• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Wilderness Essays, by John Muir

B4418DCF-F446-41D3-8BDC-E515313DCA3D.jpeg

FB_IMG_1649111876940.jpg

FB_IMG_1648915062075.jpg
20220208_172330.jpg

I usually have between five and seven books in progress at any given time. I'm rereading Anne for the umpteenth time. Power of Introverts is new and Unmasking Autism I just got a couple days ago. The stack on my table, I finished yesterday.

20220426_154410.jpg

If you struggle with task initiation, organization, chores, and/or care tasks...this book is a truly human approach. (Think antithesis of Marie Kondo.)

As a neat freak myself this book made me feel positively virtuous. Written by a counselor, who is ADHD and deals with depression, it tackles chores and organization from a very real place.

The book is also designed for ND readers, kinda of like a choose your own adventure chore template.

Creating Christ: How Roman Emperors Invented Christianity by C. W. Fahy and James S. Valliant

I recently finished "Modern Man in Search for Meaning" (Viktor Frankl).

Now I'm reading several books which I pick up depending of my mood:

- Una Suerte Pequeña (Claudia Piñeiro)
- The Problem of Puer Aeternus (Marie-Louise von Franz)
- Sickness Unto Death (Kierkegaard)
- Lectures on the Philosophy of History (Hegel)

I find the latter two complement really well. Kierkegaard draws many concepts from Hegel, although he disagrees on fundamental points, due to his theological position. Hegel's Philosophy of History is extremely readable, which I did not expect given the author's reputation for writing highly obscure books (Phenomenology of Spirit is the prime example); I think it's an easier book, compared to his other work, because it's not an actual philosophy book but class notes for a course Hegel taught in Berlin (1820-1830). It was published after Hegel's death, using his own notes, and complemented with notes from the students.

The Problem of Puer Aeternus is also interesting, but I haven't advanced much with it. It's a depth-psychology exploration on people who have the mind of eternal adolescents, generally men. Puer Aeternus is latin for "eternal boy".

Una Suerte Pequeña is a decent little novel. It has its moments, but it's also a very femenine story. It's about a woman that comes back to her native country for work reasons after 20 years in exile, and there she must face her past - what she did two decades ago and made her leave everything, including her six-year-old, and seek a new life abroad.

The Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson

Second reading, if it's a good book it's always worth a second read.

Love this book and Wendy. Surprised someone on here has read it, too. :)
If only my mother's version of dementia was like Wendy's. Officially my mum's diagnosis is "mild cognitive impairment" but when her reaction to my telling her I have Covid-19 is "What's that illness? Never heard of it" or when she keeps saying that she wants to go home when she's at the place she's lived in for 30+ years ... If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

I'm currently reading Earthshot: How to save our planet by Colin Butfield and Jonnie Hughes. That's Earthshot as in the prizes launched by Prince William last year. Presumably he was unaware that there are already three initiatives with Earthshot in their names - Earthshot, Earthshot Labs and Earthshot Ventures - all based in California. Maybe his brother Harry could liaise with them?!

New Threads

Top Bottom