• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Commensurate Employment

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
There are organization(s) out there now, at least in the US, attempting to offer people on the spectrum with commensurate (full time) employment. You usually need at least a Bachelors degree to be able to compete. Some communication and independence will help you too.

I'm in a position where I'm collecting resumes for such positions, but I will not do so through here. Only in-person. I wish more people would take me seriously in-person. It's ironic. They either have social issues, or are scared of the change or they don't trust either me or the process. Some people just want to know more about the process and aren't even officially diagnosed.

It feels frustrating to be in such a position where I don't fit in with most people on the spectrum nor in the real world. At least I'm getting by for now. . . .

You might need to elaborate a little more. Are these organizations active only in your area? Is there an address that folks can email or mail to? Taking apps only in person limits things quite a bit. Are these orgs. businesses or advocacy groups? Is there a specific field these jobs are centered in?

It's a bit complicated, but I can explain here because people can read at their leisure. I don't put it out all at once because the amount of information has actually scared a number of people even though I consider it comprehensible personally. Of course, this could also indicate their readiness to transition into a full time job too unfortunately.

One of the organizations is active across the US. Even though they started with technology jobs, they keep adding other fields if they can network with those organizations. As part of their casual interview process, they have 1 round which is 4 weeks long. This 4 week session is normally unpaid and during the week. So if a viable candidate already has a full time job where they cannot take off 4 weeks, this option would not even be feasible for them unfortunately.

Another small set of organizations (based locally, but with international reach) which works with a job coaching organization are more locally based near me. They are planning to look for candidates nationally based on location(s) they choose internally. I support and receive support from one of those internal organizations.

If selected, you would need to be able to provide documentation of your diagnosis.
There is no specific time of when they look for people. The need just comes when the companies are ready to add more people basically.

If you want an e-mail address, PM me for one.
Applications are not (normally) done in-person. It is all completed and sent online once you submit your resume.

Sorry I mentioned that applications would have to be in-person.

If you happen to be in my area and want to meet in-person in a public place, you can PM me that too.

No matter what your major was for either program, as long as you have a Bachelors and an interest in learning the job, you will be strongly considered.

I'm sorry I cannot be more explicit than that on here.

I also understand why someone would question a message like this, which is why I suggest that in-person in a public place is a good idea if you happen to be in my area.

New Threads

Top Bottom