• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

curious if any1 else here deals with agoraphobia?

Agoraphobia was my first diagnosis along with panic disorder and depression, long before anyone considered autism. I still don't handle crowded spaces well but I take the train to work every day, usually without incident... If you expose yourself consistently if does start to feel somewhat safe eventually. During the periods of time I've been at home on sick leave I've always regressed quite quickly, though.
What helped me most in my younger years was having a dog, as he needed daily walks but also provided support and a sense of security on those walks.

I landed myself a nice case of it after dropping out of school. I was isolated at home for a few years and that was enough to really unfamiliarize myself with the few places I was at least sort of comfortable going to, so nothing remained. It's partially tied to the high sensitivity and overstimulation part of autism as that definitely makes it worse, but in my case the actual origin is built on layers of bad experiences.
I'm lucky to not have too many reasons or desires to go outside, but it's still a rotten time when I do. Makes things 10 times more exhausting if you spend the whole duration battling anxiety so you end up with little to no energy for any other activity for the day. Such a waste of effort sometimes if it's for little things like a walk around the block or a quick doctor check up. Doesn't exactly help with wanting to do it when you know you'll likely be too tired for the rest of the day after.
So nowadays I only really go out for things I truly care about. Like travel or important health and legal reasons. Things that are worth losing a few days for.

On a more positive note, familiarization is possible and helps a lot in reducing the amount of fear and stress. A powerful element to bring along is another person that can take the lead for situations, acting as a buffer between you and the unpredictable. If there's a routine and it's the same place you always go and to do the same things, it gets easier too (provided nothing about it is too unpleasant, be it the people or activities there).
I also often try to position myself in less fully open spaces, like corners and walls and whatnot. Closing doors, curtains or blinds to isolate a space from the rest is of course very effective too.
God I relate to this so hard... I work from home, and I feel like my mind is just rotting from boredom and understimulation... It doesn't help that I absolutely loathe the general public...

autism is usually comorbid, which means yes it can be related to autism like any mental disorder. i wouldn't say i have the condition of Agoraphobia but i do have an intense fear of certain things happening in public from creepy dreams... so i avoid certain places like the mall. i refuse to walk around in a mall for more than an hour. preferably in and out in 5 minutes

Hopefully I'm not too late to respond to this.

I was diagnosed with this several years ago and while there was initial shock, I did eventually feel better knowing I had an answer to why I fear the outside world so much.

I also always have to be facing a door if I'm sitting, to give me security about an escape route if I ever need it.

New Threads

Top Bottom