• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Church and Autism

Your mileage may vary. There are probably churches out there that would be bothered by that, or at least have individuals bothered by it. Clearly shouldn't be the case, but some people stay immature about that sort of thing.
i don't bring yarn projects to synagogues. you follow along in prayer books. so there is no time for wandering minds.

Quaker meetings are largely silent and most request fragrance free. I did have trouble navigating the social before and after times,

With the onset of covid, many began meeting via zoom. This has morphed into hybrid meetings: some people meet in person and some participate by zoom.

This has been perfect for me. I can worship without having to do the social part.

Quaker meetings are largely silent and most request fragrance free. I did have trouble navigating the social before and after times,

With the onset of covid, many began meeting via zoom. This has morphed into hybrid meetings: some people meet in person and some participate by zoom.

This has been perfect for me. I can worship without having to do the social part.

Fascinating I'm the opposite... In September 2020 when we started live in-person services again (with mask and distanced) I was there immediately, now that we're past pandemic stage I would much rather be there in person... Any meeting where I am there in real life and see the speaker is preferable to me... Watching over a screen just isn't the same experience...

Just how we are all different, that's all

I’m an atheist, but I was raised Christian, and I go to church with my family on holidays to avoid scrutiny from my family. I remember as a kid I always hated church, and I still do. In retrospect, it’s an autistic nightmare: people wanting to shake your hand and making eye contact you as soon as you get in the door, loud music, not being able to stim through a service. I want to know if other people, atheist or not, feel the same way that I do about church.

Just out of curiosity, do you also have social anxiety? I was raised christian as well, and I had a lot of trouble sitting through sermons and things like that (especially as I got older) due to it. I didn't know I had ASD at the time, but I feel like both together can make this rather difficult.

Being somewhat a believer in a higher power now (after a very long period of atheism), every time I even vaguely think about the idea of going to church, I remind myself about how hard breaking through that barrier would be. Although, I do think it's possible to get desensitized over time if someone is committed to it anyway.

If I had the means to do it, I'd absolutely use that as a means of reconnecting with people in a somewhat-intimate setting. Sometimes I think problems like SAD stem from a lack of that 'fellowship', or at least that's what I see in myself quite a lot these days. I think this is just an overly-complicated way of saying that I need the holy spirit to enter my life, but I guess it depends on how you look at it!

Just out of curiosity, do you also have social anxiety? I was raised christian as well, and I had a lot of trouble sitting through sermons and things like that (especially as I got older) due to it. I didn't know I had ASD at the time, but I feel like both together can make this rather difficult.

Being somewhat a believer in a higher power now (after a very long period of atheism), every time I even vaguely think about the idea of going to church, I remind myself about how hard breaking through that barrier would be. Although, I do think it's possible to get desensitized over time if someone is committed to it anyway.

If I had the means to do it, I'd absolutely use that as a means of reconnecting with people in a somewhat-intimate setting. Sometimes I think problems like SAD stem from a lack of that 'fellowship', or at least that's what I see in myself quite a lot these days. I think this is just an overly-complicated way of saying that I need the holy spirit to enter my life, but I guess it depends on how you look at it!
I do have social anxiety, but I’d say that the autism is/was more of what caused me to struggle. The social interaction at every corner was just too much.

Pretty much. I left the church at the age of 15, with the consent of my parents. They came to the proper conclusion that I was getting nothing out of it. And they were right.

I remain a fan of God, but not based on any one organized religion. I found my own spiritual path to follow, void of fellowship, dogma, rules and rituals established by mere mortals.

Last edited:
At Christmas I was invited to a Blue Christmas service at an Episcopal Church. I went and noticed two, no really three things.

1. It is noisy. There is always talking and singing going on. How can anyone listen to a "higher power" or God when there is so much noise?

2. I had forgotten how much of liturgy is dogmatic and "talking down" to parishioners. I accept there is a power much much greater than myself, but I still expect to be treated with respect and not as a naughty child.

3. The liturgy has changed so much from that of my childhood, I didn't even have the comfort of old, familiar passages and routines.

I had forgotten how much of liturgy is dogmatic and "talking down" to parishioners. I accept there is a power much much greater than myself, but I still expect to be treated with respect and not as a naughty child.

From what I can tell, this is a very common view. I agree with it, too.

I'm still holding out hope that the younger generations will come around and turn it more into a positive, inclusive environment rather that one that demonizes others, and I think something like this will indeed happen in time. Statistically, I'm sure there are some that already exist like this, but I bet they're a little rarer and not everybody has one in their community. But I think some kind of renaissance could be on the horizon, at least.

At Christmas I was invited to a Blue Christmas service at an Episcopal Church. I went and noticed two, no really three things.

1. It is noisy. There is always talking and singing going on. How can anyone listen to a "higher power" or God when there is so much noise?

2. I had forgotten how much of liturgy is dogmatic and "talking down" to parishioners. I accept there is a power much much greater than myself, but I still expect to be treated with respect and not as a naughty child.

3. The liturgy has changed so much from that of my childhood, I didn't even have the comfort of old, familiar passages and routines.
What is a blue Christmas service? - that is a new term to me.

What is a blue Christmas service? - that is a new term to me.
It’s a service especially for people who have suffered loss and are not full of the expected-of-you Christmas cheer. So the various readings, songs, etc. were chosen with that in mind. The pastor was available afterwards to give counseling or a blessing.

From what I can tell, this is a very common view. I agree with it, too.

I'm still holding out hope that the younger generations will come around and turn it more into a positive, inclusive environment rather that one that demonizes others, and I think something like this will indeed happen in time. Statistically, I'm sure there are some that already exist like this, but I bet they're a little rarer and not everybody has one in their community. But I think some kind of renaissance could be on the horizon, at least.
I also remembered after my post, the emphasis on groveling about what terrible sinners we are. I’d forgotten that as well. While I am far from perfect and have no trouble stating I made a mistake or did something selfish, etc., I don’t believe God requires groveling.

It’s a service especially for people who have suffered loss and are not full of the expected-of-you Christmas cheer. So the various readings, songs, etc. were chosen with that in mind. The pastor was available afterwards to give counseling or a blessing.
What a lovely idea - for those for whom this Christmas does not match the "ideal"

I'm really lucky to live like less than five minutes away from my church. I am non denominational and attend an Anglican church now where I live. I am an early riser and they have an 8am Holy Communion service which is just 30 minutes. I like getting the Eurachist on a Sunday and find it helpful to have that routine. There is no music and the Eurchaist is placed in our hands and they use santiser. Being that short helps me. The rector is approachable as well. Lately, I have been attending their Wednesday service for Holy Communion at 10.30am.

New Threads

Top Bottom