• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clocks...

As far as it being related to autism, I have never heard of it being associated before or on a list of its symptoms, etc.

The main person I know who has no concept whatsoever of time (my wife) isn't on the spectrum, so it can occur with anyone.

I'm an Aspie and have no problem with time, and can estimate how much has passed or how much something will take very accurately. I also have good spatial awareness.

Formulas however of any kind and some math are my bane, so switching back and forth between time systems or even daylight savings, etc, is ridiculously difficult for me.

I am a ham radio/shortwave radio geek, so I am very familiar with what is called "UTC" or "Coordinated Universal Time" in the electronics hobbyist and international ship sailing communities. Frequently in online discussions hams will simply call it "z" for Zulu because it's easier to type. Right now I use a clock my parents bought for me when they went to Spain on vacation in 2006 for Zulu time. Europeans have traditionally used 24 hour time notation instead of the am/pm notation used in North America. But yeah, I definitely have dyscalculia.

I've never understood math, either, and I don't really have the attention span for it. I am a 16-year-old with Autism and ADHD, what would you expect?

I have no issue with telling time. Speaking of clocks I have to get a new 1 next week as 1 of mine is now broke.

Analog clocks make sense to me and I learned early how to tell time. I had a special clock for that with multiples of five in tiny font around the clock face. I was baffled by digital initially and still struggle with the 24 hour clock. I don't really know if my sense of time is any good or not. Either I have the benefit of a clock in front of me or time doesn't matter.

I don't have difficulty with reading traditional analogue clocks. If anything, it's digital clocks I have difficulty with. I'm a visual thinker and analogue clocks are a visual respresentation of time, easy to understand for me.

Same with gauges on a car. I like analog gauges rather than digital. I think in pictures and it's much quicker to work with the needle position than comprehend the number.

I only learned to tell time at the end of middle school. Any math questions about clocks I would just fail, I just couldn't understand the logic behind it.

New Threads

Top Bottom