• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cataract Surgery

Ken

V.I.P Member
I'm not sure where I should post this, so I put it here...

Have any of you had cataract surgery and if so, how was it? What was the pros and cons? Any long term issues?

My eye doctor says I will be needing the surgery somewhat soon and I am very concerned. Everyone I know that has had it ended up with several issues. I also know many that needed it, but didn't get it and ended up essentially blind.

I have met 2 people who had surgery with no problems. So perhaps it matters who does it. You need to research possible issues, then ask your doctor what is their success rate with this surgery? Don't be afraid to ask doctors questions. Alot of them will be very honest and tell you the truth. Research, ask questions, like what are the biggest issues that you see with this surgery? Are these issues fixable? But it's important that you do have the surgery. Interview 2 doctors. Ask for a consult.

I had it last year. It went okay. I was awake the whole time, but I was anesthetized and it wasn’t painful. I had it done by the same doctor who did cataract surgery for my mother and father.

I also agree it’s always good to get second and third opinions. Particularly with a major procedure at hand.

I had it for both eyes five years ago. NO long term issues. My surgeon performed relaxing cuts to both corneas that eliminated my astigmatism. I am happy with the results.

Known several who've had it done, no problems reported. They went with a doctor who specializes in them and does thousands of procedures per year.

Wife had it. It fixed her cataracts. Not 100% perfect vision but it was a heck of an improvement. She sees haloes around bright lights because of the type of lens she chose. I kind of forced her into it when I discovered she couldn't read street names when the sign was perfectly clear to me. Cataracts only get worse, never better.

Fortunately, mine are really minor. I might never need surgery if I am really lucky.

I have had both of my natural lenses replaced with an Alcon product. The surgery was interesting, and uncomplicated. For most cases, it is very safe and the outcomes are very predictable. Complicating factors may include prior Lasik procedures, or unusual eye shapes. If you have an Astigmatism, you will need more expensive lenses (or in some cases another procedure someone already mentioned here). Mine are for spherical (non-astigmatism) correction only, so they are the basic lens implants.

I was asking the surgeon questions about the procedure for the first eye, as I started coming out of the sedation early. Being sort of a nerd, it was quite interesting. He was kind enough to answer my questions. What I can tell you is that the calculations prior the surgery were spot on, the correction was perfect, and my eyesight was restored to what it was 50 year earlier (for distance vision). I need only a couple of diopters of correction for reading, which means cheap reader glasses only. Recovery time is typically fast in the absence of any complications. Irrecoverable mistakes are relatively rare. Ask your surgeon for his/her track record.

ye, as I started coming out of the sedation early. Being sort of a nerd, it was quite interesting. He was kind enough to answer my questions. What I can tell you is that the calculations prior the surgery were spot on, the correction was perfect, and my eyesight was restored to what it was 50 year earlier (for distance vision). I need only a couple of diopters of correction for reading, which means cheap reader glasses only. Recovery time is typically fast in the absence of any com
answer my questions. What I can tell you is that the calculations prior the surgery were spot on, the correction was perfect, and my eyesight was restored to what it was 50 year earlier (for distance vision). I need only a couple of diopters of correction for reading, which means cheap reader glasses only. Recovery time is typically fast in the absence of any com
I have had both of my natural lenses replaced with an Alcon product. The surgery was interesting, and uncomplicated. For most cases, it is very safe and the outcomes are very predictable. Complicating factors may include prior Lasik procedures, or unusual eye shapes. If you have an Astigmatism, you will need more expensive lenses (or in some cases another procedure someone already mentioned here). Mine are for spherical (non-astigmatism) correction only, so they are the basic lens implants.

I was asking the surgeon questions about the procedure for the first eye, as I started coming out of the sedation early. Being sort of a nerd, it was quite interesting. He was kind enough to answer my questions. What I can tell you is that the calculations prior the surgery were spot on, the correction was perfect, and my eyesight was restored to what it was 50 year earlier (for distance vision). I need only a couple of diopters of correction for reading, which means cheap reader glasses only. Recovery time is typically fast in the absence of any complications. Irrecoverable mistakes are relatively rare. Ask your surgeon for his/her track record.
Track record is VERY important! Experience and good outcomes count.

My concern is what I have seen other people suffer: extreme light sensitivity (I already have that) and tunnel vision.
As @Au Naturel points out, experience counts and all of the people I am familiar with was done in a small, remote town.

I agree with Au Naturel. Getting the right doctor makes a big difference. I had both of my eyes done a few years before my wife. For me it made a big difference in my vision. When my wife had her eyes done, they were done by a different doctor (insurace issues) and were not done right. The lens in the right eye sliped out of position and now her vision in her right eye is worse than it was before.

I agree with Au Naturel. Getting the right doctor makes a big difference. I had both of my eyes done a few years before my wife. For me it made a big difference in my vision. When my wife had her eyes done, they were done by a different doctor (insurace issues) and were not done right. The lens in the right eye sliped out of position and now her vision in her right eye is worse than it was before.
They need to fix that. Or take a lawsuit.

Oops, false alarm. I just had a followup visit and my vision is "back" to 20/20. I was deeply depressed during my previous visit which affected my vision. Looked like a cataract issue to the doctor. I'm still depressed, but not quite as much so.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your comments and input. Just glad no cataract surgery is on the horizon.:)

I also know a few who have had the same operation and they had no complaints afterwards.

New Threads

Top Bottom