• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cities

Geordie

Geordie
Who lives to live in cities and larger towns?

Do you like what you have in your city?

Share with us your refined thoughts here, hehe

My town is normal by nation standards. It's about 50.000 people. Even our capital; Amsterdam, doesn't have 1 million. So I guess everything is a bit smaller here.

That being said; the city/town I live in now is fine. But I should mention, it really depends where you live. I've got a trainstation at the end of the street (one of 3 in my town; which has a train every 30 minutes). Not all neighbourhoods are that fortunate.

I would like to move out though; Just because it's pretty much the outskirts of anything "big" going on in the country. If you look at the map of The netherlands... I live in the south-east. The "leg" and to add with it, all down south. I'm in Belgium, Germany, France and Luxemburg quite fast by car or train, compared to someone like my girlfriend who lives up north in the capital. It's still 100 miles or so to get from her to my place. But yeah, I would live to move and get more in the center preferably. It would shorten any train travels and most stuff going on happens in the west (I should actually state; anything past Eindhoven up until the coast).

As for living in a big city in general... I would like to live in the center though, not in some kind of part of a muncipality. I don't own a car (and most likely never will), so I do a lot by bus and/or train. Living in the center, even in a well isolated, soundproof appartment above the shopping district would be fine for me.

As for living in a big city in general... I would like to live in the center though, not in some kind of part of a muncipality. I don't own a car (and most likely never will), so I do a lot by bus and/or train. Living in the center, even in a well isolated, soundproof appartment above the shopping district would be fine for me.

You're lucky enough to live in Europe, where they've always cared about city centres (as far as I can tell).

I live in the downtown area of a city of about 700,000, and there are important people who are actively trying to make it worse to live there (there are also those who try to make it better). It's already bad in some ways. There is only one proper grocery store in the entire downtown, and it's very expensive. It is very difficult to find men's clothing here (it's a little less bad for women, but just a little).

The good news? It's a ten-minute walk to work in the morning, which is better than waiting for a bus when it hits minus thirty. I don't have to own a car, so there is no participation in the Detroit-based Ponzi scheme that some call the North American economy. If I somehow manage to snag hockey tickets (hah!), I don't have to commute and then look for parking.

And it's all much better than living in the town of 2000 that I grew up in. I was a nail that stood up and therefore constantly got hammered down. And there's some attempt at proper psychiatric care here.

I wish I lived in a metropolitan area,but sadly,I dont. My town(including the village,where I live,has a population of about 9000. So,not that many people. there is literally nothing to do,and being a busy body,I hate this. I have to go like 20+ minutes away to find even a mall and a good grocery store.

I've lived in four out of six largest cities in my country, and haven't had a problem about their size as they really are quite small every each of them. But I don't particularly like to live in center. Yeah, it's nice to have a bar, a book- and a record store and McDonald's in the basement, but I don't like the rush, exhaust gases and constant noise. I rather have some more peace, larger apartment at the same cost and some forest near me even if it means more lengthy commuting. I'm fine by using bus or doing some cycling. So, I'd be in agony if I had to move to larger metropolitan abroad - because of bike thieves too!

My first 17 years I lived in rural area where all my friends from school lived in suburb and I was the weird lonely girl from that big forest, which I liked. During times of my big city-exploits I've lived by the sea and on the root of a mountain, and these nature contacts have helped a lot on blending to environment. At this scale all can be manageable I think.

I live on the edge of a smaller city, which is quite nice. It's relatively rural around here, so we get some nice quietness. Shops aren't that far away when you need them. I couldn't live in a big city, it'd be too noisy and crowded for me.

When I left home (population around 1500) at the age of 23 I went to live in a nearby city of around 400,000. I was in low paid work for several years so I could only afford a small room in a shared flat with 4 other guys sharing one bathroom which I hated. The area wasn't that great either as it was a bit run down and had problems with teenage gangs especially at night. On the positive side most of the city was very pleasant and the centre was only a 20 minute bus journey away where there were loads of free art galleries, museums and things to do if you were on a low budget.

I think its best for aspies to live in a medium large city say 500.000 as you can be annonymous in the crowd yet there is plenty going on, being in a very small place is no good unless you know evryone, I had to leave a small town i was in as too many people knew my business and i felt uncomfortable

My city's got over 50 volcanoes, so my city's pretty awesome. :D
I like volcanoes, so long as none of them decide to blow. :p

Living In Idaho, there are no really big cities. I grew up in the biggest city, Boise. It got to big for me, so we moved to a smaller town about 25 miles away. It's just right, close to the city but a lot quieter. The best thing about living here is that we are close to wilderness areas. No roads, no towns, no people, just nature.

New Threads

Top Bottom