• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Computer problem. Can anyone help?

blue_bird

V.I.P Member
Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this. After a lightning storm the other day, my computer can't seem to connect to the internet. The modem is working fine as is the wi-fi, which I'm using to make this post on a mobile device. My computer however cannot connect to the server and it says my ethernet cable isn't plugged in, when it is. I changed ethernet cables, but the problem is still persisting. Someone told me the lightning could have blown my motherboard. Is it possible for it to just be the ethernet port that is broken, since I can't afford a new motherboard now. Also, apart from the internet the computer is working just fine.

If the computer boots up, your motherboard is okay, they don't boot when the motherboard is fried. My guess is that your Ethernet card got fired. You can replace it if you feel you must use a cable or, you can buy an external Wi Fi adapter that plugs into a USB port to connect to your router, neither is very expensive but, the later may be easier for you if you are not comfortable replacing the Ethernet card or, don't know someone who can do it for you.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a wi-fi adapter but since I "upgraded" to Windows 10 it doesn't work on the computer. So I guess I either buy another adapter or fix the ethernet port. I'll have to take it to a company who can fix it, so it will cost me. I just hope not too much though.

I'm just glad it looks like the motherboard is okay.

They don't need to buy a WiFi adapter. If they had WiFi, updated to windows 10 and it stopped, it's that the driver only works with the previous version of windows. Go to the manufacturer's website if it's a pre built computer (as in one you buy that's ready to go). If you built your own computer then you need to check with where you bought the WiFi adapter in the first place. If the update to windows 10 was what caused it not to work there is nothing wrong with it. You do not need a new one. Ethernet sounds like it could be broken, but WiFi isn't. So for example I've got a Dell. I go to the Dell website, go to their drivers, enter my service tag and then it'll come up with the drivers.

Assuming the power surge didn't damage the card and that's why it isn't working properly. I simply suggested an option if that is the case.

Wireless and Ethernet are different. The Ethernet is what stopped working in the lightning, the wireless is what stopped working when upgrading the windows 10. So it's possible to get the WiFi back with a driver update. It won't fix the ethernet, but at least they'll have internet.

It sounds more likely that the lightning strike may have simply corrupted the network adapter driver/controller software.

Have you checked your device manager to verify the status of your network adapter, and to identify who the manufacturer is...such as Intel, etc. ? At that point you can determine whether to reinstall the driver or download the latest Windows 10 one from an appropriate source depending on who the manufacturer may be.

Example source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/41282/Intel-82599ES-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for your input. Thanks Beverly for the link. unsurewhattoname I think you're right I need to update the driver for it to work with windows 10, but I can't do that without internet, right?

Judge how exactly do I verify the status of my network adapter?

Thanks again everyone for your input. Thanks Beverly for the link. unsurewhattoname I think you're right I need to update the driver for it to work with windows 10, but I can't do that without internet, right?

Judge how exactly do I verify the status of my network adapter?

You'll need to locate your "Device Manager" in Windows 10. Not sure of how to get there as I don't use that version of Windows.

But if you can find it, you click the link and it will display a "tree" of all your hardware functions. You click "network adapters" and then the respective controller relative to your Ethernet port. At that point you'll have a window with a bunch of tabs to click. In the "general" tab it should note whether or not the device in question is functioning properly. Another tab named "Driver" will provide all the prompts regarding deleting or replacing the driver for your network adapter.

Do you have a desktop or laptop? On a laptop, the Ethernet jack is usually soldered onto the motherboard, but sometimes, it's on a separate PC board. In a desktop, depending on the model, you may be able to obtain an Ethernet PCIe card, and plug it into the motherboard.

Thank you everyone for your replies and help. It seems the problem is fixed. I phoned my ISP and they did something and it worked, but only after I re-restarted my computer. But then strangely my computer's sound went away, but came back after another restart. I just hope there's nothing wrong with my motherboard. If I still have problems, I'll let you know. Thanks again for all your help. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom