• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumsiness

Kind of. Balance and proprioception are reasonably good. Riding a horse bareback was fine- we zoomed all over the heavily-mined low mountain range. I mean 'mined' as a place where ore is removed, not the explosion type.....
But slower than others. An NT can tie four shoes in the time it takes me to do one shoe. In typing class my NT friend ended up at 200wpm, whereas I was stuck at 50.
I often have a few wounds on me at any time, can't remember what half of them were caused by!

I have always been clumsy since being a child (according to my mum) and still am to this day. I sometimes have trouble with my left and right. I was no good at sports and have little interest in them to this day. I have also noticed my son is clumsy and uncoordinated sometimes too. He is diagnosed ASD also.

Is this an autism trait or could it be something else? Someone suggested dyspraxia but I haven't been assessed for that. I don't want to be a person who ends up labelling themselves with this and that but I am curious to know.

Has anyone else experienced clumsiness too?
"Clumsiness" is a common attribute of autistic folks. Very often there are deficits in eye-can coordination, proprioception, dexterity, and agility. It is by no means a universal trait, just one that is fairly common.

Honestly we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I personally am extremely coordinated, buuuuuuuuuuuut, I cant do the number thing. You know, you mash numbers together... what do they call it? "Math"? Yeah, that.

No seriously, I cant. At all.

If someone were to come up and ask me something that requires mathing numbers together, I'll probably say something like "hold that thought, quick bathroom break" and then walk into the bathroom and close the door so that nobody can see me needing to count on my fingers to figure it out.

And then I come back and answer and it turns out I get it wrong anyway.

I'm not exaggerating either. I really do that, and I really DONT let anyone see me do it. This is the first time I've ever mentioned it to anyone. It's embarassing.

And that's with super basic stuff, like simple adding and subtracting. Ask me to divide something and you'll just get a blank stare as I mentally crash.

My point is: we all have different things we're good or bad at. And there's little point in comparing yourself to others or thinking that you're not worth something because you cant do something they can. There's probably something you CAN do that they cant do as well, even if you're not aware of it.
Well aware of, in fact part of what makes us as well as everyone so amazing and diverse, and even inclusive of diversity being so similar to sometimes an extenuating nomadic and stereotypical degree.

I still find it helpful, not per say in comparing ourselves to one another but rather being able to experience another’s experience the way they perceive it, not how terminology describes it to.. that’s been a larger part of my issue in diagnosing myself let alone anyone else because everything I experience I denote as being otherwise normal because it -is- my normal and all I’ve ever known to be.

The only times it comes into question is when I can accurately relate to some symptom or reasoning while having it professed to be outside of normal practice, or when I recognize something in someone else.. there’s still many things I’m probably unaware of and looking back, I can see various points that I was in fact arrogant and ablistic of others, presuming they could do what I do and hear what I hear without ever questioning because I believed everyone could.

Thereby just as hypocritical of others, of the same ones I pound my head against a wall trying to explain that I can’t tackle many executive functions and daily routines as well as others can fairly often, sometimes not able to at all altogether.

I enjoy hearing others testimony and account of their lives, hinderances and difficulties just as much as how they may have overcome them or be better acquainted to managing them now..

I can get stuck for hours staring at the other side of the fence wondering the reasons why that lawn make look the same as mine when I know I go through various specific things to help mine grow in the same while never seeing the same practices of it.. but even right alongside someone, the experience still varies between the two. I like to know the variance.

Not being existential, or looking back at alternative paths and options had, I just enjoy expanding my outlook to incorporate the things outside my view, the things I don’t think of, entertain or account for unless given reason to.. just helps me better make sense of the confusion in my life going forward, as recently I am quoted as saying “.. it’s like my world has been entirely turned upside down but is still more right-side up than it’s ever been, if that makes any sense..” upon finally connecting several dots and understanding myself a bit better.

It’s essentially what sparked the advance of requesting a diagnosis because most of my life I’ve been pressured to feel normal, it’s been implied that my mother is a narcissist, that’s I’m incapable of anything, that I won’t live past my teens.. a literal plethora more and well.. I know I was gullible when I was a child, I thought through learning, studying and the pursuit of knowledge that I had risen above being so.. but because of not recognizing things and truly listening to myself it would seem I’ve been gullible me entire life, short of the things I believe I know.

Now I’m going back and questioning majority of what was had from newly informed perspectives and though so many dots and connections have already been found and have made so many things make actual sense now as opposed to being odd or out of place as it had appeared at the time..
..but even just a week of being here reading through others admissions of whatever they are discussing and relating to at the time has helped recognize so many other things and brought so much more comfort and ease in a bit of an unstable time for me.

No, I don’t think comparison is good.. but I want to hear just the same, it’s sometimes been others perception of things that has taken my world from a tangled mess into a peaceful symphony, without ever speaking a word to me. Understanding and learning is something I’m always driven to.. but what’s not shown, expressed or said cannot be learned as easily without some recognition to and this site is disabling to try to navigate more than what’s been of recent discussion.

Searching here I’ve found is fairly complex to get any result and I’m constantly questioning posting anything I want to ask or inquire about because I can’t yet see whether it’s already been addressed in the same manner already.

And to add.. I can’t math numbers in my head.. I can use a calculator, can work it out on paper, both a bit slower as well as quicker than the -average- person, and yes do use my hands often, and this is coming from someone who uses math almost all day long, calculating radius and diameter, angles of inclination, scaling sizes down or up proportionately, tallying materials, other costs, appropriate timeline, etc etc..

But I have trouble remembering formula’s and have to have certain ones written down to avoid having to re-learn continually, same as electrical voltage, resistances and other aspects of circuitry, just can’t even seem to remember the knowledge learned and have to do a quick refresher and brush up my knowledge every time it’s needed yet used to design circuits and other electronics with ease in my youth.

My point is, I still can’t always define what it is about me or my daughter that is autistic aside from problems and discrepancies that arise, to us we are both absolutely normal yet definitely not average it would seem. Seeing these comparisons outside of my own viewpoint has helped me cater better to our challenges, and even recognize a few things that could be attributing to.. and even my wife hearing some others views that I’ve mentioned has helped her understand better.

The community is a huge help, even if just talking to one another. You are right, comparing to another is never helpful as we are simply nowhere near the same as each other even though we still somewhat are or are more than others.. but I still want to keep seeing and reading all these relatable excerpts from the lives of all these wondrous people here.

Last edited:
Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

Great choices. When I was 15-16 I was obsessed with Hendrix. I can't play guitar I just loved his music. Had a breakdown of sorts at 17 and couldn't listen to him anymore.

Jimmy Hendrix was certainly a talented artist to behold.. I could never play guitar as well as majority of friends at the time but did enjoy for a large period of time, even with hands that hurt to try to articulate with such response and coninuity.. I would say Stevie Ray Vaughn for me, though I could only ever get to playing 80’s rock and roll and 90’s alternative, never got the chance to see artists like Fats Domino, Jimmy Hendrix or others but did get to experience a Jeff Heeley concert.. kind of ended my guitarist aspirations but was a night to behold.

Curious though with no obligation to answer of you, what beseeched your reverence and appreciation of Hendrix?
@Crossbreed: (@Jeepcarpenter, please use paragraphs...)
My apologies for the lack of, I have been formatting my responses to differentiate paragraphs, though both have trouble with punctuation and ending sentences as well as the site not applying the message in the same format. I will add more spaces between and try to be more aware of running sentences to help form better separations for ease of reading. Thank you for bringing it up and reminding me.

Last edited:
This is actually super weird and complicated for me, because I'm very athletic, I've always been pretty good at sports and exercising, yet I find myself being really clumsy around the house. I have to replace the screen protector on my phone a lot because of how often I drop my phone lol. In my own house!

A few people have suggested to me that I might have a problem with depth perception. But I'm not sure about that because I can drive a car just fine and I think I have above-average ability with some sports. I also hike a lot and I'm not clumsy while doing that. I can manage walking multiple dogs on leashes at the same time.

But... I did break my hand at the gym, lifting weights. I dropped a 25 pound weight on my hand. I have also had some concussions, mostly from household accidents, not sports. I fractured my foot falling out of bed when I was in high school, and as an adult I fell on my ass and broke my tailbone and part of my back.
I'm not joking... It probably sounds like I'm trying to be funny but I'm not. I'm actually really embarrassed about some of these things!

For anyone who does have issues with depth perception, what can be done about it? Would wearing glasses help? I'm not entirely sure it's a depth perception issue but after reading back what I just wrote, it kind of sounds like that's what it is. These injuries were almost all a result of falling or dropping something.

But, I will note that I have a medical condition (developed in adulthood) that causes me to fall sometimes. It actually really scares me that I've been dropping stuff because with the disease I have that can sometimes be a really bad sign :(

Jimmy Hendrix was certainly a talented artist to behold.. I could never play guitar as well as majority of friends at the time but did enjoy for a large period of time, even with hands that hurt to try to articulate with such response and coninuity.. I would say Stevie Ray Vaughn for me, though I could only ever get to playing 80’s rock and roll and 90’s alternative, never got the chance to see artists like Fats Domino, Jimmy Hendrix or others but did get to experience a Jeff Heeley concert.. kind of ended my guitarist aspirations but was a night to behold.

Curious though with no obligation to answer of you, what beseeched your reverence and appreciation of Hendrix?

My apologies for the lack of, I have been formatting my responses to differentiate paragraphs, though both have trouble with punctuation and ending sentences as well as the site not applying the message in the same format. I will add more spaces between and try to be more aware of running sentences to help form better separations for ease of reading. Thank you for bringing it up and reminding me.
Not sure, I think 1988-89 was a golden age for me and that was also the time I had discovered and listened to Hendrix a lot. Also Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and The Beatles. I guess when I had a breakdown and everything went weird and horrible in 1990, I lost interest in that music. Maybe because I wanted to preserve it to a certain time when I was more care free and optimistic so I wanted to have that music stay in that era. I still like Hendrix etc but not in the same way, it just makes me sad to listen to it now.

My dad saw Hendrix at Oakland Coliseum in 1968. He saw Led Zep as well, he also went to Altamont and the Isle of Wight festival in 1970. He was from England but briefly lived in Northern California from 1965-70. Hence why he went to both Altamont festival and Isle of Wight festival.

This is actually super weird and complicated for me, because I'm very athletic, I've always been pretty good at sports and exercising, yet I find myself being really clumsy around the house. I have to replace the screen protector on my phone a lot because of how often I drop my phone lol. In my own house!

A few people have suggested to me that I might have a problem with depth perception. But I'm not sure about that because I can drive a car just fine and I think I have above-average ability with some sports. I also hike a lot and I'm not clumsy while doing that. I can manage walking multiple dogs on leashes at the same time.

But... I did break my hand at the gym, lifting weights. I dropped a 25 pound weight on my hand. I have also had some concussions, mostly from household accidents, not sports. I fractured my foot falling out of bed when I was in high school, and as an adult I fell on my ass and broke my tailbone and part of my back.
I'm not joking... It probably sounds like I'm trying to be funny but I'm not. I'm actually really embarrassed about some of these things!

For anyone who does have issues with depth perception, what can be done about it? Would wearing glasses help? I'm not entirely sure it's a depth perception issue but after reading back what I just wrote, it kind of sounds like that's what it is. These injuries were almost all a result of falling or dropping something.

But, I will note that I have a medical condition (developed in adulthood) that causes me to fall sometimes. It actually really scares me that I've been dropping stuff because with the disease I have that can sometimes be a really bad sign :(
I don’t know about the depth perception aspect.. I did have to wear glasses (semi by choice) because it helped me focus better and avoid obsessing over the various details in my field of view, minimizing the amount of definition I was taking in, similar to how I make use of a baseball cap’s visor.

I can’t say that I have noticed any correlation in myself towards it but do experience a constant failure of my hands, on more stressful days opposed to good ones.

To me it feels like a random nerve or nerves misfiring and usually out of view at the time of occurrence so I had never considered aspects of vision and have never shown any other signs a lack of depth perception..

it has taken me a long time to be somewhat graceful though, practiced motions and repetition co-ordinated with my vision has allowed a lot more fluidity in movement but I still oft catch parts of me on things that remain out of view, even while taking them into account from prior peripheral view or anticipation and object permanence (that may be the wrong application for the term).

I don’t know the medical condition you imply, I can only think of POTS off the top of my head but know of several that I would be concerned of if I wasn’t convinced of my own opinion.

If this is new and it happens often enough to cause you concern and distress (and accidents) it -is- certainly worth booking a consult with your doctor to try to sort it and shouldn’t be avoided, while I imagine there are probably many here adept and keen to try to help figure things out in the meantime or leading up to.

I can occasionally be clumsy. I lose my balance while walking sometimes and I have dropped things randomly. I have never dropped anything that could hurt me or someone else luckily.

A good video on the topic from this year:

1. Autistics vs. controls: Less fine motor "micro adjustments" primarily in the limbs.
2. Far more brain stem involvement in autistics. Roughly 69% of the motor control contributions towards "clumsiness" in autistics was in the brainstem and cerebellum input tracts. *The development of the brainstem begins during the 1st trimester of pregnancy. More evidence of a prenatal condition.
3. Good news: Some of the motor coordination deficits can be improved with physical therapies. *A way to get better at a physical activity is through repetition.

Quite likely.

Quite likely.

So, even these articles from the mid-1990s were beginning to associate the observations of poor neuromotor control and ASDs. Now, some 25 years later, with much improved methods, are beginning to solidify the facts.

FYI,...given how rapidly the research is filling in the gaps here,...I find it useful to limit my PubMed, Medline, Google Scholar searches to the last 5 years,...and even then, better studies and reviews are from the past 2 years. ;)

I have somewhat bad eye hand coordination yet I can hold and carry fragile things and put them away without dropping anything pretty well.

I have bad reaction time and when I'm burned out I stumble and sway a bit (I can control it but it's hard so I let it happen when there's no danger). I was always last in gym class. My parents say it was a lot more obvious when I was little and I had occupational therapy.

A good video on the topic from this year:

1. Autistics vs. controls: Less fine motor "micro adjustments" primarily in the limbs.
2. Far more brain stem involvement in autistics. Roughly 69% of the motor control contributions towards "clumsiness" in autistics was in the brainstem and cerebellum input tracts. *The development of the brainstem begins during the 1st trimester of pregnancy. More evidence of a prenatal condition.
3. Good news: Some of the motor coordination deficits can be improved with physical therapies. *A way to get better at a physical activity is through repetition.

That sounds right. I believe autistic people often "think" about what they have to do while NTs more often rely on proprioception and eye-hand coordination which is based in the lower unconscious brain - limbic system and amygdala. You can't think about what to do and send the orders out fast enough and the cortex is not the best part of the brain for controlling physical activity.

Practice and careful coaching can improve the physical deficit. Where I grew up, if you weren't a "natural" nobody had any time or interest in helping you. Back then making the team and being good at sports was the highest status you could have. These days unless you are naturally good enough to be on a team, most kids have no interest in competitive sports. Computer games, smart phones and helicopter parents are the rule.

I've had a consistently positive Romberg's test since I was a teenager. (Imaging studies indicate my brain is 100% healthy.) It is entirely related to my proprioception or lack thereof; I literally have zero spacial reasoning skills.

I will park a mile away and walk so I know I won't have to parallel park.

Usually it is nothing more than my 'average' level of klutziness, but if my systems get too stressed, I tend to fail a bit on my right side. My right hip will float out of joint and my right ankle rolls under and I end up standing on my lateral mallelous. Weird thing about this is none of it hurts. I'm just not able to walk safely.

It is a system wide sensory misfire...

The flipside, in my home space, I can operate in the pitch black (e.g. the basement steps) and have zero issues. But to be fair, I have muscle memory at work and my sense of touch at work.

I had a double whammy of poor proprioception and the inability to put on muscle mass however hard I worked out. I was not about to do drugs to compensate for poor genetics. There was nothing I could do to feel good about my body.

New Threads

Top Bottom