• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complex whole body movements? And would this fit that category?

Athelstan

I've been reading about ASD/AS since my medical doctor mentioned the possibility. I keep coming across a symptom/characterstic under the name "complex whole body movements". What is this, and would you consider this as part of that? At first I was thinking, no, absolutely not; I don't have have anything like that, but then it dawned on me as I was doing it, as I've never thought anything of it:

In another thread I mentioned the fact that I move my eyebrows up and down, side to side throughout my day, making me appear to have a tick. I'm not sure I'd like to really call it a tick, or even Tourette's. As I'm not sure, I don't want to offend or take away from anyone with real Tourette's. I also mentioned my clicking and whistling noises I make in my throat. When I do this, and it is hard to explain, I find myself moving my eyebrows, ears, butt cheeks, and big toes in a ryrhym to the exact tune of my clicking noises. Imagine "the wave" at a sporting event. I move the left eyebrow, ear, butt cheek, and big toe at the same time and it gracefully works it's way to the right side. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is this what is meant?

Ummm wow and my leg muscles. I have never noticed. This is disturbing to me. Ugh I wonder if I do this in front of people?!

I have also just realized that sometimes my pectoral muscles play along. I thought it was OK with AS but I'm quickly becoming overwhelmed.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the phrase, but for some reason I feel like it applies to me. I feel like I make odd physical movements, or at least exaggerated ones, to relieve tension/pour myself into something to distract myself from feeling awkward/out of place.

Tensing/flexing various muscles is probably one of my stims, sometimes in a series from one end to the other or in varying patterns, but I honestly don't know if it would fall into the "complex whole body movements". What does that even mean? An Aspie breaks out in the Foxtrot or starts line dancing when they get happy or stressed?? I've read the term a few times, but never found a definitive description to go along with it.

New Threads

Top Bottom