• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complete science fiction

I feel the same way, but sometime like it nontheless. A favorite anime of mine that explores the red string of fate is Your Name, Kimi no Na wa.

Years ago I watched a stand-up comedian discuss romance in relationships. He was making the case that if a woman described all the romantic traits that they desired in the "man of their dreams",...they would be describing another woman.:)

Mindy Kaling, “I simply regard romantic comedies as a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world created therein has different rules than my regular human world.”

As @Progster avers, romance movies and TV series are indeed escapist fantasy, but the best of them have observations of life buried in them. I would point out that the "Lord of the Rings" is at its core a Romance in all its forms. You may hate it for other reasons, but it is rife with elements of high romance if you have eyes to see.

The Asians are more open about the fantasy at the heart of all romance in their films and literature. Real or imagined, many of us yearn for the kind of connection that is at the heart of all romance. I am addicted to rom-coms, as silly and unrealistic as they are because it makes me feel good to dwell in the fantasy for a while.

Not particularly compelling arguments for romances, but it is my honest opinion.

As @Progster avers, romance movies and TV series are indeed escapist fantasy, but the best of them have observations of life buried in them. I would point out that the "Lord of the Rings" is at its core a Romance in all its forms. You may hate it for other reasons, but it is rife with elements of high romance if you have eyes to see.

The Asians are more open about the fantasy at the heart of all romance in their films and literature. Real or imagined, many of us yearn for the kind of connection that is at the heart of all romance. I am addicted to rom-coms, as silly and unrealistic as they are because it makes me feel good to dwell in the fantasy for a while.

Not particularly compelling arguments for romances, but it is my honest opinion.

I like rom-coms, too. It is escapism with a happy ending. I don't like violent films except I do love Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

I don't think I care enough to reply. Oops I have. Aren't they more like Romance fiction than science fiction? That's, nothing like real romance? But they are escapist easy watching, and I reserve the right to do so.

Unfunny joke deconstruction: The emphasis in the term scifi is on the science not the fiction as scifi is a subset of fiction of which romance is already a part.

There was a picture with your post originally, with a guy with that line written on a poster and sitting at a table at some park or similar. I got the feeling he was using it as a pick up line to find romance. Which would be ironic.

;)

Unfunny joke deconstruction: The emphasis in the term scifi is on the science not the fiction as scifi is a subset of fiction of which romance is already a part.
Now, this I get. How can the emphasis on scifi be on the 'science' and not on the 'fiction'? The term 'science fiction' is a noun, but as science is descriptive of fiction--meaning, it modifies the type of fiction we're talking about--the word science here although a noun by definition is being used as an adjective. Therefore, the phrase science fiction is in actuality an adjectival phrase. Romance is similarly a subset of fiction, therefore science fiction and romance are parallel genres under the umbrella of fiction in general, although subplots and devices used in the stories themselves may borrow to one degree or another from other genres. That a story is plugged into one genre or another has much to do not only with character arc and plot but how the story is played out--who's introduced when, what plot points are followed, where are the beats and what is the quality of the pacing? Take Jupiter Rising, for instance. Romantic comedy? No--science fiction because of the pacing and absurd events, even though there is a romantic subplot to the story. Take Leap Year. Beyond the speculative idea that the poor heroine's misfortunes are so cumulative, there really is no science here to consider. (Romantic comedy's not my strong suit. I'm all out of titles.)

Romantic movies should be considered science fiction because
nothing that happens in them is real. Change my mind.
These are not facts. I have seen real situations in my life, in many films and television shows. Relationships in them are not realistic but many of the moments are.

I thought a trope was nonsense, the person proposing and suddenly being speechless but although I had prepared for months and hours that day, even steadying myself for a few minutes before I proposed, when I went to my love to give her the engagement ring, I could not speak, I could not even remember anything I had just thought of a minute earlier. I just stood in front of her silent until she became afraid and asked me if I was breaking up with her.

Instead I went down on one knee and opened the ring box and I still do not remember what I said or when I was able to speak again. It was the most frightened I had ever been.

So many other things, none as powerful in that way but very true. Loving someone but also in that moment being so irritated you can't stand them. Funny moments in bed that really happen. Looking across at your partner and seeing them tired, looking old and worn out. Not pretty and fresh like when you met and in the moment, loving them even more.

The bad stuff I think is accurate too, so many thoughts, feeling and comments. Misunderstandings. I see a lot of real life shown in these movies and shows. Also a lot of wisdom.

A lot of entertainment nonsense too though. There is a film called, After the Credits. I am so glad they made it. In so many films two people move towards a moment when they suddenly decide to live the rest of their lives together, in love. They run off and the film end, the credits. But that is nonsense, what about the practical?

In, After the Credits that is exactly what happens. A woman at the airport, about to board her flight, a man racing in a taxi, the into the airport, desperate to catch her. He does and both excited and eyes filled with love, she decides to stay and he to be with her forever. There is a pause then reality comes in. Where is she going to live? With him. That's awkward, they hadn't planned that. What about her having a job? Her luggage? He can't pay for a taxi now because in a wonderful passionate moment of abandon her simply left his wallet with the taxi driver who drove him, just to save seconds while he chased her, trying to get there before she flew off. So what to they do for money? She feels awkward paying for the cab, is he going to pay her back? The humor at this point is terrific and shows that movies can be nonsense, in real life you can't live on romance alone.

But the passion and the little moments the break your heart or make you happier than you thought you could ever be, those are shown in fiction, I see it so much.

There is a film, Altered States. It is science fiction and maybe even some horror, I do not know. To me I only ever saw the romance. A woman so in love with a man that years after they break up she cries shaking and looking off into space while she tells someone else, "There is no one else, no matter what I am doing with whoever I am with, I have to pretend it's him or nothing happens. I am possessed by him."

I was too young when I saw it to understand. Years later I understood perfectly. My ex and I are no longer together but two weeks after we met, half my heart left and went to be with her. I will never get it back.

New Threads

Top Bottom