• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Darkness makes a normal atmosphere, sinister!

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I wait til 6:30 am to go and post a special letter each day, as the street lamps come on at that time, but suddenly, they do not and so, I have to go out in the pitch dark, with my torch and reason, that I should be safe, because surely even a bad person, would need a torch? However, I chose to be prudent and took my phone with me, just in case and now, even got an sos app!

I am walking back and suddenly, just across the road to my home, on the street was a dog, but of all things, it was wolf like and that was not the darkness tricking me! It was walking away from me, but suddenly, obviously hearing me, decided to turn around and walk towards me! The dog only looked curious, but that darkness made it seem sinister and goodness, me, my heart started thumping and rushed to my drive way. I closed the gate with relief and then, realised with quiet astonishment, that I had to leave it open, for my husband to leave for work a short while later!

I so wish the street lamps would go back to going on at 6:30!

Ahhh yes...searching for eyes in the darkness...can't make distinctions...can't see detail...is it human or a tiger...ahhhh...human doesn't growl like that...time to run and look for a change of underpants. :D

Fear of the unknown has kept our species alive for thousands of years.

Better timing for streetlamps would be helpful. :)

I have enjoyed the dark at times.Night diving is an amazing experience to see the critters out hunting. And, with a clear sky I love seeing the stars, milky way and other galaxies and nebulae.

Suzanne - why aren't the streetlights turned on? Is it an energy-saving tactic likely to continue until France resolves its present problems with restricted energy supplies?

I enjoy night more than day. I'm sensitive to bright light, and I like the solitude that the night brings. I enjoy watching the sky turn indigo, framed by the sillhouettes of black cedars, and then waiting as the first stars open their eyes. I don't know if this makes sense, but I can see better, and think clearer when lights are dim.

@Suzanne
"I wait til 6:30 am to go and post a special letter each day..."
Why then?

"I have to go out in the pitch dark..."
Does the place to post the letter vanish in the daylight?

@Suzanne
Why then?

Maybe it was a typo and she meant 6:00 pm? But then, her husband wouldn't be going to work at 6 pm. So maybe the lights are turned off earlier than before in order to save electricity?

Last edited:
I think it was a typo. She meant 6:00 pm.

I don't know what she meant.

It does make more sense that street lights would come on in the evening, though.

Why it would be necessary to make a ritual of mailing the letter after dark, I don't know.
To avoid being seen?

I don't know, tree. I edited my response when I remembered that her husband is a landscaper or gardener who surely works during daylight hours.

@Suzanne? What's going on with the streetlights? Curious minds want to know! Can you wait till the sun comes up to go post your letter? Or post it earlier in the evening while there is still natural light if you meant 6 pm?

@Suzanne
Why then?

Because the street lights always went on at that time.

Lol, no, thanks to my wind up torch.

I don't know, tree. I edited my response when I remembered that her husband is a landscaper or gardener who surely works during daylight hours.

@Suzanne? What's going on with the streetlights? Curious minds want to know! Can you wait till the sun comes up to go post your letter? Or post it earlier in the evening while there is still natural light if you meant 6 pm?
I wish I knew why suddenly the lights do not go on at that time, because there was no notice that it would and actually, the lights now go on, at a random time after that hour, so I am hoping there is a malfunction.

My husband is a gardener.

Why it would be necessary to make a ritual of mailing the letter after dark, I don't know.
To avoid being seen?
At 6:30 am the street lights were always turned on and suddenly not. However, I have got so used to going out at that time, that everything else is arranged around that. I have tried to change things around, in order to go out, in the light, but nope, does not work.

I just laugh to myself and think: well, making great use of my wind up torch now, which will come in handy when a real emergancy happens.

At 6:30 am the street lights were always turned on and suddenly not. However, I have got so used to going out at that time, that everything else is arranged around that. I have tried to change things around, in order to go out, in the light, but nope, does not work.

I just laugh to myself and think: well, making great use of my wind up torch now, which will come in handy when a real emergancy happens.

Maybe you are saying that at 6:30AM (which is morning, but definitely not
necessary daylight) the street light were still on from having come on in the
evening, but now, for no reason that you know of, the street lights aren't
on at 6:30 in the morning?

Or did you really mean PM??

---
Or do you mean the streetlights turn off during the night and come back
on before dawn, around 6:30AM???

New Threads

Top Bottom