• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dance? I’m talk’en bout Disco, yeah that 80’s thing. :-)

ForestGumpett

Any older former Disco folks here? I worked full time as a secretary, a terrible secretary cause I can’t spell and computers weren’t invented so I used a lot of stuff called “white out” and I guess that sounds racist now days . It was used to fix mistakes. (Y’all kids just don’t realize how easy you have it now with spell check and stuff).

At night, I hit the discos and this was every night. Loved to dance, 4” heels and boogie-woogie all night back when we wore dresses, not much to the dresses and they were skin tight but we did wear them. Shoulder pads in them that would make the Star Wars warriors jealous!

Anyone else care to fess up to loving the discos? Yeah folks made fun, don’t care I had a ball!

if you like dancing disco was great just got married at the beginning, first kid couple of years latter, no time, no money so missed the boat we both really like dancing. great dance music with the beat.

@Yeshuasdaughter ; I’d give an arm and leg to have beautiful red hair like that! OMG, the pic with you laying back and your hair on the blanket, gosh what a gorgeous head of hair!!! Was a hairdresser in the 90’s, women paid a fortune to get that color but to have that much hair too is truly a blessing! :relaxed:

Your very pretty!

Had a stroke a year and a half ago had to re-learn to walk again 6 months ago left arm still has some residual effects, danced again for the first time two weeks ago at a party. I am over coming a disability.

This is my second time learning to walk again over my life time. Curious I refused to use the wheel chair when it was offered in the hospital, knew I could recover, experience matters. Curious what put you in the chair?

Any older former Disco folks here? I worked full time as a secretary, a terrible secretary cause I can’t spell and computers weren’t invented so I used a lot of stuff called “white out” and I guess that sounds racist now days . It was used to fix mistakes. (Y’all kids just don’t realize how easy you have it now with spell check and stuff).

At night, I hit the discos and this was every night. Loved to dance, 4” heels and boogie-woogie all night back when we wore dresses, not much to the dresses and they were skin tight but we did wear them. Shoulder pads in them that would make the Star Wars warriors jealous!

Anyone else care to fess up to loving the discos? Yeah folks made fun, don’t care I had a ball!
Got my love of true disco 1970s from my mother.

I the ability to walk the first time due transverse myelitis probably caused by the polio vaccine. if I can relearn twice you should be able to do it once hard work gets easier over time.

I was never very good at dancing. People tried to teach me, but I tired of the criticism. It does not help that I enjoy music of all kinds, but being mocked was just too hurtful.

I was in high school (under age) in the '70s, but our HS dances were disco.
I married early in the '80s.
I didn't drink then.
I don't drink much now.

With my singing background, I would like to try karaoke sometime, too, but not drinking doesn't facilitate that.

Well, in my MP3 collection I still keep a disco section of the best of two artists:

1) Donna Summer
2) The Bee Gees.

So sue me. :p

And no, I don't have anything by KC and his Sunshine Band. :eek:

This is my second time learning to walk again over my life time. Curious I refused to use the wheel chair when it was offered in the hospital, knew I could recover, experience matters. Curious what put you in the chair?
On the chair? I find it very hard to understand abstract English what is in the chair?:)

On my playlist,
  • 1974-Kraftwerk - Autobahn
  • 1975-Silver Convention - Fly Robin Fly
  • 1976-Spinners - Rubberband Man (does that count?)
  • 1976-Walter Murphy - A Fifth of Beethoven
  • 1976-Walter Murphy - Flight 76
  • 1979-Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
  • 2003-Numeriklab - NCIS (it's EDM, anyway)
The Theme from SWAT (1975) was pretty disco, too.
Rhythm Heritage

Last edited:
My mother's record collection is the Bee gees greatest hits Barbra Streisand greatest hits she has a duet with Donna summer then I have my mother's 45 and LPS, I listen to 80s music that is for dancing and then 70s and 60s.

When I hear the term 'Disco' I think of the 70's dance revival. Songs like 'The Hustle' by Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony and 'Stayin Alive' by the Bee Gees.

hustle.jpg

Interestingly, this was the Bee Gees second time around. They had been a sucessfull Pop group in the 60s and then faded for a while before re-emerging in their 3 piece suits.

beegees.jpg

I didn't think the music great but not horrible either. Some songs were catchy. But I very much disliked the culture that seemed to go with it. Expensive clothes, dance styles that you actually had to know how to dance to do, expensive drugs, etc. It also seemed to draw an older crowd, with jobs even. This was the Me generation. (I was in High School then)

The following dance movement which started in late 70's and into the 80's, I think of as New Wave, was much different and waay better in my opinion (Billy Joel in retrospect called it a 'Dance Hall craze' in his 90's song 'Blond over Blue'). Music all over the place, anything goes on the dance floor and the stupider the better. Well anyone could do that. What's not to like. :D. I think of song's like 'Rock Lobster' by the B-52s and 'Tainted Love' by Soft Cell, and of course 'Safety Dance' by Men Without Hats.

Men-Without-Hats-e1495549083288.jpg

More recently there was a small but persistant effort to find the 'lunatic girl dancer' in that video from almost 40 years ago..

lunatic-girl-wanted1.png

And here she is, Louise Court. She had a long successful career as journalist and then editor of Cosmopolitan Magazine UK.

louise-s-move.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom