• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Constant thirst?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
I may have posted this before. I remember posting it on Wrong Planet but may or may not have posted it here. Anyway, when I was very young, I was ALWAYS thirsty. I could drink until my stomach felt like it was going to explode and was STILL thirsty. I never could focus on my schoolwork because I was too thirsty to pay attention. When I asked the teacher if I could use the water fountain, she always said no.

If I brought a water bottle, I wasn't allowed to refill it. If I got TOO thirsty, I think I would just get up, leave the classroom and use the water fountain even if I didn't have a teacher's permission. Even when there was a water fountain in the classroom. I just got up and used it anyway and the teacher got very angry because none of the other students could get up and use it. Yes they could, she hadn't tied them to their desks yet. (This particular teacher was eventually fired for tying kids to their desks). They KNEW they weren't allowed to touch me and knew that if they did, it would be like trying to handle a great-white shark. But I think I did loose recess a few times for getting up to get a drink. I had a few teachers who even downright mocked me and would wave their water bottles in my face.

So naturally, I had to use the bathroom more often than other students. Sometimes right after I just went. My teachers didn't believe me when I told them I had to go because I went so much. I had frequent UTI's and was always the kid who wet their pants. I had at least umpteen tests for diabetes but they always came back negative. I didn't stop wetting the bed until I was fourteen and sometimes questioned wearing my night diapers to school but I would never hear the end of it if another kid found out.

It was as if I had prader willi but instead of being hungry all the time, I could never feel "un-thirsty". I was pulled out of public school and home-schooled since the fifth grade and never had to ask to use the bathroom and could drink water to my heart's content. But due to my experiences of being deprived a basic human right, I always carry a water bottle with me and if I can't get to it in time, I will have a panic attack. Anyhow, is chronic thirst an autistic thing?

I don't know, but I'll be interested to hear other's opinions!
Sort of related note, I usually have a least two drinks at a time, a hot drink and a cold one.:)

Water addiction is better than cola addiction...I have hairloss, ED and a few other things from cola addiction xD...dont worry too much lol there are worse things than yours

I may have posted this before. I remember posting it on Wrong Planet but may or may not have posted it here. Anyway, when I was very young, I was ALWAYS thirsty. I could drink until my stomach felt like it was going to explode and was STILL thirsty. I never could focus on my schoolwork because I was too thirsty to pay attention. When I asked the teacher if I could use the water fountain, she always said no.

If I brought a water bottle, I wasn't allowed to refill it. If I got TOO thirsty, I think I would just get up, leave the classroom and use the water fountain even if I didn't have a teacher's permission. Even when there was a water fountain in the classroom. I just got up and used it anyway and the teacher got very angry because none of the other students could get up and use it. Yes they could, she hadn't tied them to their desks yet. (This particular teacher was eventually fired for tying kids to their desks). They KNEW they weren't allowed to touch me and knew that if they did, it would be like trying to handle a great-white shark. But I think I did loose recess a few times for getting up to get a drink. I had a few teachers who even downright mocked me and would wave their water bottles in my face.

So naturally, I had to use the bathroom more often than other students. Sometimes right after I just went. My teachers didn't believe me when I told them I had to go because I went so much. I had frequent UTI's and was always the kid who wet their pants. I had at least umpteen tests for diabetes but they always came back negative. I didn't stop wetting the bed until I was fourteen and sometimes questioned wearing my night diapers to school but I would never hear the end of it if another kid found out.

It was as if I had prader willi but instead of being hungry all the time, I could never feel "un-thirsty". I was pulled out of public school and home-schooled since the fifth grade and never had to ask to use the bathroom and could drink water to my heart's content. But due to my experiences of being deprived a basic human right, I always carry a water bottle with me and if I can't get to it in time, I will have a panic attack. Anyhow, is chronic thirst an autistic thing?

I carry a water bottle at all times. If I don't have it, it's all I can focus on, and I'll feel even more thirsty. The fact that a teacher would mock a student for such a thing is beyond disgusting. Were the teachers so stupid that they could not tell that something more was going on? I'm not sure why we do this, I never really put much thought into it because there was always other stuff going on at the same time.

Chronic thirst is a health situation.
I don't know that it is associated with autism.

Besides diabetes (various kinds) there are several reasons
a person might experience chronic thirst.
Anxiety, xerostomia aka "dry mouth," which is a
glandular condition. low blood pressure, type of food
eaten and anemia are among some of the causes.
7 Reasons You're Always Thirsty
Thirst: Check Your Symptoms and Signs

Snake bite features as one of the less likely reasons.
Excessive thirst: Causes, Symptoms and Diagnosis

Allergies may be a contributing factor.
Dehydration & Your Allergies • Joyous Health
Can Allergies Cause Dry Mouth? | Colgate® Oral Care

The only problem is you can become ill if you drink too much water in a short period of time you will start to lack vitamins and minerals which are normally lost through urinating specifically vitamin b and vitamin c

According to Wikipedia psychogenic polydipsia is included as a co-morbidity in the developmentally disabled And schizophrenics ,so you have to be careful! because you're serum sodium level could become so low !,that you could experience Seizures or cardiac arrest.

The fact that a teacher would mock a student for such a thing is beyond disgusting. Were the teachers so stupid that they could not tell that something more was going on?

Possibly. My third grade teacher was some kind of psychopath who enjoyed torturing me. My mom didn't believe me and said it was my fault she hated me so much or that I was just "misinterpreting". To everyone else she was the "fun" teacher, but she bullied me in subtle ways that the other kids could pick up on the fact she didn't like me. I caught on by the next year and wasn't going to let ANY teacher pick on me. They wanted to send me to a school for emotionally disturbed kids but my mom fought it and just ended up homeschooling me.

Teachers abusing special ed children was nothing new at this school. My second grade teacher would tie kids to their desks and one teacher got fired and arrested for sexual interaction with a special ed student.

Be sure to get it checked out. Dr. Wing's daughter, Susie, died of water intoxication for similar reasons.

Be sure to get it checked out. Dr. Wing's daughter, Susie, died of water intoxication for similar reasons.

I think I'd rather die of water intoxication before being put in some kind of home like the do for people with Prader Willi syndrome and literally be counting down the hours before I was allowed to have another drink and only been allowed so much water per day.

I think I'd rather die of water intoxication before being put in some kind of home... and literally be counting down the hours before I was allowed to have another drink and being dictated to about how much I could have to drink.
If water, alone, isn't satisfying your thirst, shouldn't you look into what will...?

@SchrodingersMeerkat

Lorna Wing popularized the term Asperger's syndrome, and was
involved in founding the National Autistic Society in the UK.
Lorna Wing - Wikipedia

I use water with peppermint oil in it when I am away from home.
Also I keep a bottle of water with peppermint oil in it at my
bedside. It only takes a little bit of it to make me not thirsty.

In the 1800s people quenched their thirst with water flavored
with vinegar. This was before lemons were imported and readily
available.

Today I read about using black pepper, a teaspoon in a quart of
water. I have not tried that.

Nothing comes to mind out than stimming for the drinking and sugar. That and maybe you were losing muscle control from being over sensitive in that area. A crude guess.

I am not always thirsty. I like water, and don't understand people who say they don't like the taste of it though.

Yes it's important to eliminate all possible illnesses and physical causes first, I see that you've already had umpteen tests for diabetes so you've probably done all this, but here is an article that covers it just in case there is something you've missed, please click here. Also people often believe they're thirsty due to a dry mouth which is actually different, please click here for more information, this can be caused by various things including certain medication.

Regarding your thirst possibly being related to autism, well I've never heard of this as a specific aspie trait and if the feeling of thirst is real, or you actually truly have a dry mouth that makes you feel like you're thirsty then there's probably more to it than aspies, although being an aspie could make you obsess over any condition considerably more and be more conscious of it.

I am not a medical expert however and if this is still causing you an issue I would if possible discuss it further with your doctor, if everything has already been exhausted with your existing doctor then I would seek a 2nd opinion until the issue is understood and if necessary treated.

Best of luck! :)

Chronic thirst can be an indication of diabetes. If this is a persistent condition, please seek medical advice as soon as possible. I had chronic thirst, ignored it, and it lead to me being admitted to the hospital with a blood sugar so high that I should have been comatose. I spent 4 days in the hospital while the doctors slowly reduced my blood sugar into the 200s before they would release me. The doctors explained that a rapid reduction in blood sugar could've resulted in heart attack. Now, since I am morbidly obese, a Type 2 diabetic, and hypertensive I am going to undergo bariatric surgery as a life saver.

New Threads

Top Bottom