are and if I've got an infection and as in tonight if somebody who must be demented is letting off fireworks :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Like starlight if the Street is quiet ,the light at dusk and at dawn,like sunlight if the street is quiet.
When it gets below 8 degrees I want to hibernate .
I tried to sleep till 7 o'clock haven't done that for 11 years usually sleep for three hours at the most then wake up and try to go back to sleep after a couple of hours

The fact that it is dark a lot in the winter does not bother me, nor does the cold. What does bother me is the heat in the summer. I have to spend my afternoons in the house when it is real hot. It is a lot easier to warm up when you are cold, than it is to cool down when you are hot.

New Threads

Top Bottom