• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

If only my mother's version of dementia was like Wendy's. Officially my mum's diagnosis is "mild cognitive impairment" but when her reaction to my telling her I have Covid-19 is "What's that illness? Never heard of it" or when she keeps saying that she wants to go home when she's at the place she's lived in for 30+ years ... If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Wendy is releasing her third and final book just now. Thought I’d pass on the information if you’re interested. I know that MCI isn’t dementia, but it can lead to it. :emojiconfused:

I have a list of books to get to, but right now I'm reading Kings of the Wyld. It takes place in a fantasy world with monsters and magic, but the story is about the most famous band of mercenaries in the world coming back together after 20 years for one last gig, all while dealing with the reality of getting old.

I also have the Mistborn Saga to look forward to, as well as The Wise Man's Fear, House of Dragons, and The Shadow of the Gods.

People have often commented that I often say that I’m busy and seemed stressed and the like when I’m making posts on here. So I figured I’d try and set aside more time to read the various fiction books I’ve been reading. I figured I’d make this thread in which we can share the things we’ve been reading in an effort to encourage me and others to read more, I‘ll make my first post this evening once I’ve finished doing the dishes.

This evening I read from Lovecraft Mythos: New & Classic Collection, I’m in the middle of a short story of a disappeared horror author, right now the protagonist is reading the last letters sent to him by the disappeared author; in them the author has learned that a deceased cult leader is buried and a Lovecraftian creature is burrowing towards his corpse. (According to the theology of this short story, souls can remain trapped in their corpses and other things and thus, this cult is in danger of having his soul tormented by the creature that is approaching him.)

Recently finished Thomas Hardy's first novel, Desperate Remedies (1871).

I've been staring at my books all week unsure what to read next.
I ordered Margaret Oliphant's Miss Marjoribanks but it'll take a few weeks to ship.

Nothing is calling my name right now and I haven't had much time to read.

Jón Kalman Stefánsson - "Ditt Fravær Er Mørke".
It means "Your Absence Is Darkness". Icelandic novel.

1667601632004.png

I just finished reading "Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes" by his personal assistant Rob Wilkins, as Terry never managed to finish it himself.

Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series, is quite simply the only "celebrity" I was sad to hear had died. He is my favourite author and his books mean a lot to me. I saw this book at the bookstore, and grabbed it without hesitating, and I'm really glad I did. This is genuinely a very well written book, and in a way, I think it's better that someone other than Terry wrote it.

When I got to the end, I started sobbing, and believe me, crying is not something I do on the regular. I cried once in January reading "Bestist Frend Jane" (it's an online short story. You should read it), and don't remember crying at all the previous two years. It was nice getting some release.

Jón Kalman Stefánsson - "Ditt Fravær Er Mørke".
It means "Your Absence Is Darkness". Icelandic novel.

View attachment 88254

He is quite well known in Iceland, and I saw a play based on a book of his once ("Heaven and Hell"/"Himnaríki og Helvíti"). I haven't heard about this one though.

Currently reading Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson (Book 3 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series). Liking this one the most so far in the series.

Also reading Tragedy and Triumph: The Journals of Captain R.F. Scott's Last Polar Expedition. Polar exploration, particulary the expeditions of Scott and Shakleton, is one of several of my history obsessions. I'm working on a concept album based on this particular expedition.

Right now, I'm reading the nonfiction book 'Periodic Tales'.

It's about the stories behind the elements and how connected they are to our daily lives!

It's very interesting so far but it's slow going in terms of me reading it!

Visual Thinking: The Hidden Gifts of People Who Think in Pictures, Patterns and Abstractions - By Temple Grandin

New Threads

Top Bottom