• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

“Camouflaging” of Autistic Traits (Masking) linked to internalizing symptoms such as anxiety and depression

I've just noted this for cause: if you don't resemble a male in workplace, then you can't be taken seriously.
So confusion is that my eating disorder rendered me a geek figure but men don't think of it this way, even if I my dress code is tom-boyish, grey slacks with comfy smart talkies, so dying my hair black was making my life easier.

I realise I'm a confusion to people, some of us are a-sexual

Having read about few women who do enter math tournaments....firstly it's quite an achievement for a women to just be there in a man's world. The findings are in my opinion inconclusive due to fact that many men numbers may also have certain unanswered questions, so if we had more women competing we would also have more correct answers.

Another point is difference between invention and a discovery and oh no but accidental discovery that lead to many findings.

If we can scan a women's brain and say algebra receptors don't work and she sees world in pictures then we can explain what causes epilepsy and detailed analysis of how psychiatric drugs work

Often IQ tests are prejudice and one a women was given same access to knowledge on how do we know what vitamins are in a food type, then women readily performing as well as men.

I'm glad this was posted, so my comment is not direct at the OP, but:

I'm astounded we need a study to tell us being inauthentic is unhealthy. I thought our culture worshiped data, before, but this is so laughable. What next? "Study Shows Most Autistic People See Themselves as Human"?

"Study Shows Most Autistic People See Themselves as Human"
Well, it took me over 40 years to get to this point and even now, I’m not always sure.

I think a part of it is that inauthenticity can be learned as being polite. For my part, I didn’t know what authentic was for very long before I started to adapt my behavior. So, it was seen as something that I should do to be a good person. I see what you’re saying, but it only makes sense in retrospect that inauthentic behavior and masking would lead to serious problems. From the other side, growing up, it felt more like learning manners.

Last edited:
Well, it took me over 40 years to get to this point and even now, I’m not always sure.

Then, I will buy you this, because you are very human :)

Arched Metal Full-length Standing Floor Mirror - On Sale - Overstock -  34449582

And a very good example of one, as well!

I'm glad this was posted, so my comment is not direct at the OP, but:

I'm astounded we need a study to tell us being inauthentic is unhealthy. I thought our culture worshiped data, before, but this is so laughable. What next? "Study Shows Most Autistic People See Themselves as Human"?
Good strategy Mr. Stevens to keep your sense of humour and have a timid sense so avoid loosing the plot!!
I finished understanding epilepsy to autism connections from what I understand and now I'm unhappy as I don't have a challenge to keep me busy.

Some people still think we need fixing, they need a professional opinion to verify facts, and so owl takes flight I to night....

"masking" is a very subjective term. I understand the premise that our interpersonal idiosyncrasies change depending on environment and certain people present. Most of my life I haven't mask really at all in regards to behaviors, greetings or expressive facial features to fit in. I may have with-held or filtered my speech, raw sheer bluntness of transparency or re-allocate my "what value do I have in this or what I have actual control over?" I have adapted/masked in that regard to recoup as much energy as possible. Im not going to roll out thinking Im a spicy ambivert by any means.

I feel masking can be transformative in some contexts (like job interviews) but if you set the bar too high and are unable to maintain that mask then that is a big red flag for most. The goal would try to mask as little as possible to net a level of equilibrium in your present environment. Less mask can be an automatic distancing tool for most and those that find you mysterious maybe intrigued as well. Being stoic, person of few words, flat/blunted affect can make people feel intimidated or uneasy and they typically respond with more nonsensical conversations to calm their own anxiety. (describing myself)

Last edited:
Link to Article by PsyPost.org

Article Transcript:
---
A study of autistic children and adolescents in Australia showed that those suffering from anxiety, depression or similar symptoms (apart from autism) showed a more pronounced tendency to try to mask their autistic traits in social situations. Adolescents were also more likely to camouflage their autistic traits than children. The study was published in Autism Research.

Autism or autism spectrum disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by communication and social difficulties, restricted interests and repetitive behavior. It is more common in boys than in girls. On the other hand, studies show that clinicians and teachers are less likely to detect autistic traits in girls than in boys.

Camouflaging of autistic traits has been identified as a potential barrier to early identification of autism. Camouflaging is a set of behaviors intended to hide or mask one’s autistic traits in social situations. It is a coping strategy applied in order to “fit in.” It first develops during childhood and adolescence. While camouflaging, children may deliberately copy body language of another person or mimic facial expressions, gestures, interests, and topics of conversation.

Research indicates that engaging in camouflaging is exhausting and may led to detrimental health outcomes, such as stress, anxiety and depression. While early researchers have often seen camouflaging as something positive, autistic people themselves describe it as “adaptive morphing” in response to social, emotional and physical risk of harm. It is a survival strategy.

Study author Alice Ross and her colleagues aimed to examine how much autistic children and adolescents engage in camouflaging. They expected that camouflaging would be higher in females than in males, that females will be rated by their parents — but not by clinicians — as more impaired than males, and that camouflaging will be associated with the intensity of internalizing symptoms (problems in the internal psychological functioning of a person, such as depression, anxiety, etc.).
Participants were 359 girls and 374 boys diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (age ranged between 4 and a bit below 18 years). The researchers used the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule to assess social communication, social interaction, play and restricted and repetitive behaviors of participants.

Parents completed assessments of children’s social communication (the Social Responsiveness Scale) and of emotional and behavioral difficulties (the Child Behavior Checklist). Camouflaging was estimated as the difference between scores on assessment of difficulties given by clinicians and those given by parents. Parents reporting more difficulties than clinicians indicates that the child was camouflaging autistic traits while interacting with the clinician.

Results showed that parents of girls reported more communication difficulties for their children than parents of boys. There were no gender differences in assessments given by clinicians. Results also showed that children above 13 years of age had more pronounced camouflaging that children below 13.

Higher camouflaging scores were associated with more pronounced internalizing symptoms i.e., higher levels of depression, anxiety or similar symptoms. This association was independent of age, gender or intelligence of the person.

“This research provided evidence for the role of camouflaging in autistic children and adolescents, including the presence of gender differences in parent and clinician reports of autistic traits, and the relationship between camouflaging and internalizing symptoms such as anxiety and depression. It also highlighted the potential impact of age on camouflaging, although further research is required to understand this in more depth,” the researchers concluded.

This study broadens scientific knowledge on the social functioning of children and adolescents with autism. However, it also has limitations that need to be considered. Notably, the study design does not allow for any cause-and-effect conclusions to be made. It remains unknown whether more extensive use of camouflaging leads to internalizing symptoms or vice versa.

Additionally, the study authors did not interview and assess the children themselves, but only analyzed data on these children that was available in the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative’s (SFARI) Simons Simplex Collection (SSC) database.

The study, “The relationship between camouflaging and mental health in autistic children and adolescents”, was authored by Alice Ross, Rachel Grove, and John McAloon.
breathing to help with anxiety

"masking" is a very subjective term. I understand the premise that our interpersonal idiosyncrasies change depending on environment and certain people present. Most of my life I haven't mask really at all in regards to behaviors, greetings or expressive facial features to fit in. I may have with-held or filtered my speech, raw sheer bluntness of transparency or re-allocate my "what value do I have in this or what I have actual control over?" I have adapted/masked in that regard to recoup as much energy as possible. Im not going to roll out thinking Im a spicy ambivert by any means.

I feel masking can be transformative in some contexts (like job interviews) but if you set the bar too high and are unable to maintain that mask then that is a big red flag for most. The goal would try to mask as little as possible to net a level of equilibrium in your present environment. Less mask can be an automatic distancing tool for most and those that find you mysterious maybe intrigued as well. Being stoic, person of few words, flat/blunted affect can make people feel intimidated or uneasy and they typically respond with more nonsensical conversations to calm their own anxiety. (describing myself)
"Spicy Ambivert" XD lol that's so me. I'm both. Lol wow, that last part is interesting. I have been very stoic, calm, chill and quiet at school before. That's why I was awarded the quietest person in my year level, so proud of that :) The whole crowd cheered for me then knowing damn well it was me :DD

New Threads

Top Bottom