• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cataract Surgery Tuesday

SusanLR

Curiosity's Cat
V.I.P Member
I'm have cataract surgery this week and next.
Of course, I am very nervous about this, but, my sight is getting bad
rapidly from cataracts.

I know there are others here in my age catagory that may have had experience
with cataracts.
I am getting Toric IOLs due to high astigmatism.
It is unfortunate that I must choose either clear up close vision or distance.
Not both. There are a few brands that advertise all distances vision clarity,
but, due to dry eye and corneal problems, my doctor says they are not for me.

If anyone else has had this surgery or these types of lens,
I would appreciate what your experience was like.
Any complications you might have had.
What to expect during the surgery and if anyone knows about vision through
Toric astigmatic lens. How is vision with them?
Do you feel the lens in your eyes?

I need input if there is anyone here that can help.
Scared and nervous.

Im sorry to read youre having cataracts :(. From what i have understood this kind of procedures are quick and is done with laser and usely not high risk of complications. So although i understand youre worried try to worry less my friend. To me it sounds like youre going to have to accept either glasses or lenses to correct the problems youre loosing . (i have had glasses all my life due to short sight and Refractive error :rolleyes: ) And from what i have understood about all this is if you wont it less complicated take the glasses. WAY more huzzle and risk with lenses .

Either way i which you good luck and im shore things will go just fine my friend (HUGS )

So my conclusion is:

1. It seems there are better options to the toric lens that allow you to see near + far: 2nd link. [this raises the question of can your doc be reliable, are there places near you which can do the other options that allow you to see near + far?]

2. You will still need glasses for near.

3. Be prepared to spend on a 2nd surgery, the conclusion i draw from the surgery link [last] is that the only means most surgeons have to read your cornea shape is to open up your eye. And if you need another lens they still choose to put in the bad one just to check if your sight is any better. Then you might have to buy another custom lens to fit your cornea size/shape which i understand they're expensive. Also if it's not positioned right your surgeon may need to redo the surgery.

3. Great risk great rewards, most patients have success with it.

4. Toric iol fixes both cataract and astigmatism. Does your cataract or astigmatism cause you to have a blurry vision? And we should check to see if the other options don't fix both.

5. Reading online may not let us know really which options are more effective. Asking for the opinion of multiple eye doctors [specialized, experienced] about what the best option is for your preferences and your eye conditions may be helpful. I think its more important to invest in diagnosing and figuring out the best option than just having limited information and going on with it.

Last edited:
l hate to say this but asking questions and getting second or third opinion. Every doctor is different, some tell you what they tell everyone else with no variation, (no gray area). But on the other hand, this is done a lot, so don't stress there.

Good luck and let us know how the surgery goes, @SusanLR. I have cataracts, too, but not quite ready for surgery because I can still see okay at night as long as there is bright, ambient light. I don't have any other eye issues other than being 66 years old and know nothing about lens implants, etc. I always wear sunglasses when I drive or spend a lot of time outdoors since cataracts are caused by UV light exposure.

Hope you have support at home while you recover to help you with cooking, etc. You can't lift anything heavy or even bend over for awhile post-surgery so you'll need some help!

Hi @SusanLR

My wife has just had cataract surgery- and when they asked about her vision post operation she opted for being able to see far without issues. This means that she will need reading glasses, but that is her choice.

The operation is very quick. When the first eye was done she checked into the ward at 8am and she was on her way home by 11am. She needed drops for a week and she had tob e very careful not to get anyting in her eye. She did get some dust which really hurt and irritated her eye (but that was all). After 6 weeks she can go to the optician and get checked out for being able to drive.

I cannot comment on the specific details you are mentioning, but she is very glad to have the operation behind her. (We live in the UK so for the US things will be different).

wishing you all the best with the operation

I'm going to repeat the same thing I say every time one of these topics comes up:

This is not the place to ask about it. It's just not safe to ask for advice of this sort from anyone that isnt a medical professional.

All of these things you're curious about are things to ask your doctor, not us.

If you're feeling nervous or anxious, give your doctor a call and have a proper discussion with them. Explain in detail all of the things you're concerned about.

I mean, some of us here can do things like give anecdotal experience stories and whatnot, but what you really need is proper, solid knowledge from those with the expertise needed to have that knowledge in the first place. Stories of "this is how it went for me" doesnt mean it's how it'll go for YOU. It really doesnt help. Concrete knowledge and explanations, that's what'll help.

Seriously. If your doctor isnt, I dunno, out on a boat or something right now, stop what you're doing and give them a call. It can only help.

I’m 57 years old, and I had cataracts removed from both eyes three years ago. Please don’t be nervous. It doesn’t take long, and it doesn’t hurt. You’ll be amazed at how bright the world is after the cataract(s) are removed!

At this very late point in life, l ask what are the odds for a sucessful surgery, the doc should tell you the odds. If they don't- you have the wrong doc. This particular procedure may have great odds. You can directly ask the doctor what his success rate is. Some docs will be very honest and tell you. It's seems strange to ask, but l do ask because l want to know all the info l can on certain things, like back, eyes.

My wife just had that. Her only complaint was that her eyes felt really dry. But she already had a case of dry eye before. They gave her some prescription eye drops. Sometimes her right eye was a bit fuzzy. Needs a mild set of reader's glasses for extended reading. But now she can drive without glasses, even at night.

I've gotten opinions from three different cataract institutes here.

I also have the dry eye disease to begin with so the lens for correction of all the different distances to
be clear after surgery were not recommended by any of the doctors.
They are large and more difficult to implant.

I know most people opt for the ones you can see distance with, but, I have been nearsighted all
my life and have always needed glasses to drive or see distances with.
Opinions vary on which one I would be most comfortable with. One doctor said I would need readers
if I got the long distance ones. Yet he admitted everything is blurry up to 10 feet away from you
before the sight starts clearing up with that type.
I don't think readers would work that far away.
Two of them felt I would be more comfortable with keeping my near vision and continue to wear
glasses for driving as I always have.
So those are the ones I chose.

I don't wear glasses to read, use the computer or do anything inside the house and I want to keep it that
way. I wear sunglasses outside anyway, so if I need prescription glasses for distance, that's what I'm used to.

Sounds like those who at least know of someone or had the procedure were satisfied.

At this very late point in life, l ask what are the odds for a sucessful surgery, the doc should tell you the odds. If they don't- you have the wrong doc
I've had several surgeries, including major cancer surgery.
The odds on that one were not good and the doctor told me so.
On the cataracts, all three give you the same answer. That it is a quick fix and not to worry.
Everything will be alright.
Then you get the sign your A away papers that say no surgery is guaranteed.
There are risks to all surgeries. Results may not be as expected.
And that you agree not to hold them responsible after reading the risks.

I trust doctors about as far as I can throw one.
That's why I like to speak with people who have been there, done that and how they were
afterwards.
But, glasses aren't enough anymore. The cataracts must come out. I see double and
like a cloudy haze now.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
I'll let you know how it goes.

It well go great. You researched well and you know your odds and sounds like you are confident going in. My horrible problem, l will research up to 3 seconds in the door just encase one tiny little negative thing got away from my thesis on surgery outcomes. You got this. l actually look forward to hearing your experience because this seems to be everybody's surgery after a certain age.

Good luck! I truly hope it goes well and I think it will :) Maybe the worst with having Autism is the anesthesia. You know how sensitive we are. Make sure to mention that to the Dr so he knows to watch that closely. Come back and tell us how well things go!!

I am very sensitive to anesthesia and the doctor's office called today.
They only use versed or fentnyl for twilight sedation I was told and I've tried both of those in the past
for other things.
They do not work well for me. Instead of calming me they only create a panic attack.
So they said there are quite a few people who have problems with anesthesia and the surgery can
be done without any since it will be locally numbed.
All they want me to do is take extra Xanax.

So we'll see.

The odds of a successful surgery approach 100%. You will walk away undamaged. It is an extremely commonplace surgery. There are different kinds of lens implants to choose from, hard, hard with variable focus from top to bottom, and soft which allows your eye muscles to focus to a limited degree.

I'm thinking a lot of people don't understand what cataracts are A cataract is a milky white layer in the lens. If As cataracts progress, it becomes difficult to make out fine detail. You look at a light source and it isn't crisp anymore, it has a bright halo around it and you can't make out details. My wife was no longer able to read reflective street signs at night. Until she got really close the letters were just bright areas against a dark background. That is what precipitated the surgery.

Things aren't "out of focus." If that were true, a change in prescription could bring them into focus. It is more like looking through a haze. If you let it go long enough you will be blind. That used to be extremely common among older people. Cataract surgery will still fix the problem, no matter how severe. Here's a cataract vision simulator:

Cataract Vision Simulator

Got the left eye done Tues. morning.
Back tonight for just a note as my eye is still very sore and needs to heal.

I did it with no anesthesia. Only once did I feel a bit of pain.
It was when he put a circular ring around the eye to hold it perfectly still for the laser cut
and removal of the cataract and IOL implantation.
It certainly was not easy and took 2 hours.

Had checkup today to make sure everything was in order. He said I was doing great.
The soreness and residual blood on the white of the eye will take about a week to heal.
Will get the right one done next Tuesday.
I will still have to wear glasses for distance. But, the one that is done is unbelievable with
sharp, bright colours. The right one is still looking through that cataract haze.

So, one to go!

I’m 57 years old, and I had cataracts removed from both eyes three years ago. Please don’t be nervous. It doesn’t take long, and it doesn’t hurt. You’ll be amazed at how bright the world is after the cataract(s) are removed!

*THAT* is what I wanted to hear! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom