• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can we have a PPR please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliveOilMom

I have some missing posts.
It's a subforum to discuss politics, philosophy and religion. I know it sounds like it's a bad idea but there are lots of good debates and discussions to be had. Please?

Also, I know that those discussions are more apt to get heated than other ones, so if we just had a hands off except for attacking and flaming rule in that subforum it should handle it ok.

I know PPR was a WP thing, but I really liked lots of the discussions and I don't see a subforum for discussing politics, religion or general news stories.

If there is an area for these types of discussions, let me know please.

This interests me hugely and since I am a christian and do not involve myself in politics, I do not need to get heated lol ie neutral

This interests me hugely and since I am a christian and do not involve myself in politics, I do not need to get heated lol ie neutral

You'd like a PPR subforum too? Yay!

As a Christian though, don't you feel that you have strong opinions on some political issues? Most of my Christian friends do, and there are long threads on FB where lots of friends debate issues like gay marriage, abortion, stem cell research, etc that people of all religious persuasions have strong feelings on, but I've found that most Christians I know do have strong opinions on political issues that they feel could be contrary to their religious beliefs.

I'd hope we have enough folks here who can debate and agree to disagree without making them dislike someone with a different opinion. I love debating with people who have a different opinion than me. I like hearing their arguments and reasons and debating points of their arguments etc. Of course nobody ever really changes their minds on the original issue, but it's fun to talk about.

I have one good friend who is a preacher, and a very devout Southern Baptist. He's against abortion, gay marriage and stem cell research. I'm pro choice, pro gay rights and I don't have a problem with stem cell research. We have sat on his porch and debated that stuff for hours. It gets heated, about the issue though, not about each other. We completely disagree on lots of topics, but are still friends and still like each other very much. Thats the kind of debate I like. He's able to get down and dirty with the argument while still being polite and refilling my tea glass and I'm reminding him that it's time for his insulin and going to get it for him because it's downstairs and I'm 20 years younger so it's easier for me to run get it than he is, etc.

I just looked at it. So this is a site to only talk about things relating to autism or unrelated things only in their relation to it?

I'm a "guest" on this site so probably get less than one vote - lol - but I personally do not think it is a good idea.

There are plenty of other forums on the net, including as you mentioned WP - for the more volatile topics of religion & politics to be 'debated".

I think the reality is that for such highly sensitive subjects, where people can hold very strong views & opinions, the tendency - & especially online - is for decorum & civility to fall apart; & ill will inevitably develops between the participants.

Instead of learning from each other & coming together on common ground, members separate over their differences & disagreements. A battlefield environment can even creep in.

To me that seems the opposite of the vibe at Aspies Central, where members can truly let their guard down & be themselves without fear of criticism or ridicule. The feeling is almost like a surrogate family of support & friendship, & many members do not even have families or a strong support network outside of this forum.

Think of the reason some WP members say they left there. It was partly because of the heated debates & lack of civility & respect for others that made some feel uncomfortable or unwelcome etc..

Of course anyone can choose to ignore or not participate in any discussion at any time.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Full disclosure: I myself only literally 'peeked' at the WP site AFTER learning about it from this site. I was not impressed nor would ever be interested in participating there.

Last edited:
I think everybody's opinion should be important. Why would your's not be as important as somebody else's? I've only been here a couple days lol.

I didn't leave WP because of the debate in PPR. Most of the PPR stuff stayed there and when threads turned into debate they were moved to PPR. It was pretty much a rule that PPR was the gloves off area but still didn't tolerate flames and attacks. The reason I left WP is the overly sensitive tone that the forum recently got. Everybody had to watch every word because someone, somewhere might get offended by it. I'm not talking about insulting someone, I'm talking about innocuous things. An example was that I was called an ageist and it was agreed that I was "ageist" because I said if I were single I'd only want to date guys who were aged 40 - 60. I'm 50.

It was the overall overly sensitive tone of the place that got me fed up with it, and the rampant conspiracy theories and the victim mentality that became overpowering there. I'm not talking about people who were actually victimized, I'm talking about turning everything into bullying or abuse or some sort of ism or ist behavior etc, etc, etc.

I think if it's going to be enforced as only an autism support site and the topics should be related to autism, then there are a lot of things here that shouldn't be here, you know?

Considering that I was looking for a site to discuss autism, and lots of other things, and because autism isn't the main focus of my life or even a big part of it really, as much as I've enjoyed posting here so far, it might not be the place for me.

I have one good friend who is a preacher, and a very devout Southern Baptist. He's against abortion, gay marriage and stem cell research. I'm pro choice, pro gay rights and I don't have a problem with stem cell research. We have sat on his porch and debated that stuff for hours. It gets heated, about the issue though, not about each other. We completely disagree on lots of topics, but are still friends and still like each other very much. Thats the kind of debate I like. He's able to get down and dirty with the argument while still being polite and refilling my tea glass and I'm reminding him that it's time for his insulin and going to get it for him because it's downstairs and I'm 20 years younger so it's easier for me to run get it than he is, etc.

Keep in mind that as real life friends, you both value your relationship & your heated discussion are held in person. It's not the same dynamic when people (especially strangers) discuss such hot button issues online.

Also, many members here have revealed personal information about themselves so there's the cloak of anonymity for some, but not for others.

In any case, I can understand your desire for robust discussion :) but just feel this is not the place for political & religious debates. Of course, the site admins make those calls anyway.

You'd like a PPR subforum too? Yay!

As a Christian though, don't you feel that you have strong opinions on some political issues? Most of my Christian friends do, and there are long threads on FB where lots of friends debate issues like gay marriage, abortion, stem cell research, etc that people of all religious persuasions have strong feelings on, but I've found that most Christians I know do have strong opinions on political issues that they feel could be contrary to their religious beliefs.

I'd hope we have enough folks here who can debate and agree to disagree without making them dislike someone with a different opinion. I love debating with people who have a different opinion than me. I like hearing their arguments and reasons and debating points of their arguments etc. Of course nobody ever really changes their minds on the original issue, but it's fun to talk about.

I would be telling fibs if I said I am like your preacher friend, for I am a typical aspie who tends to hate people disagreeing with me and quite controversial, but aspiecentral is actually helping me to calm down and since I am 100% better online than off, I will give ppr a good try lol

I stopped voting just before I was the legal age to vote because I could not get passed the notion that no politician is true; some have great intentions but soon get swallowed up. Then I became a christian, one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in my early 30 ' s and put my faith in God to put to rights what is wrong.

I am against homosexuality, because our Creator made man and woman to procreate, but I am NOT AGAINST THE PERSON. It is a misnomer that because one does not advocate it, that makes them homophobic. Lol I am not scared of gay people and my deceased brother in law was very gay and loved him. Also, I know there are a few gays on here, but I hope they do not get the sense of prejudice from me.

What does amuse me is that in the bible, we find clear answers to abortion and thus, why does there need to be heated debates on the ethics of it all? Surely if one is claiming to be a christian that should replace and debates on abortion, homosexuality, stem cells etc?

Daniel 2:44 states that there is going to be a heavenly government that will be set up to time indefinite and thus, my vote goes to my Creator, which is why I can be neutral talking about politics.

I must say that I find this kind of chatting to be most stimulating. I used to have a brilliant time with my brother in law and we would get very heated but the next minute, we would be laughing over passages in our favourite books lol and my poor husband just could not get it.

What I am learning is that not everyone wants to live in a world without wars, sickness and the such. I am currently on Jeremiah and whoa eye opener indeed.

If I feel myself going into meltdown, I will back out. One thing I want to strive for is to not be seen as a trouble maker on here. Already another, I think believes I am pro gays, but I chose to not respond for it was not the place to start preaching the wrongs and rights of something and I answer threads by gays and feel sure they do not consider I am against them. Although lol this might cause issues; hope not.

Oh, indeed I am learning a lot on this forum on how to be friendly without getting angry.

Oh, indeed I am learning a lot on this forum on how to be friendly without getting angry.
Agreed. I had some people really pissed me off. However, I be careful how I write. On the rare time, there some people like to argue for the stake of argue. In those cases, I will not get involved.

Keep in mind that as real life friends, you both value your relationship & your heated discussion are held in person. It's not the same dynamic when people (especially strangers) discuss such hot button issues online.

Also, many members here have revealed personal information about themselves so there's the cloak of anonymity for some, but not for others.

In any case, I can understand your desire for robust discussion :) but just feel this is not the place for political & religious debates. Of course, the site admins make those calls anyway.

Yep, it is up to the admins, but I see which way it's going to go. Politics nor religion are directly autism related so it's not here. I'm really hoping that this isn't going to be one of those sites where it's decided that as aspies we are too fragile and sensitive to discuss things like that. However, if it is, I'll be glad to find out early on before I get too involved in posting here and enjoying it too much.

I'm all for not being offensive and respecting other people's boundries, and following the social protocols of manners and general niceness are completely fine with me, but I just don't want to end back up in a place where I'm supposed to tiptoe around and surround myself with only sweetness and light lol.

Agreed. I had some people really pissed me off. However, I be careful how I write. On the rare time, there some people like to argue for the stake of argue. In those cases, I will not get involved.
And I so agree with you on that ie just for the sake of arguing and leaves me drained and so, back off fast. I have learned to do this from another site called: yahoo answers

OliveOilMom You might not have luck with PPR but if you give AC a chance, I think you might find many other things you can discuss about. What I can tell you being a member for 6 months, many people offer me great support. If it was not for this site, I might be in a mental institution. I still consider AC a very flexible site if you take a look of all the posts was written on here that non autism related.

Suzanne, I didn't quote your post because it was long, but I'm responding to you.

As for the Bible telling people about abortion, etc, there are many, many interpretations of the it and there are some Christians who don't think it's wrong. Also, not everyone is Christian either ;-)

I used to write an op-ed column paper for a paper in Bham, and I really enjoy debate and discussion of those things. I wrote about politics and religion and lots of other ordinary everyday things that I felt were important as well. My opinions weren't that popular with some groups because I'm pretty liberal compared to some other folks. I enjoyed writing but got tired of it after a while, and have thought about doing it again but I just can't get into it right now. I thought about writing other things, but I also got so used to keeping opinion pieces to column length that I have trouble writing much longer things like novel or even short story length pieces.

It doesn't look like we are going to get a PPR, so I guess I can forget that idea. From the things that I have been pointed to on this thread, I also gathered that if it's not autism related then there's not much of a need for it here. Because autism isn't that big a part of my life, I may not have as much to talk about here as I thought I would.

Of course the opinions of autistic people about politics and religions could be argued to be autism related, but I'm kind of getting the feeling that argument is frowned on here. :)

I think everybody's opinion should be important. Why would your's not be as important as somebody else's? I've only been here a couple days lol.

I didn't leave WP because of the debate in PPR. Most of the PPR stuff stayed there and when threads turned into debate they were moved to PPR. It was pretty much a rule that PPR was the gloves off area but still didn't tolerate flames and attacks. The reason I left WP is the overly sensitive tone that the forum recently got. Everybody had to watch every word because someone, somewhere might get offended by it. I'm not talking about insulting someone, I'm talking about innocuous things. An example was that I was called an ageist and it was agreed that I was "ageist" because I said if I were single I'd only want to date guys who were aged 40 - 60. I'm 50.

It was the overall overly sensitive tone of the place that got me fed up with it, and the rampant conspiracy theories and the victim mentality that became overpowering there. I'm not talking about people who were actually victimized, I'm talking about turning everything into bullying or abuse or some sort of ism or ist behavior etc, etc, etc.

I think if it's going to be enforced as only an autism support site and the topics should be related to autism, then there are a lot of things here that shouldn't be here, you know?

Considering that I was looking for a site to discuss autism, and lots of other things, and because autism isn't the main focus of my life or even a big part of it really, as much as I've enjoyed posting here so far, it might not be the place for me.

Aww you've removed your avatar & quote about your dog! :( Check out the discussion threads. There are a lot of interesting topics & there is not an 'autism topic' only rule. And I am LOL because I'm personally with you about the victimization thing, & the ism's, & not liking a 'politically correct' environment & the whole micro-aggression overly sensitive thing that many people have going on today!!! Two of my pet peeves are entitlement feelings :D & conspiracy theories!! :D

I don't think anyone here would call you names or consider you 'ageist' for wanting to date within a certain age group if you were single! OMG more lol :D

But this is just a very respectful forum where members seem to care about each other ... which is a really nice thing! SO why don't you stay awhile & give it a chance. Did you scan through the old discussions?

Suzanne, I didn't quote your post because it was long, but I'm responding to you.

As for the Bible telling people about abortion, etc, there are many, many interpretations of the it and there are some Christians who don't think it's wrong. Also, not everyone is Christian either ;-)

I used to write an op-ed column paper for a paper in Bham, and I really enjoy debate and discussion of those things. I wrote about politics and religion and lots of other ordinary everyday things that I felt were important as well. My opinions weren't that popular with some groups because I'm pretty liberal compared to some other folks. I enjoyed writing but got tired of it after a while, and have thought about doing it again but I just can't get into it right now. I thought about writing other things, but I also got so used to keeping opinion pieces to column length that I have trouble writing much longer things like novel or even short story length pieces.

It doesn't look like we are going to get a PPR, so I guess I can forget that idea. From the things that I have been pointed to on this thread, I also gathered that if it's not autism related then there's not much of a need for it here. Because autism isn't that big a part of my life, I may not have as much to talk about here as I thought I would.

Of course the opinions of autistic people about politics and religions could be argued to be autism related, but I'm kind of getting the feeling that argument is frowned on here. :)

Oh I appreciate that not everyone wants to be a christian; I was actually making reference to your christian friends lol and so, since they are claiming to be a believer, my argument still stands.

I must disagree that the bible can be interpreted in different ways, regarding hot topics of conversation. I read my bible every day and often refer to other versions, to know. What happens is that many do not like to read the truth and so, they twist scripture around, ie take a word and say it means this, instead of that.

I only discovered aspergers, some 5 year's ago when I was 40 and so, for me, it is who I am, not a part of my personality and yes, I am horrendously sensitive, but only when I feel attacked.

I have found that there are variety of subjects talked about on here, including religion and lol the most heated one is stereotyping aspies and being rude against nts.

Last edited:
OliveOilMom You might not have luck with PPR but if you give AC a chance, I think you might find many other things you can discuss about. What I can tell you being a member for 6 months, many people offer me great support. If it was not for this site, I might be in a mental institution. I still consider AC a very flexible site if you take a look of all the posts was written on here that non autism related.

If the question mark thing is because I removed my avatar and profile info, I'm not leaving right now. I just removed it because it's not about autism. I read that the site is to discuss things about autism and how they relate to autism, and my dog has nothing to do with autism, nor does my preferences for movies or books, etc.

I came here because I wanted another forum to chat on, and discuss lots of topics. AS is interesting to me, especially since I found out that I have it, but it's not the only topic that I enjoy discussing. Like someone else said, there are tons of forums out there, and trust me I've tried to find them because I enjoy forums. I haven't found any one that had a wide range of things to discuss that wasn't geared toward a particular age group, population demographic, political or religious affiliation, or something like that. Forums like this get a wide range of people with many differing opinions, and that was one reason that I enjoyed debate and discussion on WP until it got so PC and I want to say sensitivity aware but that doesn't fit it, so I'll say sensitivity mandated. It got to where you couldn't state an opinion without it being called some kind of discrimination, bigotry, hate, mental issue, etc. Well, you could if it was the right opinion and while certainly not everyone was like that, more and more people started going over to that camp after a while. It became an example of someone being offended or at least feigning offense because they were told they should be offended.

Either way, I'll forget about a PPR and I'll look around and post here when I have something to say that is related to AS. That won't be anywhere nearly as often as it would be if it were a support forum for people with AS to discuss AS, AS related topics and anything else we are interested in. I'm aware that there is a special interests forum, but having special interests can be caused by AS, so it's related. I may try again to find a place to post and talk about general topics and things that go on in life, but I've looked and looked and there isn't a good general forum out there, so I guess I'll just keep my opinions and my personal life and any issues that bother me that aren't related to autism to myself.

If the question mark thing is because I removed my avatar and profile info
You are correct.

I got the first solution for you. Why don't you PM Suzanne so you can continue this discussion. Also, if there other people like to talk about PPR stuff, you can have multiple people in an PM. I done multiple PM before on and it really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom