• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Candy corn lore

A key reason why I don't like candy corn other than the blah taste is that it's a candy that's given unpackaged. Getting a literal handful (ie from someone's bare hand) of it while Trick or Treating was gross to me. It was on the same level as getting those heinous orange or black wrapped peanut flavored taffy things. That should have been a hate crime.

I still recall that commercial with health food advocate Euell Gibbons when he found pieces of candy corn on the ground and ate them. Citing, "They taste like wild hickory nuts." :rolleyes:

"The main ingredient used in making candy corn is sugar. Traditional candy corn recipes use sugar, corn syrup, salt, gelatin, oil, honey, dextrose, confectioner’s glaze, and coloring agents as ingredients. Candy corn is extremely sweet and tastes like vanilla, marshmallows, and honey."

When I was 16 I bought a 2 lb? bag of candy corn because it looked and smelled so good.
I ate some each day. When I got 2/3rds through the bag I tossed it in the garbage. Haven't had any since!
I think that's the only time I've thrown away candy- I've got a big sweet tooth.
Can't really say what it was that caused the revulsion.

A key reason why I don't like candy corn other than the blah taste is that it's a candy that's given unpackaged. Getting a literal handful (ie from someone's bare hand) of it while Trick or Treating was gross to me. It was on the same level as getting those heinous orange or black wrapped peanut flavored taffy things. That should have been a hate crime.

You can buy individually packaged candy corn. Check out Walmart.

Those orange and black taffy things are horrible! I don't think kids will eat them.

So there's corn, popcorn, kettle corn and candy corn. Is that the four main corn groups in the USA? :)

heinous orange or black wrapped peanut flavored taffy

Charles H. Miller opened a confectionary shop in Boston, MA in 1884. His son, Charles N. Miller, was the one who invented Mary Janes - a molasses taffy made just at the soft ball stage, with peanut butter folded in the center.

Molasses taffy dates back to the mid-19th century. Molasses is boiled until thickened, then when partially cool, it is pulled to incorporate air into the cooked sugar mixture and give it lightness and chew.

Mary Janes are softer than many types of taffy, in part because the cooking process is halted earlier. Peanut butter was also being popularized at the turn of the 20th century, and many Halloween candies from that era incorporate peanut butter into the mix.

At some point, the small rectangular candies wrapped in an iconic yellow and red printed paper were succeeded by the "kisses" - the rough rounds wrapped in black or orange waxed paper. It's unclear whether the black and orange wrappers were to part of a marketing scheme to associate the candies with Halloween, or if they became associated with Halloween because of the wrappers. Either way, they are a staple old-time candy that still finds its way into candy jars and trick-or-treat bags from time to time

I love candy corn. I remember someone from work brought loads back from her trip to the USA. You can't seem to get it in the UK, even in the American candy shops.

For some reason I prefer American candy to British candy (although I do like British candy of course). All the American candy I've ever tried seems less sweet but still really tasty, and didn't leave my teeth all sensitive.

Candy corn seems to be a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. And the people that hate it seem to be very vocal.

I like candy corn, but I love the stuff in the pumpkin shape.
images.jpg

I will go through about 4 bags of these every October. The only way to limit how much I eat is to limit how often I buy them.

I USED TO EAT BOTH WHEN I WAS A KID!!! LOLLL
The thing with eating crayons came from my belief that my imaginary friends in my desk at school (I was 6) would eat crayon shavings that I left in a little pile in the corner inside the cubby (from sharpening them in a manual pencil sharpener)...so I had to try it of course. At least it was better than my cousin who ate dog biscuits! LOLL

Last edited:
My favorite candy corn is Brach's
ingredients: Sugar, Corn Syrup, Confectioner's Glaze (Shellac), Salt, Dextrose, Gelatin, Sesame Oil, Artificial Flavor, Honey, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 3. This product was manufactured in a facility where milk, eggs, tree nuts, coconut, peanuts, wheat and soy are used in the production of other products.

New Threads

Top Bottom