• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can People use Their Brains These Days?

Most people lost their brains in the last zombie apocalypse. There is supposedly some delay in the restocking. A supply issue really.

Isn't asking questions and being curious about something a sign of intelligence? I love to explain things so when people ask me questions about something I actually know, I can hardly contain myself.
"Monster Hunter" is too vague. If I was interested in the game I'd want to know more about it besides the fact you hunt monsters because there are so many games out there where you hunt monsters, fight monsters, trap monsters, or raise monsters you've captured.

Read synopsis' written on books and websites and you'll get an idea for the level of detail involved in a question like that.

Yes, and that gives me an idea of what they're expecting. I can even agree, sometimes, that a given synopsis gives a pretty decent impression what the story is like. But it's one thing to see that, and another thing to replicate it.

I mean, I'm not saying I can't, at all, not the slightest bit. I do my best, when I need to. It's just very hard, and I had real trouble with it when I was a kid. I remember my dad getting mad at me one time because he asked me what the book I was reading was about, and I just stared at him blankly because I had no idea what to say. And book reports in school were... difficult.

If you ask a question about something you're unsure about, you have a chance to learn about it. If you don't ask that question to avoid being seen as stupid, you stay ignorant. Which really is the sign of stupidity?

Sexuality is not so easy for many people - you may have known from the get-go but there are people that struggle with it and can't understand it. Gaming and names of games are similar but that was already talked about.

The thing is, people, are not you. They don't have the same knowledge and experience as you do. As such, they may have little idea on things you consider obvious. For many body language and social nuances are obvious and asking about them shows how stupid you are - but does it mean that an autistic person lacking an understanding on social rules and asking about them is stupid?

Which doesn't really change the fact that some questions may be annoying - but more of a sign of either close-mindedness or ignorance than stupidity per se.

I've got this.

It's when I put a sign on my door which said 'Pull' on the side that you had to push.

I waited 5 years until a house visitor read the sign and kept 'pulling' the door to open it.

Do I win anything?
What about filling out a delivery form and not knowing what to put in the first name category !so putting in food bank !interestingly enough when it finally put all the details through it wasn’t addressed as Ms !food bank !It gives you no indication how to address it !!!if it wasn’t to a residential address !!!I contacted the organisation that was delivering it but if I try to use the chat feature my mind goes blank!

What about filling out a delivery form and not knowing what to put in the first name category !so putting in food bank !interestingly enough when it finally put all the details through it wasn’t addressed as Ms !food bank !It gives you no indication how to address it !!!if it wasn’t to a residential address !!!I contacted the organisation that was delivering it but if I try to use the chat feature my mind goes blank!

I think you've qualified. :)

I am getting tired of people asking stupid questions. When I came out as bisexual, he asked how I know that I'm bisexual. Well, I didn't answer that, considering it was a stupid (and slightly annoying and mildly offensive) question to ask. Probably should have just used his think brain in that situation. I know I am bisexual the same way he knows he is straight.

Another example is sometimes when I talk to knew friends about my favorite game series, Monster Hunter. I tell them that it is a game series by Capcom, figuring the rest would be explained by the title. But, nope, I get the occasional "so what is this game about." I obviously resist the being sassy and saying, "well, honey, it's called Monster Hunter. What do you think it is about? Owning a puppy and taking care of it as it grows up?"

Gosh. Some people wouldn't be able to pour water out of a jug even if the instructions are printed in big, bold letters on it.

Sorry for the mini rant. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Hmm, my answer to this is that there are probably things you struggle with understanding (as many on the spectrum do) and asking for clarification is ok... I’m sure you have never gone through the process of asking multiple questions about a topic that infuriated others. I think anyone on the spectrum has. :rolleyes:

do you mean the basket was made of exotic butter or it was a basket with exotic butter in it ?
Basket with exotic butters in this, just like this:
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

Basket with exotic butters in this, just like this:
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg
Why does there have to be choice ?the years that is has taken off me !, having to decide or discern ,perceive , if only !!!!!!!!there had been a basket of exotic butter, not ( larger inward exasperated scream )that people could create a basket out of butter ( inward tiny exasperated scream ).

The simplest answer to your question is: "No".

Now that being said, sometimes things arent so cut and dry.

Gaming for instance. With how bloody bizarre games can get... and with how deceptive they can be... a mere name isnt enough to tell someone what it's really about.

"Monster Hunter" is a third-person action boss-rush game, but purely based on that name, it also COULD be:

A first person hunting experience, where you're tracking spoor and all those other things (like Evolve did, except without the multiplayer nonsense).

A squad-based tactical RTS with an overhead view, where you control a full team of heroes out to stop some rampaging horror.

A very tense game about a team of investigators trying to hunt down and destroy various eldritch horrors of a Lovecraftian nature. Survival horror sort of thing, maybe, where you dont have the strength to fight directly and thus have to use more sneaky means to finish the "hunt", and you're exploring, I dunno, creepy old mansions or something to find the things.

Also, you joke about "raising a puppy" there, but... what if that WAS the game concept? Maybe a game where, instead of doing the hunting, you raise and tame something to hunt FOR you? Like you send them on hunts after various targets and so on. I think this concept has actually been done before. The "Monster Hunter" in the title would be the creature that you are raising.

I could probably keep this up for a few pages, but you get the idea. Even if the name itself seems like an obvious descriptor, it COULD really mean pretty much anything. To you it seems that much more silly that others dont know what it's like entirely BECAUSE you already do know what it's like.

And it gets even more confusing when you bring non-gamers into the mix. They ask silly questions because they have no frame of reference. Keep in mind, exposed to things you are not familiar with, there's a very high chance you'd ask the same sort of question: one that seems sensible to you, but sounds just absurd to the person who is already in the know. I know I sure sound like that if I were to ask a question about cars, for instance. Dont know the first thing about cars.

Anyway, just some stuff to think about. There, I'm done now.

Thank you very much for this answer. It makes me feel like you are standing up for people like me who are often confused and need help understanding something that seems obvious. I have been laughed at a lot. I know things other people do not. It does not mean they are stupid (not that anyone in this thread has said that). I once had to explain to someone what the "on" switch to a computer was and where they would see it.

My ex girlfriend complained to me once during a phone call about a woman at the laundry mat who had lots of questions and kept asking for help understanding how to use the machines. My girlfriend insulted her so many times as she talked about her. It hurt me so badly hearing her do this. When she was finished I said that woman sounds like me, sometimes I need help with simple things. I did not tell her how much it hurt me that she thought so badly of this woman because it must mean she felt that way about me too.

I often ask questions so that I can understand something. Many times I have been afraid to speak up because I don't like being made to feel stupid.
The choice is..take a chance and ask a question and look stupid/naive or be quiet and look smart but feel more isolated.

♥️

New Threads

Top Bottom