• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chess she said

You might be a nerd if you can set up a chess board with instructions in under 15 minutes...

Last edited:
The orientation should be

Chessboard.png

What about the number system? Is my board correct?

You'd need to rotate so they match the graphic I added - white pieces start on rows 1 and 2, and black pieces start on rows 8 and 7; A1 on lower left and H8 at top right from white's perspective.

(so that the standard king's pawn opening is E4)

When we used to pmay by phone the number system was really important. Both players would set up a board. I think its white side rules. So a, b,c goes from white towards black and the numbers go....
On mine they go from right to left.
So my white side left rear corner is marked
A8

I would have to relabel mine to match that. Let's ask around and see if there is a consensus on the number letter system

Ok well we need a standard grid for notation, i may have to relabel my board. It coukd be a wierd board or foe something else, like a different game

I learned as a little kid, but haven't played in years. While I never learned the concise terms of the board coordinates, I knew how the pieces moved. I called the Bishop (the vaccum cleaner) because of its fixed sweep on its diagonal. Pawns (cannon fodder). Rooks/ castles (solid and straightforward with no original or unique movements like a good sidekick (goon). The Knights because of their abilities to leap in L's and the black and white colouring (Lipizzaner). The King and Queen were pretty straight forward. Castles in the corners, horses in the stable, bishop has the ear of the monarch....

New Threads

Top Bottom