• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cars and car troubles

[this the the 2 carbed version of my first build...a combination of VW Beetle and a Corvair drivetrain spliced in the middle...keep in mind this was the mind I had at age 14

Attachments

• buggy.jpg
    buggy.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
up for sale...parental veto on this project after I got caught playing with it on the road

Attachments

• 181437_3194431751886_1294618818_n.jpg
    181437_3194431751886_1294618818_n.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 66
underhood display of the 1968 Mustang I built at age 16...

Attachments

• 559644_3194498433553_1642408691_n.jpg
    559644_3194498433553_1642408691_n.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 69
Pic captured April 2013 Charlotte Motor Speedway at the NHRA 4 wide dragraces that pretty much hits the mark

Attachments

• 920398_4647739363668_856544027_o.jpg
    920398_4647739363668_856544027_o.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 54
The engine in the pictures was a 2 barrel 110 horsepower Corvair engine mated to the Corvair 4 speed and suspension...when I drove it,it had a 4 carbed 180 horsepower Corvair Corsa engine bolted in it. Buggy racing was popular in my area at that time and VW only offered 60 horsepower so it was a natural...the front of the machine was 1962 VW Bug...for the rollbars,one 21 foot joint of pipe was dragged home 5 miles behind a dirtbike with a schedule 80 pipe collar on it to not waste any of it as it ground on the road...I think it took out a mailbox or three...the engine was 164 cubic inches as a flat 6 boxer...it was 2.7 liters displacement in metric

Last edited:
was the corvair motor air cooled? I find the location of the fan interesting on it.
On my car it is bolted onto the crankshaft. this is similar to mine, minus the super charger.
this one is in a 2Cv

Attachments

• super charged GS motor.jpg
    super charged GS motor.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 58
The Corvair unit was air cooled...during the design phase,GM went to Porsche for assistance with it as they had very marked performance with the boxer in the 911 series...Yenko Chevrolet built the Stinger versions of the Corvair where the rest of the famous Yenko Super Cars were built. That was about 15 miles from where I grew up. All the flywheels were lightened and they were fitted with a 4 barrel carb...those flywheels were cut in the basement of the home where I grew up...If I asked my father,he could produce the cut outs,as he is a hoarder. The intake manifold adapters were machined at my house as well.

I find it interesting to see how other air cooled motors are set up.

The 2 Cv must have be interesting to drive.

The motor in the photo could be either 1015,1130, 1220 or 1299 cc.
The original 2 Cv motor was 425 cc the finished production at 625 cc.

Going from 28 Bhp up to 65+ Bhp depending upon level of boost.

28 Bhp might not start some of my engines...I once assembled a VW engine that only lasted 6 hours...it made so much power it shredded it's flywheel off it's doubled up dowel pins (8 @ 8mm) it was the most fun I ever had in a Bug It made killer power and had been sorted thru like a formula one engine...applying things I did for Formula v ,I lightened all rotating assemblies,cut the heads .100 inch,lightened the pistons and rods,bigger valves and springs,(2)40 mm webers , titanium valve keepers and a camshaft out of Anderson Racings 9 second HumBug...it could only do short bursts of 70 miles per hour in 3rd gear on the highway until it loaded up...then back to second gear

Last edited:
The Corvair unit was air cooled...during the design phase,GM went to Porsche for assistance with it as they had very marked performance with the boxer in the 911 series...Yenko Chevrolet built the Stinger versions of the Corvair where the rest of the famous Yenko Super Cars were built. That was about 15 miles from where I grew up. All the flywheels were lightened and they were fitted with a 4 barrel carb...those flywheels were cut in the basement of the home where I grew up...If I asked my father,he could produce the cut outs,as he is a hoarder. The intake manifold adapters were machined at my house as well.
The Corsa engine had 4 rochester carbs,two as primaries and two as secondaries,the secondaries having no choke assemblies. my first task was to rebuild all 4 carbs because they had water corrosion damage,then set them up ,synchronize the throttle opening timing to add fuel on the secondaries to the halfway point when the primaries hit full on and then finish opening due to their sliding over ride mechanisms that allow the further movement needed to complete the entire throttle range. I watched a man use a tube type throttle balancing tool on a motorcycle and knew how it worked so I constructed my own and balanced the idle port jetting so all carbs drew the same balance as evidenced but small rubber balls that floated up or down as you adjusted the idle port mixture screws in to take fuel away,or out because they are tapered and placed on a hole that allows more fuel to pass into the intake tract under high vacuum on the intake manifold as the piston passes the lul point and continues to travel down the cylinder bore creating a negative pressure as the roughly 14.7 pound per square inch pressure we have on us from the actual weight of the air that varies with atmospheric conditions as far as negative and positive weather pressure events that form our weather systems. a lot of very skilled technicians struggled with this setup,but I found it easy,and the reward was improved power which is what started this whole project.

averaged over a 40 year span of driving we estimate I test drove over 30,000 motor vehicles or 2.10612903 a day...I would love to have the racing money back if it is not asking too much...

One of the more interesting version of the 2cv the sahara. 2 of every thing

there only about 25 the big problem is you are sitting on one of the two petrol tanks.
It could be Fwd, Rwd or 4x4

rustang.jpg
The Mustang assembly area 1964... The 1964 and a half Mustang holds the title of the most production vehicles sold on the first day

An article on turbine cars I have, some may find it interesting.

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 74
  • img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 68
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 73
  • img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 68
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 76
An article on turbine cars I have, some may find it interesting.
in my next post here,the dragracing world had it's own versions of turbine power which I will try to skillfully and successfully upload after I write the story about it.

Turbines...the Indy 500. Parnelli Jones...Mario Andretti.

I have a fond memory of that very brief period of time when this technology shocked "the brickyard". :)

rpm_a_pjones2_200.jpg

images

New Threads

Top Bottom