• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can someone help me use RTT to talk to people with my iPhone?

grommet

RTT means I can type during a phone call to someone and they can speak to me but instead of my voice they will see what I am typing. It would change my life if I could use this. Forcing myself to speak is so hard, sometimes it is awful. RTT would help me so much. But I cannot figure out how to use it.

I tried very hard to learn. I looked for Youtube videos, I contacted every agency I could think to ask but no one knew or could help me. I think it is something simple for someone who knows how to do it.

Can you tell me how I nea learn to do it? I have it set up on my phone, each time I call it is a choise now I can select but when I tried using it with the California Relay Service, they did not know I was talking. I do not understand if RTT on Apple iPhone only works if I am talking to someone who is using an iPhone but if they are on a regular phone, like a landline, they would not see my typed responses.

I am not explaining this well. I mentioned The California Relay Service because they have a service where you can type to them, the operator reads it and speaks it out loud to the person on the line you called to speak with. Normally you need a TTY for Deaf to do it but they are so expensive. I want to know how I can use my iPhone instead, if that is possible.

Can you help?

I was going to suggest the TTY services for deaf people but you've already explored that. I didn't know it was expensive. I really hate phones, I can do it if I have to and perform reasonably well but it costs me dearly.

I email people instead. Sometimes it takes a fair bit of investigative work to find an email address but I got good at that. I email and explain that I have difficulties with phones and that I wish to arrange a face to face contact.

The most common response to this is: Certainly sir, if you'll just phone this number....

And I'm supposed to be the one with mental problems. :)

I don't give in though, people react very differently towards me when they see me come striding through the front door. Yes, I hate phones that much.

From what I've read

it sounds like it basically allows you to do live text messaging within a call, in which case it would work when the other party is also using a newer smartphone. Those with an older style phone may have difficulties seeing the messages, and if they're using a land line (which would be the case for most non-personal phone lines e.g organizations and companies), then it's not going to work unfortunately, as you noted.

I was going to suggest the TTY services for deaf people but you've already explored that. I didn't know it was expensive. I really hate phones, I can do it if I have to and perform reasonably well but it costs me dearly.

I email people instead. Sometimes it takes a fair bit of investigative work to find an email address but I got good at that. I email and explain that I have difficulties with phones and that I wish to arrange a face to face contact.

The most common response to this is: Certainly sir, if you'll just phone this number....

And I'm supposed to be the one with mental problems. :)

I don't give in though, people react very differently towards me when they see me come striding through the front door. Yes, I hate phones that much.

I need to be able to speak to people on the phone. Customer service at businesses need to be spoken to live. A few have the chat option but I need a way to make a phone call and type instead of speak. RTT is for that but I have not figured it out. If I have no choice I will buy a TTY. It seems to me that my iPhone, iPad and laptop could be used for this. I might be wrong. I am trying to find out for sure.

From what I've read

it sounds like it basically allows you to do live text messaging within a call, in which case it would work when the other party is also using a newer smartphone. Those with an older style phone may have difficulties seeing the messages, and if they're using a land line (which would be the case for most non-personal phone lines e.g organizations and companies), then it's not going to work unfortunately, as you noted.

Thank you for working so hard to find all that information. I only need a way to be able to type text that the relay service can use. They would speak for me. A TTY will do that, I am trying to understand if I can contact them using an iPhone or iPad and use it like a TTY. When I tried it the operator did not see my responses so I think RTT with Apple products will not work that way, that only a TTY will. I will look at them, I would need something portable. I already carry an iPad to type and communicate, more to carry will be a lot of weight and I am worried it will be expensive but it may be the solution.

I think I have read the Apple help documents you showed me. I tried using RTT with a friend and it worked easily, he saw everything I typed and I heard him, just like a regular call but we both have iPhones.

I have found this information from the government. I copied and pasted it and included the link. If someone would read this and help me understand it I will be grateful.

Advantages to RTT
In addition to improving accessible emergency communications, RTT has several advantages over TTY:

• RTT can eliminate the need to purchase specialized devices, such as TTYs, to send text in real time over wireless phones.
  • Calls using RTT can be initiated and received using the same ten-digit numbers used for voice calls.
  • Both parties to an RTT call can send and receive text in real time at the same time, unlike TTYs, which requires turn-taking.
  • RTT is more reliable than TTY technology over IP networks – this means there will be less garbling and fewer drop-offs on calls.
  • RTT provides callers with more characters for typing than TTYs do. For example, with RTT, you can use the “@” key, alphabets in multiple languages, and emojis, allowing conversations using the full “international character set.”
  • Both RTT and voice can be used, either at the same time or interchangeably, during the same call.
With RTT, you can call:

• Other RTT users, regardless of the network or device they use
  • Emergency services by dialing 911
  • Relay services by dialing 711
  • TTY users, including individuals, businesses, and government agencies

I also found this page explaining but I cannot understand it, would someone look at this and help explain it?

I know I am asking a lot and no one has to help me with this but I honestly have tried very hard for a year to learn this myself and I cannot. It would mean everything to me if I could do this.

I have done it.

I did more research and found a Youtube video and some other things. I made a call to the Relay service using my MacBook and the operator saw what I was typing and I could hear her speak. That is what I have been trying to do for so long. I do not know if I will remember the steps, I think I need to practice but then I think I will know how to to do it.

The next thing is to learn to do it with my iPad, which I think will be the same. Then when I am away from home and not with my MacBook I will be able to still make calls.

Thank you for helping me :)

New Threads

Top Bottom