• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Class on asperger. Help for presentation

RidingDutchman

Hey everybody

A week from now I have to hold a presentation at my internship about autism. Most of them don't know much about it and it might help the care for autistic patients a lot. Its at a psychiatric clinic for people in need of short-term mental first-aid (think people with severe depression, psychoses or suicidal tendencies). I'm going to mainly focus myself on asperger but won't limit myself to it.
I'm trying my hardest to put in as much personal experience as well, try to translate to the NT crowd how an autistic brain thinks about autism so to speak.

Considering I'm pretty good at overlooking things I was wondering if any of you had any good must-adds. Things all NT's should know about "us" aspies and auties. What stereotypes but you most in daily life, what should an NT be aware of when talking with an autie and stuff like that.

Any input would be much appreciated, not just for me but for all the autistic clients my co-interns will meet in the future.

I'm an aspie and these are some things I think that you should include;
Never talk to an aspie using figurative language or other easily misinterpreted words, they cause all manner of misunderstandings. Just say exactly what you mean in the simplest way possible, without talking down to them.
Also, we have very specific likes and dislikes, and often react very badly to sudden changes or surprises.
Not sure about others, but I often act distant or disinterested, but I'm actually focusing very intently on what's going on.
Those are all of the things that come to mind.

The whole "look at me when I'm talking to you" thing. The more disinterested I look, the closer I'm paying attention. When I'm facing slightly away from a speaker, and my eyes are half or fully closed, that means I'm riveted by what is being said.

The reason I bring up something so obvious is that I once attended a session at a centre that only dealt with people on the spectrum. The initial interview had the therapist seated six feet away, directly facing me. How could they be so dense!?

And now that I think about it: lighting! Fluorescent lighting is an abomination, with halogen spot lights not far behind. If I'm close to overload, bad lighting pushes me over the edge. I experienced having to wait in a psychiatric emergency waiting room with fluorescent lighting and a tv blaring away...an uncomfortable time, to put it mildly. Again, you would think they would know better.

Forget all of what you think you know about interacting with other human beings, prepare yourself to talk to someone who truly thinks differently.

The whole "look at me when I'm talking to you" thing. The more disinterested I look, the closer I'm paying attention. When I'm facing slightly away from a speaker, and my eyes are half or fully closed, that means I'm riveted by what is being said.

The reason I bring up something so obvious is that I once attended a session at a centre that only dealt with people on the spectrum. The initial interview had the therapist seated six feet away, directly facing me. How could they be so dense!?

And now that I think about it: lighting! Fluorescent lighting is an abomination, with halogen spot lights not far behind. If I'm close to overload, bad lighting pushes me over the edge. I experienced having to wait in a psychiatric emergency waiting room with fluorescent lighting and a tv blaring away...an uncomfortable time, to put it mildly. Again, you would think they would know better.

AGREE!!! You are in a shrink emerg and they have the TV blarring!! Lights going all over. Chairs from hell. Do you know what they did to me once? They had a pink room that had no chairs, just indentations in the wall to sit. They would LOCK you in there before you even had an interview and you could wait average 8 hours, often more. Ummmm-OD on these pills or spend 8 hours in the pink room? Bye bye. People were terrified of the pink room.

They upgraded to a place where you were in a cell---- like a prison cell. Sometimes you would even have an orange jumpsuit, I kid you not. My buddy was handcuffed for a TWO HOUR RIDE from his home to the hospital!! He was not even a danger. Handcuffed BEHIND the back. YOu want to see a meltdown ? Pull that crap.

You had to stay in your cell unless you had to pee and then it was one of those metal prison toilets.

WHy do they keep treating us like criminals? HAve they not read that we are about 10 times more likely to BE abused than to abuse??

What they do to psych pts who are in crisis is deplorable. In the US there have been a lot of autistic or otherwise mentally ill people shot when asking for help.

Rule #1: NEVER call 911 if I am in crisis. If I am to be shot it will not be by a "helper" thank you very much.

I would also add that we are very sensitive to a lot of things and we are each different from one another. So you might think you have Autism understood, but probably not if even those who "study " it do not.

We are each like a whole new genus unto ourselves, like a shape that has no end of sides and each one glitters in the light in one way on one day and other way another day.

You will never understand a person with autism. But you can learn from us and like us and know we are curious and interesting if you want to know us and we would like to know you , too.

after twenty hours of being pinned down in accident and emergency [ER] by a ton of police, i was transfered to the local secure mental health unit until they could sort out a room at a intellectual disability hospital miles away,it was full at the time as we only tend to go to those hospitals when we have been kicked out of our home because of our challenging behavior so we come with a ton of baggage and we have to have an extra room to ourselves just for our stuff,so the capacity of 14 tended to be halved in reality.

my experiences in the mental health unit were terrible,to top it off i was also still non verbal at the time and they took my PECS off me because they thought i could cut myself with the edges of them.
also-none of them were trained in makaton,which is a major issue for non verbal autistics.
i eventually got brought my laptop which they would charge for me with the cable and give it to me without the cable,i used it to communicate with,via a speech/pecs app,but they wouldnt wait for me to type they would look at the screen and verbally fill in the blanks which really annoyed me.

i was bullied and followed by a service user there,and no staff intervened despite being on a 1-1.... however a fellow service user who was like a mum to me protected me when she could and she treated me with respect unlike the staff.

i found the unit itself very sensory overloading,there were some very challenging patients there not least myself who was going through extreme challenging behavior,extreme anxiety,severe major depressive disorder and paranoid pyschosis at the time,so it was very noisy lots of shouting and people being restrained.
i was also in my own wheel chair full time apart from in my room as i couldnt walk with all the noise and lighting, i would instantly fall to the floor and smash my head on the floor.
they had the tv on in the lounge up full blast and when i signed for the tv to be turned down a bit [miraculously they understood my sign for noisy] the girl who was bullying me would kick off and the staff would look at her then at me and say; i have to think of everyone else,not just myself and if i dont like it i can go to my room,they basically had no understanding of sensory issues and couldnt spot when a vulnerable adult was being bullied.

i escaped that hell hole after 7 days,and was transfered in some sort of pimped up transit type van in handcuffs with four staff,the windows were black and grilled off, i felt like a criminal.
i felt like the staff in the mental health unit probably spoke to me with a bit more humanity and respect than the staff in the intellectual disability hospital, who all treated me like i was putting on the behaviors becuase a large number of their patients are profoundly intellectually disabled people and the staff dont recognise mild intellectual disability-they would say things like if you dont stop carrying on you will never get out of here yet they treated the more severely intellectually disabled people with respect,but there was one staff in the mental health unit knew a bit about classic/complex autism and she was awesome.
ever since that sectioning,i have been back in accident and emergency with mental health problems and it is often the lady who understands classic autism who is on the crisis team that come and see me,she tells me things like, look em; try your best to keep calm as you would hate to come on the unit right now,its crowded and noisy,she would give me an injection of haloperidol or lorazepam depending on the problem.

so key points i would say are:
*make sure noise is kept to a minimum or autistic patient is put in a quiet area.
*make sure all nurses are aware of the autistic patients autism, and how best to communicate with them.
*make sure to keep a close watch on the autistic patient for possible bullying issues as autists are highly vulnerable to it.
*allow the autistic patient to eat in their own room if they want it do not force them to eat with others as they may not be able to eat at all.
*allow the autistic patient to use fiddle toys,sensory toys etc if they are not risks to the patient or others.
*use visual mood thermometers and mood pictorials with the autistic patient to allow them to show you how they feel rather than asking them and likely confusing the patient as the autist may struggle to verbally express feelings.
*make sure the autistic patient has their dietry special needs met,such as needing plain food,certain colours of food and avoidance of certain foods,flavours,textures etc-dont call it being fussy;its a legit and difficult part of autism and is as much a need as is a mushy food diet for dysphagia.
*avoid using to many words in your conversations with the autistic as many autistics;particulary those with classic autism get overloaded by information.
*dont assume the autistic has a young mental age just because they are comforted by toys.
etc...

Please don't take offence if I'm brutally honest with you. I may come across as rude, but I genuinely don't realise this, in my mind I am giving you my honest opinion and answering you logically.

Thanks to all of you for the useful information. Tomorrow I'm going to put in the final touches to my presentation and am really hoping to be able to translate the aspie brain to the NT brain.
If people have any tip, how small they might be, it will be appreciated.
Small stories might be useful too, so people can see how it is to be autistic. One of many personal stories I'm going to add is how a teacher, after a red pencil broke, wanted me to "go and see if there are any red pencils in the closet" and me returning with the answer "yes there are red pencils in the closet" and a lacking amount of pencils in my hand went on to tell me not to be a smartass. Short funny stories like that really appeal to listeners so they would be appreciated.

If people would want to see the finished product, feel free to ask ahead. I'm not sure if a posted presentation would be appreciated or not.

A couple of months ago, in a social setting, I was approached by a man who introduced himself, "Hi! My name is John!" I looked at him briefly and said "oh." In the moment, I was distracted and I forgot that the script required me to say "Ah, pleasure to meet you John, my name is Alcyon!"

It's very rare that something like that happens to me; it brought home that whether or not I'm aware of it, I'm always having to process what goes on around me.

Thanks to all for the help I got. The presentation went well and they all said it was useful stuff to apply on the workfloor.

So perhaps we all helped a bit to gain a more autism friendly world here

Great advice from the previous posters. I would also add that forcing us into social situations is not going to cure our social problems. We will be social and get better at it when we are ready. Also we are not all crazed murderers like the media sometimes portrays us as. We are for the most part very loving people. We just can't always express it appropriately.

New Threads

Top Bottom