• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

A lot of books, mainly audiobooks, but last actual book I handled was this thing I picked up, very cheaply. I have attention problems so only read 40 pages.

The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War Hardcover - 20 Sept. 2018 by Ben MacIntyre

Currently I'm working my way through (once again) the Silmarillion by Tolkien. I'd just finished recently the Tales of Numenor and enjoyed it very much (although Turin's story gets...a bit dry after a while). The Silmarillion was the first book by Tolkien which I ever read, perhaps four or five years ago.

Currently I'm working my way through (once again) the Silmarillion by Tolkien. I'd just finished recently the Tales of Numenor and enjoyed it very much (although Turin's story gets...a bit dry after a while). The Silmarillion was the first book by Tolkien which I ever read, perhaps four or five years ago.
I'm looking forward to trying The Silmarillion in the next few months. I read a little when I got Lyme Disease a year and a half ago, and could barely move. I ended up watching Lord of the Rings three times and skimming through some Tolkien.

I'm very touched by how his love of the natural world and his experience in WWI influenced all this. Not to mention his love for his wife. One thing many of Tolkien's imitators lack is that personal investment in the story. He was influenced by very real, traumatic things, while they are only imitating him.

I'm looking forward to trying The Silmarillion in the next few months. I read a little when I got Lyme Disease a year and a half ago, and could barely move. I ended up watching Lord of the Rings three times and skimming through some Tolkien.

I'm very touched by how his love of the natural world and his experience in WWI influenced all this. Not to mention his love for his wife. One thing many of Tolkien's imitators lack is that personal investment in the story. He was influenced by very real, traumatic things, while they are only imitating him.
Sorry to hear you got struck with Lyme--I hope you're doing better~

Last year I saw the entire extended-edition LOTR trilogy and is was way better than I remembered as a kid. It probably helped to have read the trilogy recently to viewing them. But I agree with you--I was always hesitant to get into his writing because I felt it was too in-depth, too dimensional...but once you get into it, it's so much more than just a take on industrialism and folks fighting over jewelry.

I do hope you enjoy the Silmarillion! It's definitely got a lot to think about in its pages.

The Collected Stories

William Trevor - The Collected Stories

This has so many stories with such emotional weight. It's like experiencing life as dozens of different people. This is one I'll probably read until it falls apart.

Just finished Adult Autism Assessment Handbook: A Neurodiversity Affirmative Approach, by Davida Hartman, Tara O'Donnell-Killen, Jessica K. Doyle, Maeve Kavanagh, Anna Day, Juliana Azevedo. (I've listed all six authors because it's important to me that they are all women. Among the six are both neurotypical and neurodivergent folx, and they all work with Autistic clients in their non-writing careers.) I bought this book just days after it was published because I was feeling very disheartened over words like 'disabled' and 'neurotypical' and wanted to read something that made me feel that being neurodivergent is not being defective.

The authors wrote this handbook primarily for professionals who work with Autistic people, but I found much in it that affirmed my belief that I'm fairly awesome (albeit not without human foibles aplenty). Understanding more about why and how my brain works the way it does is fundamental to my sense of wellbeing. If I understand why I react strongly and with revulsion to certain smells and sensations, then I can ask for accomodations in ways that help others to also understand that I'm not just being a demanding, manipulative, judgemental b****, I'm actually not able to ignore those things and get on with what I'm supposed to be doing in the space we share.

I tried to listen to audiobook of American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, but I couldnt get past 30 minutes, due to ADHD, and what not. I got through maybe 2 hours of Dave Grohl The storyteller, before moving on to something else. I can never finish what I started.

The Ministry of the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson
Influence Is Your Superpower: How to get what you want without compromising who you are by Zoë Chance

Used to be a big reader but I hardly read anymore, have too much trouble focusing. There's one book I've been referring to regularly, Victor Frankl's Man's search for meaning

I've been curious to try that for awhile. What did you like about it?
What I like most about it is that the guy went through a horrific experience and converted it into constructive work, lessons learned, possible self-improvement. I'm very admirative of that and find that is a really strong survival example. It's like saying 'no matter what, I will find a way of calling the shots for myself'. So the book is kind of a lighthouse for me :)

What I like most about it is that the guy went through a horrific experience and converted it into constructive work, lessons learned, possible self-improvement. I'm very admirative of that and find that is a really strong survival example. It's like saying 'no matter what, I will find a way of calling the shots for myself'. So the book is kind of a lighthouse for me :)

Sold! It has been on my to-read list for awhile. That's a great description, and a value I share. Thanks!

New Threads

Top Bottom