• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dad chatting up women

I am a bit bias about the age thing because I am 21 years younger than my boyfriend. Of course I was 40 when I met him, but still the age difference raises eyebrows sometimes. The only downside is that the odds are he will die long before me and that sometimes makes me cry if I think about it. We are best friends, he's actually the best friend I've ever had and sometimes I get terribly mushy about the whole thing. It wasn't looks or money that attracted us to each other, it was hiking and a long conversation about Louisiana meat pies.

If two people who are very different in age (assuming that they're both adults) happen to meet and realize that their personalities work really well for each other, and fall for each other, I wish them happiness.

But when it's instead a matter of pursuing people outside your age range, and only pursuing them, that's a little bit weird.

To clarify, what I mean is you can meet an individual and like them so much as an individual that their age doesn't matter. But if you haven't met anyone special, if you've simply decided to "find" someone and are at the stage where you're pursuing women in general or men in general, then it's a bit weird if you're seeking out ones that are 20 years younger than you.

It's true that such an age difference is uncommon. I don't try to judge other people and they can do what they want, but sure I too find it strange. I'd feel creepy as hell dating someone 20+ years younger than me.

Besides that, it's well know that divorce rate increase with age difference. Here's a quote,
"The study, which was conducted in 2014, is based on information from over 3000 people in the United States. Couples with a one year age difference were the most likely to make it with just a 3% chance of divorce, however those chances jumped up to 18% for a five year difference and 39% for a ten year difference. For relationships with a 20 year age gap, things look pretty bleak with a 95% chance of separation."

I think such a large age gap leads to an unbalanced relationship, especially when the guy gets in his 80's. His wife will be young and full of energy, but he's going to start slowing down a lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom