• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cool, nerdy youtube videos

Slime_Punk

 Please erase
V.I.P Member
So I have this ironic tradition where I psyche myself up for working out by finding the most useless (or conversely very useful) nerdy videos on youtube (about 30 minutes in length or longer, give or take) and fire when ready.

Today I had the idea of branching out and seeing if anyone else wants to play (exercise is optional, but I highly recommend pairing the two if you're able!). It passes the time, I could always use recommendations, and I love sucking other people into healthy habits so... why not?

Sam's Trains is a whole YouTube channel dedicated to reviewing OO and HO gauge model trains, usually British prototypes. It's pretty cool actually; I don't have any OO gauge trains (or any trains really) but it's still cool.

History in the Dark is a channel with lots and lots about obscure things like disasters. Again, heavy focus on train content--including a bunch of stuff about trains ending up underwater. This is quite neat. It did surprise me just how many trains end up sinking, though.

I have to admit, I've spent hours watching Pilentum Television model railroading videos, particularly those that provide a camera view directly from the front of an engine, traversing some of the most elaborate and large scale layouts I've ever seen. For some reason they're very calming to me. :cool:

Last edited:
As a huge fan of pinball, I found this one very interesting:

Not that I ever get to use a REAL pinball machine myself... but I can appreciate the digital recreations that much more regardless. It's amazing what goes into these things.

Also, this channel:

Just the entire channel on that one. There's another similar channel too, which I think is called "old things never die".

And then here's this:

I actually have fountain pens myself, and I tell ya, THAT is a wild rabbit hole. There are entire channels out there that are just about reviewing pens and such. These things are complicated. I had to watch tutorials just to understand how to refill mine without either breaking something or making an explosive mess.

@Misery fountain pens are life. I didn't know you liked them but that's absolutely the best kind of pen to have (at least I think so.) My favorite new ones are by F.P.R., and my favorite old ones are usually Sheaffer.

@Misery fountain pens are life. I didn't know you liked them but that's absolutely the best kind of pen to have (at least I think so.) My favorite new ones are by F.P.R., and my favorite old ones are usually Sheaffer.
I went through most of my public school years using fountain pens. Just liked the feel of the ink sliding along lined paper. A different sensation compared to dirt-common ballpoint pens.

Ended up teaching myself sufficient cursive with them in high school, because the Catholic-homeschool "simplified Zaner Bloser method" looked really ugly. Then I started learning the Palmer Method. I now have a fairly legible long-hand between chicken scratch & decency.

They're still pretty new to me. What I have for them is currently quite limited. This is everything related to them:

CtumOXu.jpg

So, just the two pens currently. Names/brands I've no idea, generally I'm not good at remembering names for pretty much anything. IRL I tend to fall into "Buffy speak" a lot as a result, even with topics I'm familiar with.

I havent had to use the cleaning stuff yet. I'm not too clear on what the blue bubbly whatsit in the top right is for. Currently one of the pens is full of the deep purple ink, and the other is full of the funky green sparkly stuff. I do at least know how to refill these properly. Interesting that the process is different for each.

Overall, when it comes to art, my specialty is lettering of all sorts, so that's the main use for these. Actual handwriting... not so much. Nobody can read the disaster that is my handwriting, and I cant read it either.

Odd how that works, really, since my actual lettering is very carefully done, yet my handwriting looks like a drunken spider fell into some ink and wandered across some paper.

These things are nice since I dont have to press hard against the paper to use them. A nice contrast to my brush pens (the primary thing I use) which are entirely about pressing down. Another thing that is nice is that these can easily write on the marker paper (which I use since brush pens are easily damaged, you dont want to use those on sketch paper for instance), wheras typical pens/pencils are kinda funky on marker-specific paper.

I will say though these are one of those types of tools where I get paranoid when dealing with them, specifically the refill process. The weird looking one with the star is decently simple to fill, the green one must be entirely dismantled, and then I gotta be careful not to knock the ink bottles over or something like that. Though what really bugs me is those syringes. Not a fan of needles. Yeah, they definitely arent medical needles, but the mental image is still there. I will learn to use all of these things properly as I go though. Fortunately I found many great tutorials on all of this out there.

If this ends up anything like my other art tools, I'll eventually have a large collection of these. Though it's likely to still pale in comparison to the silly amounts of markers and paintbrushes I've got.

If you are interested in preserving and rekindling traditional frontier skills, then you should check out the Townsends channel.

So I have this ironic tradition where I psyche myself up for working out by finding the most useless (or conversely very useful) nerdy videos on youtube (about 30 minutes in length or longer, give or take) and fire when ready.

Today I had the idea of branching out and seeing if anyone else wants to play (exercise is optional, but I highly recommend pairing the two if you're able!). It passes the time, I could always use recommendations, and I love sucking other people into healthy habits so... why not?

Seems fun. I've sorta done this in the form of video essays, this is a good example :)

New Threads

Top Bottom